Can't get a Definative answer to the following

OccasionalBusa

Registered
I've searched high and low on numerous tyre threads, (and sorry to possibly rehash old "wounds"...:laugh:), but I've currently got a Pilot Road 2 190/50 which has done almost 9k kms of fast touring/scratch on New Zealand roads and am looking at changing it out sooner rather than later. Now my Aprilia Tuono/Falco and RSV s whenever they've had 190/50 tyres on have somewhat slowed the steering down. Looking at thw Busa manuals, and my bike is an 02 model, says a 190/50 is recommended. However the 190/55 tyre wasn't around back then. I'm matching the rear to a near newish this last NZ Pilot Power Pure front, (which by the way is an excellent tyre). I will go with the Road 2 2CT again, as it offers a good mileage as well as pretty good grip wet or dry.

Will going to a 190/55 tyre be a good thing to do, considering I like the 180/55 or 190/55 on my Aprilias?

On another note, I also researched the gearing options, and as I couldn't get access to the forum, whilst in NZ, I ended up throwing an 18F 38R, set of sprockets and a new chain at the bike just before I parked the bike up in my friends shed till next year. Unfortunately haven't found much info on this combo here in the forum after lots of seaching. It's the only combo the dealer had available in the limited time I had to service and clean the bike before coming back to Australia. Didn't even get a chance to ride it with this gearing so have no clue how it will go. Thoughts.

A couple of picks of the latest NZ trip. Got to ride an 09 blade, a gixxer thou, a KTM SM-T, the latest Ducati 1198s Multistrada, a 1050 Tiger amongst sessions on my Busa. We covered almost 5k Kms in 8 days on some of the best roads you can have a bike on in the world. We all have radar detectors, and Baehr intercomms so it's a balls out blast for the trip. Got the Busa to 300kph indicated (GPS 275kph on a couple of straight roads)

Couple of pics below of the trip and some scenery for those that might be jealous! :whistle:

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

DSCN3117.jpg

DSCN3142.jpg

The 190/55 rides good and handles about the same as the 190/50. The 180 tires do steer a little quicker, but I like the 190 tires on the big and heavy Busa better...it's more preference than anything.
Stock Gen2 Busa is 18/43 gearing with a 190/50, changing to a 190/55 is roughly the equivalent of 18/40 or 18/41 gearing.

Tks for the tyre bit, so what is 18/38 going to do? Too tall a gearing with the 190/55 tyre? The gearing chart i looked at on actually has no mention of 18/38.

Should I just go and get a 17/? with the 110 link chain I've put on? The old 112 link chain I had was absolutely fooked, and was adjusted all the way towards the back end of the markings, whereas with this gearing above, 17/38 it's twowards the front of the adjustment.

Tks

:coolcool:

Stock gen1 I belive is 17/40 or 17/42? I'de say 18/38 alone would be sluggish with a 190/50, changing to a 190/55 would roughly change your gearing to 18/36, even taller and worse.
A rule of thumb with stock chain lengths is that you can add or subtract 2 or 3 teeth and still have enough slack and adjustment.
Going up to an 18 in the front will make the bike "feel" like it has a little more torque too, as opposed to say dropping down to a 16 and "feeling" like you're revving through gears faster.
What sprockets and tire size do you have now, and what do you want to change it for?
This will make it easier to suggest what you may be looking for.

Going from the stock 17/40 to an 18/38 will convert your busa from a deamon to a dog. Add the larger 190/55 and it becomes a sick dog. That gearing is way to tall and will reduce your fuel mileage.

I'd recommend going back to at least stock gearing and if you are going to a 190/55 you may even consider going up a couple teeth in the back?

When the gears become to tall the engine begins to struggle to pull the load thus using more fuel.

Beautiful country there in NZ. I'm envious!

OK so I've fooked up on the gearing then, especially when going to a 190/55 tyre. God I hate dealers sometimes. He assured me that it would be close if not the same as stock gearing, but I didn't have access to the info when buying the stuff. So now I have a brand new 110 link chain, which are relatively expensive as opposed to sprockets which I can get relatively cheap. (Now bear in mind I know the gearing of my Aprilias like the back of my hand, and find 16/43 or 44 perfect for the torque combo and outright speed fine).

OK with a 110 chain length and it being close to the front of the adjustment side what do you think I could change it to without having to throw away a perfectly good chain. Go down to a 16 front and somewhere around 42/43 if that's possiblle?

I guess I want some more ooomph in roll on accelerations with Gixxers and blades which we do a lot of in NZ when the roads permit. Last year the Busa got hosed numerous time in numerous gears, by the Ape RSV4. This year a Gixxer thou just walked away in 4th, 5th and 6th gears from 100kph. But I don't want it so short geared that it becomes unrideabl;e in the first 3 gears and wants to wheelstand everywhere when throttle is applied.

Sorry for all the dumb questiuons. (I get to ride my Busa once a year for 10 days, and then have to leave it). But I do like it, except the scrunching of my long legs on the seat to peg distance, compared to a lot of other bikes, I own and get to ride.

PS I also noticed that the Busa doesn't come with a socket large enough to enable you to take off the rear wheel or even adjust the chain, let alone a front allen key to undo the nut on the front wheel. PS what size is that allen key lloks like about 20-24mm at a guess, and the rear seems about 38mm.

Many tks. :)

:cool:

Yeah, it's a good time of year to ride around the Mainland.

