Can anyone please explain....

Florida doesn't require you to wear a helmet either but they do require that you have insurance if you don't wear one, me personally I was asked a question one time as to whether I can look down at myself and honestly ask myself "Am I protected enough to hit the concrete at 80mph, if not I may want to consider putting on protection". I crashed one time already and I am thankful I had my helmet on becasuse I would have taken off the side of my face.I never leave home without it, nor my jacket pants or any other thing I can put on for protection. Hell if I could I 'd wrap myself in bubble wrap! :lol:

I'm going to agree with Semi. Well put brother.
Insurance companies would have us all not taking a singe risk and just pay our premiums to their delight and profit. The thought that people taking risks are driving up premiums is rediculous. There is no assurance that, even if you lived inside and never did anything, that you would not encounter some risk. Slip getting out of the tub, or struck by lightning or tree falls on your head. This is what insurance is for! Do i need to errect a steel cage around my house? If the insurance institute did a study and found that it would mimimize THEIR risk, heck they would lobby until every state made it LAW!
I believe in CHOICE. The Choice to live my life and make decisions the way i want to. Not because some group of companies want to make a bigger profit. Whether i wear my helmet, smoke, drink, ride a cycle, drive a fast car, not wear a seatbelt or cross the street lookin only one way...I and others who choose a risky lifestyle are NOT to blame for the cost of insurance premiums.
Who is who to call anyone stupid? We ALL take risks. I may not agree but, I will not judge anyone on their choices. This my friends, is maturity.

I may not agree but, I will not judge anyone on their choices. This my friends, is maturity.

Well said! :clap:

On this topic, I made a promise to my wife 20 years ago that I would always wear a helmet and have. It's so natural now that I don't even notice it. If something should ever happen to me, she is well taken care of (I probably should not have said that, huh :laugh: )

In a more general sense, there is a lot to be gleened from Acehole's comment above and not just about motorcycle helmets.

Last edited:
I rode with out a lid for a while in my younger days, So I can understand why they do it "wind in your hair, feeling of freedom". :thumbsup: I never had to pay the price I never went down lidless.

Keep in mind their others out their exiting exiting 15 - 25 mph highway off ramps at 80 -100 mph dragging their knee with the body shredding guardrail an thinking their gear got em covered. They are riding their ride to get the smile stretched on their face from ear to ear. :thumbsup:

I prefer to let people ride their ride how it pleases them an wish them the best of luck as they do.

No helmet = STUPID. Which usually is incureable.

So even though several of your fellow riders have made well reasoned arguments to the contrary, you find it perfectly acceptable to label them (us) as being stupid?

I'm wondering if perhaps you shouldn't sell that glass house of yours when the market turns around.

Law here required a lid be attached firmly to the bubble, however...some states only require that it be worn under a certain age.

Therefore, a 24 year old rider with no lid keeps an extra strapped to the back in case he picks up a 19 years old passenger.

Just one possible scenario I've seen in the past~!~

just because someone chooses not to wear a halmet does not make them stupid, squidly, empty-headed, or deserving of natural selection (which is just your way of saying i deserve to die for not agreeing with your position)...i am 100% aware of the consequences of my actions and have my finances and belongings in order in case something does happen to me (i hope all of you do the same before you leave the house)

would it be ok for me to call someone stupid for living in a more dangerous neighborhood than the one in which i live? they could move if they chose to in order to live in a safer area...is it ok for someone in a Volvo to call you empty-headed as they pass you on your motorcycle because you are choosing a riskier mode of transportation? do you deserve to be told you are in need of natural selection because you don't live in a bubble and choose to take risks? i don't think so and would stand up in a minute to defend your right to ride your vehicle of choice

also, if your sunglasses won't keep the wind out of your eyes at 30 mph, you need some better fitting glasses...mine do fine up into low triple digits :beerchug:

don't get all emotional... i was not saying anyone deserves to die and natural selection was a joke, don't get your panties all wadded up. just saying that if two people fall off their bike at 70, one with and one without a helmet, naturally one will have their brains scooped off the pavement and the other maybe banged up pretty good but live to ride another day. their is a difference between living out of fear and just blatantly taking a huge chance on something like not wearing a helmet. hell, anytime you get out and ride your bike in traffic period you take a chance, but doing so without a helmet...hmmm.

sunglasses, since i used to ride with no helmet on other bikes i've owned, they do fine up into low triple digits btw. and it would not bother me for anyone to call me a dumbass for leaving my helmet at home for several years, heck i'll tell you i was an idiot.

now lets all just get along, its obvious we all have our different opinions on helmets :thumbsup:

Some states still allow citizens to die in a motorcycle accident without a helmet and drive up other citizen's insurance premiums.

