16/42 Gearing Question

SQL_GOD

Registered
I am looking at doing the 16/42 sprocket set up that seems very endorsed on this site, I have two questions

1. Will I need to get a new chain? Or will stock one work...
2. 6th gear freeway rpm? Will it still be smooth at 80 or will it get all buzzy?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I'm new...

Thanks!

Best to change all three components at the same time. Don't have too, but recommended. The stock chain is 112 links and will work just fine, size wise, just a little on the weak side. I went to a 42 rear and DID ZVM 530 at the same time, replaced the front with a stock 17t. It rocks! 16/42 would be even more fun if you're into the acceleration thing. 42t made the bike no more buzzy then before imo. The loss on top end was well worth the gains on the bottom. If you're going to do it yourself, make life easy and get the promotion jumbo chain tool at the same time...not good to skimp in this area!

just check your chain out and if it's still in good shape you should be ok.. if you take care of your chain it'll probably outlast you, and the bike.

Thanks, the chain only has 1000 miles on it...Just wanted to make sure it would be long enough. I don't want to replace it until it wears out.

moondog, y did you replace the front sprocket with another 17t stock? r there any negatives to doing the 16/42 setup? how much did u guys spend all together on it? (installation by yourself)
rock.gif

I spent $90. (2 day ups included) for both Vortec gears...would have been 70 without shipping. Got them through kneedraggers.com I have had great luck that site. SUPERB Customer Service!!

6 gear rpms run up to about 5.5k is easy on you not nerve racking at all...

I run the stock chain with 16/42 gears, it seemed to shorten the wheelbase about a half inch but adjusted fine at the swing arm. Run your current setup to around 85 to 90 MPH and that is where you will be at RPM wise at Hwy speed with the new gears. I don't mind the higher RPM but you may not like it. This is the best mod i have done to the bike. Front sprocket was like $20, the rear was like $47.

SG, always best to change both sprockets and chain as a set if you can, unless your present components have less than 5000 miles on them. A worn sprocket can damage a new chain and vise-versa, resulting in a shortened life span for all three components. Most likely overkill resulting from working on aircraft. However, many horror stories on the busa boards about chain/ sprocket related accidents, both in cost to repair and crashes....why chance it...my 17t front cost $15, DID chain was $140, and I paid $25 for a new steel 42t rear from a member here. I don't want anything flying apart at 150. For my riding style, 16/42 may have been a little much, just personal preference. I found the gearing calculator very helpful in determining what set up was right for me. I think it is "sticky pinned" here, if not I can e-mail you a copy.

I am looking at doing the 16/42 sprocket set up that seems very endorsed on this site, I have two questions

1. Will I need to get a new chain? Or will stock one work...
2. 6th gear freeway rpm? Will it still be smooth at 80 or will it get all buzzy?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I'm new...

Thanks!
Yes it will be quite abit buzzier at a "true" 80...I have a 16 tooth front and a speedohealer....the big buzz starts just above 80...so with your gearing it'll prolly be closer to 75 or so. That was a concern of mine too so I used the gear calc and decided 16 was enough...I'm very happy with the results at a mile in elevation...its gonna rock when I move to sea level
biggrin.gif

Back