~~ camshaft install ~~

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Greetings,

I have been kicking this idea around for quite a while now. I can repair and fix just about anything but this gets into many things. Cam timing, shimming etc.

I guess the first question is how much work? Engine have to be removed? Can you do this mod with common skills?

Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

runeight...

You need to know how to degree the cams, first off. You will need a dial indicator to find top dead center, and to measure the duration of the lobes. You will also need a degree wheel.

The rest comes down to a lot of math, to make sure its wright!
And Yes it can be done in the bike, you do not need to pull the motor.

(runeight @ Dec. 22 2006,14:49) Greetings,

I have been kicking this idea around for quite a while now. I can repair and fix just about anything but this gets into many things. Cam timing, shimming etc.

I guess the first question is how much work? Engine have to be removed? Can you do this mod with common skills?

runeight...
Only if your going for MAX hp (and it may be small) , or for many other mods , turbo , bigbore.......

if your just street riding , I would NOT mess with cam timming ! or are you talking about change the exhaust cam with an intake ? that job would be alot easier if its just a remove and replace . Hope that helps ?

(ddub @ Dec. 22 2006,16:02)

runeight...
Only if your going for MAX hp (and it may be small) , or for many other mods , turbo , bigbore.......

if your just street riding , I would NOT mess with cam timming ! or are you talking about change the exhaust cam with an intake ? that job would be alot easier if its just a remove and replace . Hope that helps ?
You cant just swap the intake cam, for the exhaust with out using a set of adjustable sprockets!

thanks for the replies. Might just be easier to travel up Cloud 9's way and just watch him do it.
tounge.gif

runeight...

(runeight @ Dec. 23 2006,04:22) thanks for the replies. Might just be easier to travel up Cloud 9's way and just watch him do it.  
tounge.gif

runeight...
If you haven't done it before,,, I wouldn't try by yourself yet!

(GIXERHP @ Dec. 22 2006,18:36)
(ddub @ Dec. 22 2006,16:02)

runeight...

You cant just swap the intake cam, for the exhaust with out using a set of adjustable sprockets!
+1 on the swap... But, APE does sale the set-up!
Forgot to mention might required a new fuel map for your power commander, that is if your looking for every last drop of power
smile.gif

Just general cam install and timing's pretty simple, to me, anyway. It can be done with the motor in the frame, you just have to remove TB's (optional, but I'd do it), valve cover, chain tensioner, starter cover & clutch, etc.

I have a PDF version of the manual, which walks you through setting stock timing with stock gears.

If you're swapping the exhaust cam for an intake cam, it takes quite a bit more effort/skills, which is where the degreeing may come in to play, since the factory intake gear's not marked for installation on the exhaust side.

Back