CA Driving test

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
After not riding for 12 years, I let my endorsement go, mostly because I was dirt poor and foolishly thought I'd never ride again, etc. etc. etc.

(Word to the wise: If you have a Motorcycle endorsement, do what you have to do to keep it forever!)

In any case, now I have a California DMV appointment for Sept 9 to finish up the endorsement and I'm being told by many that it can't be done on a Hayabusa or any other large bike.

Any truth to that? If it can be done, what do you have to do to make it happen? How far apart are the cones and how fast do you have to drive through them? If it's possible to pass, I'll want to do at least a LITTLE practicing.

I have a friend who has a moped, fully street legal but not freeway legal with a 125 engine. Can that be used to do the test? I may be able to borrow it but I don't want to ask her if it's not a qualified bike.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! The freeways and mountains are calling out my name! Can you hear 'em?

"Hey, Wag! Getcher butt out here!"

--Wag--

I used a bike from the dealer I bought a bike from to take my test. I would check that out if nothing else. You bought a bike there, see how generous they are to you.

I think the reason it is difficult on a busa is because the turning radius is not there. In Fla they require you to make a U-turn in a narrow width, I don't recall the exact distance. Most people with sport bikes have trouble. I would get the guidlines from the DMV and practice, If you can't do in on the busa, borrow the 125.
You might want to do the 125 anyway, it's just more forgiving.
smile.gif

you can't, the busa is too big for the course. you should take the MSF basic rider's class. four classes, and if you pass, you automatically get your license. ah, you have to pass the written DMV test of course... but that is it. you learn some good tips at that class too. if you don't want to go through that, just find a smaller bike!

you can't, the busa is too big for the course. you should take the MSF basic rider's class. four classes, and if you pass, you automatically get your license. ah, you have to pass the written DMV test of course... but that is it. you learn some good tips at that class too. if you don't want to go through that, just find a smaller bike!
the msf course is a good idea,the busa is fine for 90% of the test;it just can't do those damn circles.i took the test on a 425 suzuki and the circles were killing me. you might be able to pass if you do everything else well,the dmv testers know how hard it is,and i think they realise that test only ensures that you can ride in a parking lot!

Agree,, dot use your HB,, your just asking for trouble, borrow your friends bike.. Oh make sure you show up in full leather’s when you take your test with your moped
tounge.gif

if you are a good enough rider at slow speeds you can do it, I did it on my 1970 Harley and it weights more than my Hayabusa, but it is also lower.  but as I said if you are a good enough rider you can do it, just practice some slow tight turns, I believe the turning radius was around 7' or so, the circle seemed like it was 14 or so feet across.  Here is how my test went, you rode a straight line for about 10' then went in and out of cones that were placed about every 4' for about 16', then you go around the circle 1 1/2 times so that you come out the other side and do another set of cones and then a straight line again.  I believe he then made me do it again but starting on the other side to prove I was a better driver than a Nascar  in other words I could turn left and right.

Good luck!

oh yeah one other thing, go drive over to the dmv office and go out back and look for the course, you will see it painted on the ground, that way you can see what your in for.

<!--EDIT|PsychoZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094581465 -->

You can absolutely do it.  I did it in Fla on a big cruiser and I did it on my busa.  Busa was easier.  I did practice a ton before I could do it consistantly.  Here's what you need.  Go getchya a bunch of little cones or markers.   The weave drill is the hardest.  Here's how to set it up:

Start with 5 cones in a straight line 12 feet apart.  Take cones 2 and 4 and move them 2 feet to the right.  Start the drill 12 feet from the first cone.  Also, you are aligned 2 feet to the right of the first cone when you start.

Here's some tips on getting this:

- You will need to force the handlebars left and right to get the bike leaned over to turn sharp enough.  It's not a smooth ride, it's very physical.  You'll know what I mean when you got it right.

- Don't go too slow.  Get the feel of this drill by first starting it from a roll which is much easier.  The real test requires you to begin from a dead stop.

- Don't cut the cones so sharp that your rear tire hits.

- Once your front wheel is passing a cone, you need to lean deep into the next turn.

- Look where you want your wheel to go and not at the cones.

I've practiced this drill on many bikes, probably 1000 times now, and it's still tricky but obtainable.

Next difficult test challenge:  Make a left or a right through a right angle turn that is 5 feet wide at the entry points.  In other words, have a track that is 5 feet wide and 5 feet long.  Then have the track make a right angle left and go for 5 feet.  This one is a biotch too but doable.  The key to this one is to know your speed and entry lines.

Next challenge...  This one is pretty easy but is a mental game.  Bring your front wheel to a stop in a 2' x 2' foot square BEFORE putting your feet down.  That's that one.

Next challenge... Do a right hand u-turn inside a 3 sided box.  The dimensions of the box are not posted but I guess it's about 2.5 standard parking spaces wide.  An empty parking lot with painted spaces is good to practice this one.

Next challenge...  Get the bike going 20 mph and through on the brakes when instructed.  Stop within an posted distance.  This one is easy.  

Next challenge... Get the bike going 20 mph and swerve right or left at the last second indication of the tester.  Pretty easy as well.

