Can anyone please explain....

I've seen that a lot, and dragging the feet thing. I figured a few new riders started doing it then more people wanting to be like others- followed suit.

Good point on picking up girl and having a lid for her. Fl is almost 600 miles long so way down here in WPB I dont have to worry about passing thru a helmet/no-helmet area.
My Costas are fine in the helmet up to Ludicrous Speed. Without a lid I would not know.
Only thing I remember is growing up riding my KDX80 with my walgreen bought glasses and tears running down my cheeks. Momma kicked me good and that was the last time I rode lidless. Not calling anyone stupid at all.
To each his own. I do alot of things people still don't agree with, mainly its the ones to the left that don't agree with me but hey I was just checking.

You should get you a dark smoke lense and leave it on, put your glasses in a protective cover in the trunk while riding. I always gave my brother so much crap for wearing a dark smoke lense at night, and then I tried it one night out of curiosity, and I could see much better than I would have thought. I just leave my dark smoke lense on 24/7 now and don't have the discomfort of wearing sunglasses in my helmet. Going on a long stretch down a highway mile after mile at night, you might want a clear lense, but around town, dark smoke is fine. Just thought I would give you some input on the shades. :thumbsup:

Hayabusa riders (myself included) telling anyone that they're stupid for not being "safer" is perhaps one of the best cases of irony I can fathom.

Do you people have any clue how many people call "us" stupid for simply sitting atop these death machines? Do you realize that the average life expectancy for ANY motorcycle rider is drastically less than others? Do you realize that "we" already drive up insurance rates? We already cause people to pay more for health insurance, because "we" take part in a very dangerous hobby. Many people would call each and every one of us stupid, even the ones preaching about helmet safety.

Stop and think about it people.

Hayabusa riders (myself included) telling anyone that they're stupid for not being "safer" is perhaps one of the best cases of irony I can fathom.

Do you people have any clue how many people call "us" stupid for simply sitting atop these death machines? Do you realize that the average life expectancy for ANY motorcycle rider is drastically less than others? Do you realize that "we" already drive up insurance rates? We already cause people to pay more for health insurance, because "we" take part in a very dangerous hobby. Many people would call each and every one of us stupid, even the ones preaching about helmet safety.

Stop and think about it people.

I understand what your saying but...

Ahhhh...:bs:

There is a big difference from riding a motorcycle and riding naked (without gear).
That's not an excuse or logical reason to not wear a helmet.
If fact, it's the opposite and by the very nature of our bikes we
should wear all the gear all the time.

I got friends at work that admire my bike, but would not ride a motorcycle.
Not for them, lack of nads or whatever. Not wearing a helmet is got nothing
to do with your testosterone level.

Don't care what kind of bike you have, you can (and should) ride safely.
Regardless of how you ride, an accident may happen that you can not prevent
(as in any vehicle) hence the need of safety equiptment the most important
being a good helmet.

How many motorcycle accidents occured today?
Of those accidents, how many people go up knowing today was the day?
Of those accidents that were fatal, what percentage were not wearing helmets?
Of those wearing helmets, how many of them were fatal?
What is average number of family members that were left behind?

The worst thing I've seen is a Man or Woman that HAS CHILDREN spew out the
"it's my life" line....pathetic. Kids need their mom and/or dad and your personal whims
and needs should be a poor second to anything else.

Last edited:
Correction...you mean live and let die.

Yeah as the case may be. The government has no business protecting us from ourselves. From each other yes, but not from ourselves. When they do that we lose liberties.

The argument that it raises medical premiums is bogus, as we all die in the end no matter what. So it really doesn't matter what kills you. It's all the old people that live too long that raise the premiums. They are the evil, sickly consumers that suck the system dry and contribute little in their old age.

Look at the population that needs assisted living care. It's a bunch of old geezers, not helmet less, brain damaged M/C riders.

I wear a helmet, would now even if it wasn't the law. Wasn't always that way. Rode for years w/o one. In fact, when our then Gov. signed the helmet law I was pissed and sold my bike and didn't ride for years.

But, the man who thinks the same at 40 as he did when he was 20 has wasted 20 years of his life. I think it's stupid not to wear one now, but I sure as he11 don't think the government ought force you or me to strap one on.

Blame it all on YOUTUBE. Take look at all the stunt vids on there.
Forget about how most of them are amazing.
When they crash is when we get screwed on the ins rates.
Incredible to see what they can do on a bike these days. search Hayabusa wheelies there and you will see folks throwing Busas around like Bmx bikes.
Insane it is to see them doing it down I-95 or wherever. This is when and where I think alot of our probs come from today.

I think they have the, "It won't happen to me mindset." I yell at my roommate every time I see him with out his lid.

