Can anyone please explain....

Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If any of you are seriously going to argue the "it's just selfish" defense, then I suggest you get off your bikes and sell them immediately, because you're being selfish by riding such a dangerous vehicle when you could be riding a car that is 30 times safer.

In the late eighties I was riding a honda Magna 750
My Son who was I dunno maybe 3 years old came out to the garage.
He was standing next to my bike and I thought at that time...one of them
has to go. (I kept the kid) I got rid of the bike, I didn't want my Son playing catch by himself
in the yard. I found the RISK unacceptable for my family at that time. Personal
choice, I gave up riding for nearly 15 years. I put my family first.

Now that my kids are in their 20s, I find the RISK more palatable.
Granted they would still miss me and their lives would be
changed but not to the degree of loosing me when they were 5.

And then as now, I do not behave WRECKLESSLY and increasing the RISK factor
by 10 by not wearing a helmet.

If you don't wear a helmet, where do you place the value of your family in the scheme of things...
Their ENTIRE future is not worth your momentary "comfort"?

I can't fathom the selfishness of someone with a family refusing to wear a helmet beacuse
"It's their life"...your missing it completely.

Last edited:
And then as now, I do not behave WRECKLESSLY and increasing the RISK factor
by 10 by not wearing a helmet.

So I can be clear, are you saying that not wearing a helmet increases the risk by 10 percentage points or by a factor of 10? Because the statistics indicate that not wearing a helmet increases the risk by a factor of .25

And to be honest, it doesn't really matter what the factor may be, it will never be wreckless by any defintion of the word. A rider wearing a helmet can be wreckless.

Let me tell you something...in the late eighties I was riding a honda Magna
750...My Son who was I dunno maybe 3 years old came out to the garage.
He was standing next to my bike and I thought at that time...one of them
has to go. (I kept the kid) I got rid of the bike, I didn't want my Son playing catch by himself
in the yard. I found the RISK unacceptable for my family at that time. Personal
choice, I gave up riding for nearly 15 years.

While I commend you for that decision, I don't really see how that plays into our discussion. We're talking about relative risk.

I can't understand it is everybodys choice on it they want too were one it does not make them stupid!

I ride with all the gear because I expect/plan to crash! It's a great ride if I don't. People who don't wear helmets are don't expect / plan to crash. This is why they are squids / stupid.

I guarantee if you had the power to look into the future and you told a non helmet rider they were going to crash today they'd wear a helmet.

I can't understand it is everybodys choice on it they want too were one it does not make them stupid!

your sentence is a little incoherent but I think I get the jist...

just because there are choices doesn't mean they are all good,
you never made or heard of a stupid choice ???

Not wearing a helmet qualifies...

Back