In answer to your questions, I use a Power Pure 190/55 on my Busa, with no problems at all. But, really, you won't know whether a tyre suits your riding style until you try it.

As for sprockets, I don't know why you'd want to add teeth to the front and remove them from the back. I know what those mountain passes are like, so I would recommend you go to a 16:42 configuration, unless you plan on just cruising. Sydney City Motorcycles can get you a set of 16:42 OEM "JT" sprockets, and they're as cheap as dirt. That's what I did and it's a great mod, especially for windy roads.

PS I also noticed that the Busa doesn't come with a socket large enough to enable you to take off the rear wheel or even adjust the chain, let alone a front allen key to undo the nut on the front wheel.
I have all of the tools for those jobs, plus a rattle gun, and stands. If you need to borrow them, let me know.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a good time of year to ride around the Mainland.

In answer to your questions, I use a Power Pure 190/55 on my Busa, with no problems at all. But, really, you won't know whether a tyre suits your riding style until you try it.

As for sprockets, I don't know why you'd want to add teeth to the front and remove them from the back. I know what those mountain passes are like, so I would recommend you go to a 16:42 configuration, unless you plan on just cruising. Sydney City Motorcycles can get you a set of 16:42 OEM "JT" sprockets, and they're as cheap as dirt. That's what I did and it's a great mod, especially for windy roads.

Unfortunately I live here in Sydney, with my 2 Aprilias a Tuono and an RSV, and my Busa lives in NZ! :) Ho hum another ****ty day in paradise!! :) :)

OK so do you think that a change to 16/42 will fit a 110 link chain? I can always buy another chain if I have to for next year, but it is brand new and rivited now after all.

As to the turn in I'd prefer the Busa to be a bit easier truth be known, especially considering the turn in abilities of my Aprilias. So a 190/55 tyre seems to me to be the right choice. Just thought I'd get the lowdown on what other people have found, and doing a search hasn't given much info.

Yes I weant some easy accelleration from the Busa without having to lug the "big bugger" around in the wrong gear, and not making it a wheelie moster, (not my thing).

Unfortunately I live here in Sydney, with my 2 Aprilias a Tuono and an RSV, and my Busa lives in NZ! :) Ho hum another ****ty day in paradise!! :) :)

OK so do you think that a change to 16/42 will fit a 110 link chain? I can always buy another chain if I have to for next year, but it is brand new and rivited now after all.

As to the turn in I'd prefer the Busa to be a bit easier truth be known, especially considering the turn in abilities of my Aprilias. So a 190/55 tyre seems to me to be the right choice. Just thought I'd get the lowdown on what other people have found, and doing a search hasn't given much info.

Yes I weant some easy accelleration from the Busa without having to lug the "big bugger" around in the wrong gear, and not making it a wheelie moster, (not my thing).

1) New sprockets = new chain. Always.

2) 190/55 tyre will be great for riding around Queenstown/Wanaka, etc.

3) 16:42 will give you awesome acceleration. You won't do wheelies unless you want to.

If you come down to the Royal National Park some time, I'll let you have a go on my '06 so you can see how the combination of 16:42 and a 190/55 feels.

1) New sprockets = new chain. Always.

2) 190/55 tyre will be great for riding around Queenstown/Wanaka, etc.

3) 16:42 will give you awesome acceleration. You won't do wheelies unless you want to.

If you come down to the Royal National Park some time, I'll let you have a go on my '06 so you can see how the combination of 16:42 and a 190/55 feels.

As to no:1 the chain and sprockets I just put on and are brand new, 0kms on them as of last week. I'll do a 16/42 next time I'm over there.

as to no:2 The Haast to Wanake/crown range/queenstown is just one of the roads we do (and is one of my favourites on the sth island, others include greymouth/punikaki/murcheson/lewis/hanmar springs, Reefton/hanmar springs, cattlelans, pig route run, Blenheim to kikarangi/kaiteri, amongst others and yes we go at average speeds of 160kph plus most of the time, and lots of cornering, (on the nth island the road from Te Kuiti to Tuaramanui is a fave, as is the Gisborne to Opitiki through the Gorge).......so from that I ill add the 190/55 combo.

If I'm down that way and you don't/wouldn't mind riding a Tuono, (quite modded) or the RSV, (bog std), then I'd be happy to sample the 16/42 gearing. Many tks for the offer. :)

As to the nut sizes what are they. The crap OEM toolkit doesn't have the bits to get either wheel off or adjusted.....go figure???? :eek:

Tks for the advice, much appreciated.

:coolcool:

hanmar springs, Tuaramanui

Hanmer Springs, Taumarunui.

I like Western Bay Road, going around Lake Taupo.

If I'm down that way and you don't/wouldn't mind riding a Tuono, (quite modded) or the RSV, (bog std), then I'd be happy to sample the 16/42 gearing.
Tuono, please!

As to the nut sizes what are they.
36mm at the rear. Available from any decent tool shop.
For the front you need an allen key to loosen the pinch bolts, then you need a shifter and a long 24mm hex nut. I got one from Southern Fasteners for, like, $3. Fasteners Sydney | Screws, Bolts, Nuts, Washers, Sockets, Rivets & Wire

Last edited:
I've run both a 50 and 55 rear with stock gearing. Really didn't notice much difference so if you wanted to run same rear on all three bikes, go for it. But, -55's cost more than -50's.....

Back