I also wear one on my bicycle, of course I do reach speeds of 30mph under rigth conditions (Down hill with a tail wind:laugh:)

There were several good points made on both sides of the argument, but lets not get bent out of shape against each other concerning the matter. It is my position that at a minimum the helmet should be worn. I have a family and consider them and not myself when I ride. I personally would not ride with a Lidless rider because If he/she went down and suffered a debilitating head injury I would hate to have that on my consience. One could argue that the same could occur even if the lid was worn; TRUE, however, at least you stand more of a chance than w/o. I think the point is, yes we take risks in anything we do in everyday life, and are subject to the worse at any time, GOT IT; the key is taking the necessary available measures to reduce those risks, and in our case as two wheelers; gearing up is the risk reducer. I think that in death God forbid that my loved ones would hurt more if I wasnt geared up saying "if he had only wore his gear then MAYBE he would be alive" because the truth is; your chance of surviving geared up is greater than if not PERIOD! and no matter what ones position is on the matter, that fact is true if you will truly be honest with yourself.

NOTE: No one was called stupid during the typing of this message. (Read my caveat)

Last edited:
There were several good points made on both sides of the argument, but lets not get bent out of shape against each other concerning the matter. It is my position that at a minimum the helmet should be worn. I have a family and consider them and not myself when I ride. I personally would not ride with a Lidless rider because If he/she went down and suffered a debilitating head injury I would hate to have that on my consience. One could argue that the same could occur even if the lid was worn; TRUE, however, at least you stand more of a chance than w/o. I think the point is, yes we take risks in anything we do in everyday life, and are subject to the worse at any time, GOT IT; the key is taking the necessary available measures to reduce those risks, and in our case as two wheelers; gearing up is the risk reducer. I think that in death God forbid that my loved ones would hurt more if I wasnt geared up saying "if he had only wore his gear then MAYBE he would be alive" because the truth is; your chance of surviving geared up is greater than if not PERIOD! and no matter what ones position is on the matter, that fact is true if you will truly be honest with yourself.

NOTE: No one was called stupid during the typing of this message. (Read my caveat)

:thumbsup: Dress for sucess!!! :beerchug:

Here's the deal. Until helmet laws are enacted or re-enacted their is a freedom of choice. I do not condone not wearing a helmet because I've seen what can happen when someones head hits the ground. Riders who don't wear helmets probably haven't hit the pavement because if they did they would know what damage can be done. There is tons of information supporting the whys and wherefores for helmet use but those people who don't wear helmets choose not to and that is their right...freedom of choice whether I believe it is correct or not it's their life and their choice . I think to myself when I see a rider without a helmet boy that's dumb but that's their choice.... we all make choices some good some not so good. As long as your freedom of choice doesn't cost me in money or flesh I'm okay if your choice is different than what I would do. One personal point I'd like to make... I have three grown sons all responsible pillars in their communities. The ATF Agent son wore a helmet (mandated by Dad) until he left home bought a Harley and didn't wear a helmet . His choice. The other two wore their gear all the time. Both had accidents and one doesn't ride anymore (that's good he wasn't very good at it) and the other hit a deer at 60 mph on his CBR 600 RR. When I got to the accident scene the bike was destroyed and I wasn't certain about my son. He suffered a concusion, broken finger and some lacerations but guess what..years of Dad preaching ATGATT saved his life. There was a huge crater in the side of his helmet (Shoei RF-1000) that crater would've been on the side of his head... like I said we all make choices and I'm glad the two boys who had crashes made the chocie to wear their gear that day. Sorry for the long post. Wardie

Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motorcycles have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance travelled when compared with automobiles. According to the NHTSA, in 2006 18.06 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 55.82 per 100,000.[1] In 2004, figures from the Department for Transport in the UK indicated that motorcycles have 121 deaths or serious injuries per 100 million vehicle kilometers, compared to the corresponding figure of 2.6 for motorists.[citation needed]

A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.[2]
According to 2005 data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA, 4,008 motorcycle occupants were killed on United States roads in 2004, an 8% increase from 2003.[3]

During that same period, drivers of automobiles showed a 10% increase in fatalities, and cyclists showed an 8% increase in fatalities. Pedestrians also showed a 10% increase in fatalities. A total of 37,304 automobile occupants were killed on U.S. roads in 2004.[4]

Additional data from the United States reveals that there are over four million motorcycles registered in the United States. Motorcycle fatalities represent approximately five percent of all highway fatalities each year, yet motorcycles represent just two percent of all registered vehicles in the United States. One of the main reasons motorcyclists are killed in crashes is because the motorcycle itself provides virtually no protection in a crash. For example, approximately 80 percent of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death; a comparable figure for automobiles is about 20 percent.[5]

If any of you are seriously going to argue the "it's just selfish" defense, then I suggest you get off your bikes and sell them immediately, because you're being selfish by riding such a dangerous vehicle when you could be riding a car that is 30 times safer.