Remember, the course is rather small like a basketball court and is outlined.  At no time can you leave or touch an outline once you are in the course.  You can miss up to 19 points.   -5 points for each foot you put down.  -5 points for touching a line.  -10 points for missing a weave cone.  -5 points for nicking a weave cone with your tire.  Here is the usual order although it varies from day to day at any test site:

- Go through a test of your bikes signals and brakes, etc.
- Verify you have a helmet and protective eye gear.
- Straight through and turn through the right angle.
- Make another turn to and head to the box to stop your front tire in before touching your feet.
- If the guys tough, he'll make you pass the opposite way through the right angle again.  
- Do a Uturn inside the box and stop on a T which is the beginning of the weave drill.  Wait for weave drill instructions.
- Prey, do weave drill and stop before speed/swerve/braking challenges.
- Speed/swerve/braking challenges.

An easy way to make markers is to use the plastic wall protectors that prevent a door knob from busting a hole in drywall.  Paint them flourecent orange.

If you fail, you can take the test again 1 week later.  You have up to 90 days to pass and then you need to renew your learners permit.  I don't remember if there is a limit to how many times within 90 days you can take it but I think it might be 3.

If you can't pass the test, you can take an MSF course and you won't have to take the county test.

One more thing, if you can, I suggest going and taking a look at the course before you go to take your test. This will give you a feel for it and will lower your anxiety.

Good luck.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: "Nunya bidnezz"|1094585110 -->

Took the test today and failed miserably! Bummer.

Oh, well. The next available MSF course is at the end of this month so I went ahead and did the test today just as a matter of course. I'll register for the class tomorrow.

It was a relatively simplistic course. Five cones (Did that part with ease) then you have to go around a circle without letting your front tire cross outside the lines. It's about 15 feet in diameter. THAT was the part I couldn't do. Crap.

What I didn't know, because I didn't come back to read this forum in time, is that the course is mapped out next to the DMV and I could have gone over there at any time to practice. Dang. Came close, though, despite the challenge.

Oh, well. It was worth a shot!

MSF course, here I come!

--Wag--

Messed up first time also. There three options the DMV testor said. Practice allot more, Get a smaller bike or take MSF. Went with practice option. For three weeks before schedualed test. Went to the DMV just after closing time every day to practice the keyhole. Did fifteen minutes, bike overheated, road around the block then back to keyhole for another fifteen minutes. Would see the DMV workers leave work everyday. One guy kept giving the thumps up get in his car and go. I'd be circling around around. So the day was there to do the test. The tester goes Oh it's you, you've pasted even before doing the test
biggrin.gif
Did the test anyway to make it official. BTW wasn't riding a Busa I'll have to see how it does on a Keyhole.

Messed up first time also. There three options the DMV testor said. Practice allot more, Get a smaller bike or take MSF. Went with practice option. For three weeks before schedualed test. Went to the DMV just after closing time every day to practice the keyhole. Did fifteen minutes, bike overheated, road around the block then back to keyhole for another fifteen minutes. Would see the DMV workers leave work everyday. One guy kept giving the thumps up get in his car and go. I'd be circling around around. So the day was there to do the test. The tester goes Oh it's you, you've pasted even before doing the test
biggrin.gif
Did the test anyway to make it official. BTW wasn't riding a Busa I'll have to see how it does on a Keyhole.
Do you know the exact measurement of the keyhole drill? I'd like to try it. 15' in diameter seems too small to be doable on anything but a small dirt bike.

I'd have to go out there with a tape to know for sure, however, I will say this. I had it turned VERY nearly all the way to the stop most of the way around.

--Wag--

I opted for the MSF course, since I was waiting on the arrival of my new H-D Heritage Softail at the time.

In Wisconsin, they actually make the rider wear an earpiece, and the examiner follows them in a car giving instructions while they ride through town. Everyone that has taken it complains about the U-turn part of it.

After I got my license and my Harley, I went back and tried the course using the painted dots on the pavement. When I went through the 90 degrees turns and scrapped my floorboards, I said fugg it, and went home. Chome = $$$.
laugh.gif

Good Luck Wag
cool.gif

You figured out the best way to pass the skills test.... Take the CMSP course on the cb125's and then go take the written.

CMSP Basic Rider = CA DMV Skills test (lollypop)

Last week, I took the MSF course. Good course, btw. Even if you've been riding a while, it can show you some bad habits, which it did for me. I only missed the quick stop, ie. didn't stop soon enough. Need to put that squeeze on the front brake MUCH harder. Ironically, on my way home, a little ol' blue-hair cut me off while I was approaching a red light and I had to use that fast stop then, lemme tell ya! Bet I would have passed with THAT stop!

Anyway, 10 days or so to get the form from the school and then off to the DMV for the M1 and then I'll be begging you So CA guys to take me on some rides witcha and show me some stuff!

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, FINALLY!!!!!

--Wag--

Plug for U-ride in Costa Mesa. Great BSC (Basic Safety Course). Can't recommend it enough.

Especially since they got my DL-389 to me within TWO days.

And now I have my M1 license endorsement!

And put 500+ miles on the bike in two days, just driving aimlessly, racing other bikes, playing . . . . Ahhhhhhhhh.

It's DAMN good to be back on the roads again!

--Wag--

Back