Exhaust Myths vs Reality

I didn't think I'd get this much science with my Busa. :rulez:
I'm going exhaust shopping this weekend, and I'm interested in the Micron setup. I like the look of the Dual setup, but I've heard that two into one is the best for hp. This post would prove that to be wrong. Thanks. This also would mean that slip on's are basically for looks and sound only right?:bowdown:

i have the hayabusa 2008 model.

i have 4-2-1 Tiforce exhaust pipes and pippercross air filter...thats it.
Now, the low and midrange power is weak...high range from 120mph till 200mph it goes very fast...
What can i do to improve my low and mid range?

1. power commander (which i dont want to put)
2.Or use the yoshi box to improve all the range?

thanks...

had to read it again.

now have to make a apointment with the optometrist
cool.gif

Nope its not from reading the tech post, and trust me on this, its from watching your avatar too long!

I'm not sure how you can see an increase of 10% even with reduced pumping losses.

A 10% increase (say...15 HP) is very near the upper limit of available power gain with full exhaust, PAIR mod, air box mod, and proper mapping on an internally-stock Busa engine on gasoline. I've seen a lot of Busa dyno charts that range from 10 HP to 16/17 HP gains with the average being in the 12 - 14 HP area with these mods. Pumping losses are considerable with the factory exhaust. Otherwise, such gains would not be so readily possible. The factory exhaust is the result of several "compromises"... the visual desirability of (heavy) twin exhausts, EPA mandates, and cost being primary among them.[/QUOTE]

In other words we "enjoy" larger than average gains because Busas have more restricted than average exhausts?

In other words we "enjoy" larger than average gains because Busas have more restricted than average exhausts?

Ballpark gain on a Busa with a full exhaust and good dyno tune is around 7-10 hp and 4-5 lb ft of torque.
I wouldn't think of it as a larger than average gain over other bikes with comparable numbers, like a zx12/14, and most liter bikes.
Later model bikes with catalytic converters could see slightly higher gains(guesstimate a hp or 2)simply from not having them in aftermarket full systems.
But, at the end of the day, they are just numbers on paper. As the difference in elavation, air temp, humidity, dyno, dyno tuner, and even the minimal differences between 2 identical bikes can vary quite a bit.
The best hp/trq gains on internally stock Busa/liter bikes(as alwyas when properly tuned) seem to be from Brocks Alienheads or drag pipes. Or if you prefer a little quieter, an Akropovic.

And, welcome to the org
We like endless friendly arguments here:laugh:

And, welcome to the org
We like endless friendly arguments here

Hey thanks Bud
I like the Akropovic but would dread the first time someone came up and said "hey nice pipes, how do you pronounce that? ;<)

And, welcome to the org
We like endless friendly arguments here

Hey thanks Bud
I like the Akropovic but would dread the first time someone came up and said "hey nice pipes, how do you pronounce that? ;<)

I peeled the stickers off mine

Ah krop uh vitch

SDC10559.jpg

SDC10555.jpg

Ti-Force makes a a full single and a full dual exhaust also, and with carbon fiber, ss, or titanium mufflers.
They are out of business and used are hard to come by.
But high quality and big gains for just an exhaust.
A deep tone unique to the brand.
Always something to get if you run across one, as you'll have no problem selling it if you don't like it for any reason.

Ti-Force makes a a full single and a full dual exhaust also, and with carbon fiber, ss, or titanium mufflers.
They are out of business and used are hard to come by.
But high quality and big gains for just an exhaust.
A deep tone unique to the brand.
Always something to get if you run across one, as you'll have no problem selling it if you don't like it for any reason.

If you can find a Sumo it's the best of them from Tiforce

Back