Can I get 5's?

If you've got trouble with wheelies, I've got a Brock's BRICK I will sell you cheap. I used it once and it won't fit on my Gen-II so it's being wasted in the garage. It should help you leave a little harder and keep the front down if you don't stretch it more. Send me a PM if you are interested....

P.S....you can go 5's! ;)

I will get there soon before the Nitrous. I switched to a 200 over the 190 tire and it slowed me down 3mph. I even confirmed it and went to Beechbend in Bowling Green (Nice Track) where they prep the track actually and I had lost 3 mph in the 1/8th mile.

Try a Michelin 180 Road Race take off if you have a spare wheel. The Shinkos are heavy. The 200 is about 3lbs heavier and it is a bit taller. The distance from the axle makes it worse. I've had guys tell me they lost 3 mph with a 190 M-RR over the 180. I've seen 1.5-1.8 on mine. I lost the about the same with a 180 shinko over my 180 Michelin.

If you've got trouble with wheelies, I've got a Brock's BRICK I will sell you cheap. I used it once and it won't fit on my Gen-II so it's being wasted in the garage. It should help you leave a little harder and keep the front down if you don't stretch it more. Send me a PM if you are interested....

P.S....you can go 5's! ;)

Thanks for the offer but the Army has me moving in about two weeks so I don't know what the plans for the bike may be. I am heading to Columbus, Ga and I have not checked out the local track there in Phenix City, Al. If it is horrible like Clarksville, Tn.........I will not have a problem with wheelies, lol.

Try a Michelin 180 Road Race take off if you have a spare wheel. The Shinkos are heavy. The 200 is about 3lbs heavier and it is a bit taller. The distance from the axle makes it worse. I've had guys tell me they lost 3 mph with a 190 M-RR over the 180. I've seen 1.5-1.8 on mine. I lost the about the same with a 180 shinko over my 180 Michelin.

Do you recommend the 180 in my case over the 190 even for a Shinko ultrasoft? A guy at the track was running a 180 also and said the same thing! Most guys were running the 190 Ultra though. I have to buy a new tire before the big race here on the 28th. The local shop stocks Shinkos and I would like to stay with them at least for this one event so I am not trying to relearn everything on a new type of tire. Would a 180 Shinko be a better choice then? I dont have an extra rim and would like to run something that I can get some street time on in Columbus for a bit. Thanks for all the replies. Thanks Professor for confirming what I figured on the 200!

Yep, I have a small shot, and the track MPH is a few high.

The N20 does not knock hardly anything off my time, but picks up about 5-8 mph.

I am fat, too, over 250 in shorts.

If you are spinning, try shortening the bike up a couple inches, it helps. It sounds to me like you have more to gain in riding than spending money on parts. What kind of 60's are you getting?

Im with everyone else leave the stinko and go with the Michelin you will pick up and the track @ Phoenix city hooks good hope you like grudge racin because they do alot there. Also make the trip to cecil in valdosta about 2 and 1/2 hours great quarter mile track that hooks awesome. full 1/4 mile of concrete and great facility.

Yep, I have a small shot, and the track MPH is a few high.

The N20 does not knock hardly anything off my time, but picks up about 5-8 mph.

I am fat, too, over 250 in shorts.

If you are spinning, try shortening the bike up a couple inches, it helps. It sounds to me like you have more to gain in riding than spending money on parts. What kind of 60's are you getting?

No, the bike does not spin except here in Clarksville. They have not prepped the track since Nov and still did not hook then. I only ran a 6.1 there because my buddy layed a ton of rubber down on a N2O pass in his LS1 TA. Normally, everyone just spins there. I am so use to the bike spinning and then maybe hooking up after the launch or even shooting straight to the right immediately. I realized that it was not me or the bike when I went to Bowling Green and actually bogged one pass and fought wheelies on another. I sure as heck did not feel the bike spinning. I had to totally change my launches, clutch release, tire psi, etc... It was great!

Last edited:
Im with everyone else leave the stinko and go with the Michelin you will pick up and the track @ Phoenix city hooks good hope you like grudge racin because they do alot there. Also make the trip to cecil in valdosta about 2 and 1/2 hours great quarter mile track that hooks awesome. full 1/4 mile of concrete and great facility.

Thanks! I will give it a try then. Who has the lowest price then? How much? What psi you all running? I can pick it up this upcoming week but I may only get one weekend to practice before the race on the 28th here. I know the Professor will have many of these answers!
Thanks also for the info on Phenix City:thumbsup:! I am looking foward to the grudge stuff also. We do that in Clarksville here also on friday nights. No time slips nor VHT, lol.

