Cars that repossess themselves...

Ford patented a system that will allow their vehicles to lock out owners and drive themselves to an impound yard if the owner misses payments...

I read that BMW will have monthly payments for heated seats...you will pay that like you pay Sirrus I guess...

The future is coming and it sucks...

I guess the laws in Canada may be a little more lax. In the U.S. there is a bit more of a legal process. I think it was Ford who got sued here because they shut a car off remotely. And that car was in traffic underway. Endangering the owner.

A repossession is a legal process. They would probably have to ensure owner was notified when the car was going to be disabled. Or get sued into oblivion.

Then like Kiwi said, they just torch it. And get an insurance settlement.

So I see some kinks in this idea. At least here in America anyway.

I guess the laws in Canada may be a little more lax. In the U.S. there is a bit more of a legal process. I think it was Ford who got sued here because they shut a car off remotely. And that car was in traffic underway. Endangering the owner.

A repossession is a legal process. They would probably have to ensure owner was notified when the car was going to be disabled. Or get sued into oblivion.

Then like Kiwi said, they just torch it. And get an insurance settlement.

So I see some kinks in this idea. At least here in America anyway.
I see kinks in this idea anywhere....I'd like to see the car repossess itself while it's locked in a garage...

I was just passing along the ideology of these companies....

other cars already have similar tech but maybe not to this level hence the patents. on star for example can shut a car off (like during a police pursuit), tell you gps location, call the driver or the police. some cars also allow you to store your garage door opener info so it will open it automatically where you get home. only makes sense the repo companies will get access to this info too. maybe if people would quit getting cars they can’t afford they would not be getting them repoed but that is topic for a different rabbit whole.

other cars already have similar tech but maybe not to this level hence the patents. on star for example can shut a car off (like during a police pursuit), tell you gps location, call the driver or the police. some cars also allow you to store your garage door opener info so it will open it automatically where you get home. only makes sense the repo companies will get access to this info too. maybe if people would quit getting cars they can’t afford they would not be getting them repoed but that is topic for a different rabbit whole.
Vehicles are getting so technical these days that anything and everything is possible.
A friend of mine has a BMW (something or other) and between him and automatic systems the car has it is pretty impressive..

He can go in an app on his phone and tell you everything there is to know about his car-when and what needs maintenance, how warm or cold it is inside the cabin, and for his novice drivers in the family-how many seat belts are in use, how loud the stereo is, how, how fast it's going, what it's location is, etc, etc, etc....

Gone are the days of jamming a screwdriver down the carburetor and dumping gas in there to get a car going when it's cold out...

I think turning a car off mid police pursuit would create some serious safety issues for innocents around. Can’t have a high speed car just shutting off middle of the road. Most cars have apps like BB said that allow you to do a lot. My F150 uses FordPass that allows me to locate it, lock it, unlock it, start it and turn it off if remote started like if I decided to stay somewhere longer. But once I physically get in and press the start button to fully wake it up the app no longer works.
I’ve been in the business for 27yrs. I take GM products in weekly. I’d have to see a link or something that says onstar can turn a car off when moving.

I think turning a car off mid police pursuit would create some serious safety issues for innocents around. Can’t have a high speed car just shutting off middle of the road. Most cars have apps like BB said that allow you to do a lot. My F150 uses FordPass that allows me to locate it, lock it, unlock it, start it and turn it off if remote started like if I decided to stay somewhere longer. But once I physically get in and press the start button to fully wake it up the app no longer works.
I’ve been in the business for 27yrs. I take GM products in weekly. I’d have to see a link or something that says onstar can turn a car off when moving.
I saw something on the show "Cops" once that showed them talking to a Yukon Denali owner that reported it stolen and somehow the owner was able to get it to shut down through some company...not sure it was "On Star"....I think the cops called it a "soft shut down" where it gradually shuts down to the point that it stops slowly.

Not 100% sure though..

I saw something on the show "Cops" once that showed them talking to a Yukon Denali owner that reported it stolen and somehow the owner was able to get it to shut down through some company...not sure it was "On Star"....I think the cops called it a "soft shut down" where it gradually shuts down to the point that it stops slowly.

Not 100% sure though..
Turning a car off while moving could wind up locking the steering lock. Car would be uncontrollable. What if it’s headed toward a dead end? Goes thru someone’s home or off a cliff?
I’d really have to see hard proof of that ability before I believed it. I’d also hazard a guess that if that ability was known folks would just plug into the OBD port and deactivate it.

Turning a car off while moving could wind up locking the steering lock. Car would be uncontrollable. What if it’s headed toward a dead end? Goes thru someone’s home or off a cliff?
I’d really have to see hard proof of that ability before I believed it. I’d also hazard a guess that if that ability was known folks would just plug into the OBD port and deactivate it.
I don't think the car lost power so the steering wheel wouldn't lock up...

There must be something out there on the interweb that tells us this stuff...

Of course now the bad guys can gain access through their devices and then drive away...there is a big push on to steal late model Ram trucks these days...

Back