Risk is relative. Climbing a mountain carries a risk, and people are willing to subject themselves to that risk in exchange for the thrill and sense of accomplishment. Police officers and Firefighters risk their lives daily, many of which have families. Why don't they choose other careers? It's not because these careers pay great, that's for certain. Many do it because they love it. Would you call these people selfish? There are all types of people on this planet, and we all have varying ideas as to what is safe and what is dangerous. To some, simply walking out of their house is an unreasonable risk. To others, riding a motorcycle is a risk, and to others, riding without a helmet is a risk. If you want to ride with a helmet, please do so. I will do so 99% of the time. But when I decide to remove mine, I only ask that you stop and look around your glass house before you label me and others as "stupid."

Last edited:
I have never rode without a helmet, and never will. But I do believe in the freedom of choice. I the state does not have a helmet law then that would be up to the rider. This is just my 2 cents.

That's a fine sentiment if you lived on an island all alone...unfortunately your
"mature" choices affects us all, from the insurance premiums we pay, to
your health costs (ventilator or whatever) to who raises your kids after your
gone (if you have any) to your family and friends greiving.

Not to mention the little old man who may be at fault and pulls out in front
of you, helmet on it's a minor accident...no helmet it's manslaughter.

The possibilites are endless and it's not a "mature" selection it's a complete lack
of maturity and an "INCREDIBLY SELFISH ONE"...and proves that the elevator
is not going to the top, hence the natural selection "jokes".

Sorry, when I see someone without a helmet the only thing I think is...
"what an IDIOT."

Let me ask you this, do you ever speed on your Busa? Do you ever exceed the speed limit by 20, 40, or 60 mph? Do you ever open her up and take her into the 100-150 zone? If so, one could argue that your above statement would make you (or anyone arguing your point) a complete hypocrite.

Not flaming you. Just pointing it out...
:poke:

Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If any of you are seriously going to argue the "it's just selfish" defense, then I suggest you get off your bikes and sell them immediately, because you're being selfish by riding such a dangerous vehicle when you could be riding a car that is 30 times safer.

Risk is relative. Climbing a mountain carries a risk, and people are willing to subject themselves to that risk in exchange for the thrill and sense of accomplishment. Police officers and Firefighters risk their lives daily, many of which have families. Why don't they choose other careers? It's not because these careers pay great, that's for certain. Many do it because they love it. Would you call these people selfish? There are all types of people on this planet, and we all have varying ideas as to what is safe and what is dangerous. To some, simply walking out of their house is an unreasonable risk. To others, riding a motorcycle is a risk, and to others, riding without a helmet is a risk. If you want to ride with a helmet, please do so. I will do so 99% of the time. But when I decide to remove mine, I only ask that you stop and look around your glass house before you label me and others as "stupid."

Skydiving is risky but skydiving without a reserve chute seems stupid. Just like riding without a helmet, there is nothing wrong with taking risks but being wreckless is a different story.

Have to agree with Vonderbach and the others, its a personal choice. How can anyone that takes the selfish risk of riding a motorcycle, tell anyone who takes the selfish risk of riding a motorcycle without a helmut, stupid? Or someone who takes the selfish risk of jumping out of an airplane? Just sayin. My folks and my wife and most of the guys that I work with think that its stupid and selfish just to ride a motorcycle at all, let alone without a lid. We had a guy at work get killed on his a couple years ago, with his lid on. Maybe the govt ought to require restrictors on all bikes to 70mph. Saves lives right? Selfless, right?

Skydiving is risky but skydiving without a reserve chute seems stupid. Just like riding without a helmet, there is nothing wrong with taking risks but being wreckless is a different story.

EXACTLY :beerchug:

Yet another thing we can agree on. :cheerleader:

Risk and wreckless are two different things.

I understand what you're saying, but some here simply refuse to acknowledge that they too are risking their lives. It's a matter of relativity. Everyone here is 30 time more likely to die then if they were driving a vehicle, yet without a helmet, I would be 37 times more likely (based on data from ABATE.) So is it really that much of a difference?

I simply think that a more tactful approach would be appropriate, factual and dare I say polite. We all risk our lives for a hobby, and several factors may lessen that risk to a degree, but it's still a "selfish" hobby by the standards set forth in this thread.

Risk and wreckless are two different things.
Are you claiming that it is impossible to ride carefully without a helmet? I think you misunderstand the term "risk."

Last edited:
Back