Last edited:
Ok, I did not know that this is the tire that everyone was talking about :whistle: I always thought that it was road racing tire, lol. Sorry, I need to pay more attention. Michelin Pilot Power 180/55-ZR17 Rear Tire for 142 bucks! I will go ahead and order if this is a good price. Thanks for the feedback.

The one I am talking about is a power race instead of a pilot power. I've got mixed feeling about running them on the street. I have once or twice and it takes a bit to get used to. Get a used wheel and buy one that is a road race scuff.

The one I am talking about is a power race instead of a pilot power. I've got mixed feeling about running them on the street. I have once or twice and it takes a bit to get used to. Get a used wheel and buy one that is a road race scuff.

Thanks again Professor...........I found it but not for 142 bucks, lol. I will give it a try. Last question though. Soft, medium, med-soft? Sorry for so many questions but after switching to the 200 I got beat by the Zx-14 and a 2008 Busa that I always beat previously! The track was very crowded that night too. I have to win the 28th "March Madness 2009" race since it is only a once a year event!

I used the med-soft when I bought the tire you are looking at. They make a 190/50 in that one that works. The 190/55 is taller and you'll see a loss in mph. There is also a PR series of compounds not sold in the mainstream market but through racing tire vendors. PR3-5 the PR3 is the soft PR4 is medium, 5 med-soft. I ran PR4s and PR5s. What a vendor told me was the pr3 was recommended on 600 rr bikes as a qualifying tire, 1ks got pr4s. The 600s raced on 4s and the 1ks on 5s. I’m sure others ran different compounds but supposedly that was what Michelin recommended.
I’m shorter wheelbase than you so I can hook mine a bit easier. I’d say a med or pr4 on yours. Of course a soft or PR3 might hook better in marginal conditions, but it is not going to last as long. I ran a couple of PR3 and you could see some rubber shear happening.
Compared to the Shinko, it is not going to need as much of a burnout.

I used the med-soft when I bought the tire you are looking at. They make a 190/50 in that one that works. The 190/55 is taller and you'll see a loss in mph. There is also a PR series of compounds not sold in the mainstream market but through racing tire vendors. PR3-5 the PR3 is the soft PR4 is medium, 5 med-soft. I ran PR4s and PR5s. What a vendor told me was the pr3 was recommended on 600 rr bikes as a qualifying tire, 1ks got pr4s. The 600s raced on 4s and the 1ks on 5s. I’m sure others ran different compounds but supposedly that was what Michelin recommended.
I’m shorter wheelbase than you so I can hook mine a bit easier. I’d say a med or pr4 on yours. Of course a soft or PR3 might hook better in marginal conditions, but it is not going to last as long. I ran a couple of PR3 and you could see some rubber shear happening.

OK, thanks...........Looks like Gadson will be in Phenix City, Al on 18 Apr! He was supposed to be there yesterday but it got rained out. I was upset when I just came across the post on Gixxer.com that said he was going to be there on Mar 14. I just left there yesterday and came back to Clarksville. It was raining in Columbus so looks like they are going to postpone the event until next month. Hope to see some of you there!

You all can disregard this thread. Went to the track today (Clarksville) no prep as usual and the bike went down. I was doing my burnout and rolled towards the staging line and it went down fast near the line. I am fine, had some gear on and only some scrapes. Bike will need a stator cover and left fairing. Nothing really deep so I could get it repainted. I definitely wont be running there on the 28th now. I must have hit some water that someone dripped toward the line. Not sure since it happened so fast. I did not have time to do anything. I did not feel the bike getting loose or anything while rolling from the burnout box. Bike started right up and I drove it home though. Never been down on any of my bikes before. I always heard that the Busa was heavy but I picked mine right up. Im sure the pain will kick in when my adrenaline wears off. Doubt the wife will let me run on the 28th now anyways. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited:
Man I'm sorry to hear this... Glad you are OK.. The bike can be fixed.

I understand how it can happen. I tossed mine last year making the turn to the return road after a pass. It will get your attention fast.

Shake it off. Again, glad you are not hurt.

Thanks Professor that means alot to me. Never knew you went down last year. For some stupid reason I figured it would never happen to me. I will get some pics tomorrow and post them.

Same thing almost happened to me with my 03. Doing my burn-out and rolled up to the line, the front end almost went out from under me. I don't know how I saved it but it was close. A FWD car drove through the water box not doing a proper burnout and dripped water all the way up to the line... :mad:

Back