Carbon Build Up on Intake Valves

E Zurcher

Registered
Last time I had my airbox off I noticed some carbon buildup on my intake valves similar to some of the other posts same subject. I usually fill up with shell gas. I was thinking of spraying some Seafoam on them and letting them sit for a couple of weeks. Anyone out there done something similar? I do use half a can every few tankfuls and am surprised I have the buildup.

Second question is does it affect performance and should I just leave them alone?

Carbon buildup can have an affect on performance for sure.

Every so often, I would get the engine to temp with the airbox removed and with a spray bottle I would squirt some water down the throttles and aim for the valves. I never had heavy buildup when using this method. Of course it all depends on the frequency that you clean them. This is just my approach and I'm sure there are plenty of other ones that work too.

The cold water shocks the carbon and breaks it. Beneath the upper layer carbon is very hard and breaks like glass when subjected to a rapid temperature change.

I'd run a good name brand fuel injection cleaner through the tank every few thousand miles. Just put the correct amount in one tank at a time until the bottle is empty. 5,000 miles later repeat.

Water will do nothing to the back side of the intake valve. Use chevron fuel system cleaner at the correct ratio. Use caution when using injector cleaner it's repeated use can/will damage injector winding insulation leading to shorted injectors

Not sure if your running a GENII or GENI or the grade of Shell gas your running. If your running a GENI with the OEM low compression and running 92+ octane this will cause carbon build. If you are running a GENI I would suggest 87 octane..
Try Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner.

I'm running an 09 Gen 2. I also use premium like I'm supposed to. Techron work better than seafoam? I thought Seafoam was the best. I have used techron on my truck with good results.

Carbon buildup can have an affect on performance for sure.

Every so often, I would get the engine to temp with the airbox removed and with a spray bottle I would squirt some water down the throttles and aim for the valves. I never had heavy buildup when using this method. Of course it all depends on the frequency that you clean them. This is just my approach and I'm sure there are plenty of other ones that work too.

I have done the same thing but I use chilled carb cleaner. I place the can in the fridge to chill it for a couple of hours and spray the valves

It is the Seafoam that is causing the build up. Stop using it and use Chevron Techron or Shell V Power fuel additive. Seafoam is the internet darling that will cure all ills...... it is a poor replacement for the real cleaners like the two I mentioned. I hate to be a Seafoam hater but it is not a pure cleaner like the others and all that mineral oil will leave a deposit. As bad as your build up is I would run 6 tanks of cleaner through the bike. Thats three bottles a half a bottle in each tank. Cheap to use and it really works! Good Luck!

Back