...can't believe it's been 4 years...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Today's the 4 year anniversary of a close relative's death while on his Honda CBR...his name was David West and he was Mike's cousin.  He was like a little brother to me; I came in to his life when he was just 4 or 5 years old.  I was pregnant with my second son when he was killed and am fortunate to have named my son David as well, in honor of the David I miss dearly...

I just miss him...he was an awesome friend, fun, kind...a fellow Parrot Head that I enjoyed going to concerts with...a huge Dave Matthews Band fan as I am...a sport biker, and far too young to die at 23...
sad.gif

He's heavy on my mind today...just wanted to share his story and hope that others listen...don't drink and drive/ride...don't run from the cops...don't ever think you're invincible...

David did so many things wrong on his last night; I wish he'd not felt "it wouldn't happen to me"...I wish he'd not been drinking, wish he hadn't run from the cops when busted for speeding, I wish the cop hadn't chased him...all of his gear couldn't save him; the full face, the full leathers and gloves.  The only thing that could have saved David were his very own decisions.  He died quickly (we all like to think) when he lost control of his CBR and crashed in to a telephone pole.  The bike snapped in two right under his seat...not a pretty site to see, but one that is forever in my head whenever I think "that won't happen to me".  

I wish so many things but most of all, I just wish he were still here to be the fun-loving, go-cart building, hot sauce taste testing, motorcycle riding fun guy that he was...his family misses him so much...bad decisions = life changing repricussions that you can not take back...

Everyone ride safe...be around for the next ride...
smile.gif

M -

sad.gif
Thanks for the reminder. It's always good to reflect on what can easily happen with a split second bad decision.

Sorry to hear about your loss Michelle
sad.gif
Hang in there.

It never really gets easier with time, but you do learn to cope with it differently over time. It's been 16 years since my brother died, but it still hurts. You truely have my sympathy for the pain in your heart.

Take care M,

Jim

Hey, no need for sorrow for me...I'm sad, but I know we all have lost loved ones under all sorts of circumstances...
sad.gif
 I know of quite a few members here, like Jim, that know more pain than I do
sad.gif

I think I "use" David's story in the hopes that someone will heed a warning about what not to do; especially for those that feel as if they're invincible...
sad.gif
 And I also want to put a personal story to the usual "he's a squid" and deserved it mentality I often see on biker boards...I too hate the things squids do, hate the insurance rates we all pay for others' mistakes, but I see the flip side as well...there's another person that had a lot going for him, a great life, loving family, he was a good kid and he's gone...sometimes I see members bashing the "squids" as if they're not even human and it pains me knowing that I lost someone I love to huge mistakes in judgement that he made...don't lose sight of the fact that there are far too many riders that don't have any fear, that don't know their limits, that don't make the right decisions but that have Moms and Dads that love them, friends that miss them, even children hanging in the balance of the decisions that they make...they're not just statistics...
sad.gif

I think we all make mistakes...not a single person here that can say they've never done something stupid while riding...just a reality check guys...and the hope that we all stop and think from time to time before doing something stupid...
wink.gif

PSA off...
biggrin.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

This is a good time to reflect on people lost and to appreciate the people we have with us now.

Sorry for your loss Va.

sad.gif
sad.gif
So sorry to hear of your loss Michelle. My guess is that he's in a better place right now.

sad.gif

That is a very sad story in deed. Sorry for your loss M - It is a good reminder to us all.
sad.gif

Back