Or live, and rack up a hugh hospital bill at the taxpayer's expense....

I call it "squid posing"

My wife gets the guys in the nursing home rehab center that go down in my area with no helmets. It saves her a lot of work. They do an evaluation and determine that their closed head injuries are so severe that nothing can be done. They will live off the state until they die years later. We (the state) pay huge bills for these guys that live. Now to be honest, most don't live. They really do die at the scene. So in essence it does save a lot of money from the people that die. I guess its a wash. Also, if you come up on an accident and the guy has no helmet, don't bother with any CPR/First aid, let him die in peace.

Remember, everyone has the right to commit suicide. You can do it many ways. But, you do have that right. I think it is called freedom........

I grew up around non-helmet wearing Harley riders and never wore a helmet on a Harley until one day I had an epiphany. Lurch and Velociraptor were on their Busas and I was on my Sportster. They had helmets on and I didn't. Whenever I'm on the Busa I wear my helmet but not on my Sporty. I was on the same road as them, going the same speed, facing the same obstacles so why would I not wear a helmet? Been wearing one ever since. I highly recommend it.

Insurance companies would have us all not taking a singe risk and just pay our premiums to their delight and profit. The thought that people taking risks are driving up premiums is rediculous. There is no assurance that, even if you lived inside and never did anything, that you would not encounter some risk. Slip getting out of the tub, or struck by lightning or tree falls on your head. This is what insurance is for! Do i need to errect a steel cage around my house? If the insurance institute did a study and found that it would mimimize THEIR risk, heck they would lobby until every state made it LAW!
I believe in CHOICE. The Choice to live my life and make decisions the way i want to. Not because some group of companies want to make a bigger profit. Whether i wear my helmet, smoke, drink, ride a cycle, drive a fast car, not wear a seatbelt or cross the street lookin only one way...I and others who choose a risky lifestyle are NOT to blame for the cost of insurance premiums.
Who is who to call anyone stupid? We ALL take risks. I may not agree but, I will not judge anyone on their choices. This my friends, is maturity.

For the record Ace just made it clear he is Pro-Choice. :thumbsup:

I carry one there.....but only when I am on my way to pick up a passenger.

ALWAYS wear your helmet!
I'd prefer everyone had all prper riding gear but if nothing else the lid is non negotiable.

Same reason why people have sex with NO Condom.Ive done it and it feels good when your cruzin on a HOT ass day ....20mph down at the beach ...10 to 15 mph stuck in traffic in Daytona ...ect some times some places.Not on the HWY...and Im 40 been riddin since 1986...:whistle:Gotta have the right glasses on.

That's a fine sentiment if you lived on an island all alone...unfortunately your
"mature" choices affects us all, from the insurance premiums we pay, to
your health costs (ventilator or whatever) to who raises your kids after your
gone (if you have any) to your family and friends greiving.

Not to mention the little old man who may be at fault and pulls out in front
of you, helmet on it's a minor accident...no helmet it's manslaughter.

The possibilites are endless and it's not a "mature" selection it's a complete lack
of maturity and an "INCREDIBLY SELFISH ONE"...and proves that the elevator
is not going to the top, hence the natural selection "jokes".

Sorry, when I see someone without a helmet the only thing I think is...
"what an IDIOT."

Not to mention Harley riders almost never where them,
which are the people who you are choosing to emulate :stoopid:

It kills me when I see some :moon: on his harley riding like a jerk
like his machine is just all, that weaving around cars, tail gating, etc.,
no helmet...It all fits.:stoopid::stoopid:

Good point on picking up girl and having a lid for her. Fl is almost 600 miles long so way down here in WPB I dont have to worry about passing thru a helmet/no-helmet area.
My Costas are fine in the helmet up to Ludicrous Speed. Without a lid I would not know.
Only thing I remember is growing up riding my KDX80 with my walgreen bought glasses and tears running down my cheeks. Momma kicked me good and that was the last time I rode lidless. Not calling anyone stupid at all.
To each his own. I do alot of things people still don't agree with, mainly its the ones to the left that don't agree with me but hey I was just checking.

Back