Pp Front Pr4 Rear

Tyres certainly make a difference aye? In the north island we ran the 1000 km cruise, which was around 1200 km home to home. Have done this ride on PR3s and PR4s, this year on PP3s. No sweat at all. Be curious to hear how your Avons get on towards the end of their life...

The Avon is almost done at about 4500kms its kept pretty good shape with minimal squaring off, if another came up cheap like this one id buy it
20180129_171649.jpg
20180129_171509.jpg
. Picked up a new PP2ct for a hundy so thats going on next, when thats done MikeChambers should have a few Ks on the PR5s for reference on my next set of tyres.

I don't see how anyone gets that kind of mileage on a Busa.
Granted, I wheelie and drag knees, and any straight line is only on the way to curves.
I keep 34-36psi hot front and rear too, but it sticks like glue.
On Q2s, I would get 2k-2500 front, 1k-1500 rear.
I then switched to a Roadsmart rear/sport touring, and could get at 2k, almost 2500 out of it. So changing tires as a set.
The Roadsmart(and Q2) wore excellent.
I'll look on my laptop for pics and post them.

I don't see how anyone gets that kind of mileage on a Busa.
Granted, I wheelie and drag knees, and any straight line is only on the way to curves.
I keep 34-36psi hot front and rear too, but it sticks like glue.
On Q2s, I would get 2k-2500 front, 1k-1500 rear.
I then switched to a Roadsmart rear/sport touring, and could get at 2k, almost 2500 out of it. So changing tires as a set.
The Roadsmart(and Q2) wore excellent.
I'll look on my laptop for pics and post them.

4500 kilometers is about 2700miles, the last time i used a PP on the GSX1400 it lasted 2500kms...i liked them alot but too expensive to to keep replacing that often.
While i had the 1400 i used a set of SportSmarts and were impressed with those too and better mileage.

4500 kilometers is about 2700miles, the last time i used a PP on the GSX1400 it lasted 2500kms...i liked them alot but too expensive to to keep replacing that often.
While i had the 1400 i used a set of SportSmarts and were impressed with those too and better mileage.

Ah, duh
Wasn't paying attention

Oh my ... that rear is crazy slick !!! :eek: Six ... mate ... you are really pushing the edge , to the edge with that one bro :rolleyes: !! Can just imagine what the cop will be thinking when he 's told ... it had plenty of tread when I left this morning officer :D

Q2 front
Roadsmart rear

I like to get my money's worth.
The top pic, Roadsmart rear had tread when I went out that day.

View attachment 1578690

View attachment 1578691

View attachment 1578692

View attachment 1578693

!!!

Oh my ... that rear is crazy slick !!! :eek: Six ... mate ... you are really pushing the edge , to the edge with that one bro :rolleyes: !! Can just imagine what the cop will be thinking when he 's told ... it had plenty of tread when I left this morning officer :D

!!!

:DIt didn't have tread like in the 2nd pic, but more than enough when I left on that ride.
200-300 miles of hard riding on a hot day, curves and wheelies, the norm.
I was very impressed with just how awesome a sport touring rear tire would grip. The Q2 sport fronts were great tires too. Q3s are as good.
The sport touring tires have a different carcass than sport tires.
Tufbusa, who frequented here for years, a track coach, and full of great advice, told me not to go below 36psi on sport touring tires.
So I'de set the rear at 33 psi cold, and the front the same, usually airing the front down to 34 hot.
My stock suspension sag was spot on, with me in full gear, about 195lbs.
I think the weight of the Busa helped it's planted feeling in corners too.
The sport front/sport touring rear combo works excellent, and wears pretty evenly front to rear. I like to swap tires in sets, and I prefer the grip of a sport front over a sport touring front, just Me, to each their own. The front tire really is the majority of the control of a bike, and that little contact patch is all that is between the bike and the road(lower the psi, bigger the contact spot, better the grip, the more control you have. Tire pressure is important!)
I know the Toad and most of the members knows all this too, with their own preferences. This is for the next guy who needs to know.:beerchug:

Last edited:

!!!

I'm trippin on all this cop talk too.
They've wanted me to stop and talk to them a few times, I just never had the time to chat.
I don't like to be rude either...so sometimes I waved

The Avon is almost done at about 4500kms its kept pretty good shape with minimal squaring off, if another came up cheap like this one id buy it. Picked up a new PP2ct for a hundy so thats going on next, when thats done MikeChambers should have a few Ks on the PR5s for reference on my next set of tyres.

Soft rubber on south island roads...

Wasn't sure about running Pilot Power 3s, but two sets later and both got around 8000 km so I can't complain. Each set had some time at the track as well.

Yeah sixpack is laughing of course. Ride a Busa hard on soft rubber and it'll soon disappear. Most I can claim is around 12000 km on Pilot Road 4s in winter, so maybe I need to ride harder haha.

One of my trainees just switched to Road 5s so will be keeping an eye on his tyres. Be curious to hear how Mike gets on as well.

Soft rubber on south island roads...

Wasn't sure about running Pilot Power 3s, but two sets later and both got around 8000 km so I can't complain. Each set had some time at the track as well.

Yeah sixpack is laughing of course. Ride a Busa hard on soft rubber and it'll soon disappear. Most I can claim is around 12000 km on Pilot Road 4s in winter, so maybe I need to ride harder haha.

One of my trainees just switched to Road 5s so will be keeping an eye on his tyres. Be curious to hear how Mike gets on as well.
Hi. I wish I could remember the tire brand on my 1982 GPZ 1100. I only got 250 miles out of it!

Back