Buying this used busa - opinions please?

1UP

Registered
So I think I've narrowed down my selection to one particular busa that i'm very interested in purchasing (if price is right). Only problem is that the guy lives about 1.5 hour away from me and if I do decided to make a trip to see it in the next few days, I'd like to bring it back home with me (can't test ride because of snowy/slippery road conditions). My concern is if my suspicions are true that it has been laid down and he's just not wanting to tell me. I'd like to reach out to you guys and gals to see if you guys can convince me otherwise, based on the following information:

INFORMATION:
-2006 Hayabusa with 16k miles
-Original color stated as "black"
-Currently owned for 7 months
-Selling because it's not being used much
-Tank was repainted to black by previous owner
-All plastics are replaced with "new oem" black because original ones were sun-baked and faded
-has leather tank bra

UPGRADED PARTS:
-Hot Bodies "under-tail" ***I'm not sure what this is***
-Dan Moto GP exhaust
-Chrome swingarm
-Chrome controls
-Partial polished frame/wheels
-Lowered 1.25"
-Rear wave rotor
-New front and rear brake pads
-Michelin Pilot Power tires (front and rear with under 1k miles)
-New fork seals

Based on what you can see in the pictures, would you question why certain parts were replaced that may indicate it needing to be replaced because of a lay-down?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

My gut tells me you might be correct. They have replaced or repainted everything thats get damaged when one goes down. Plus they cover the new paint. Also whats up with the hole in right fairing and clutch cover looks rashed up a bit from the pics. Of course I could be wrong.

Who's the guy in the gauges?! It would appear the bike has been laid down based on the parts that have been replaced, but I can't say 100%. The GSX graphics are what really annoy me..but if it all checks out, then for the right price theres no reason not to go for it!

-D

Who's the guy in the gauges?!

-D

My apologies about that. I uploaded too quickly and forgot to blur him out of the picture. I don't know the guy so moderators, please remove that picture if you can. I looked around settings but couldn't figure out how to remove photos manually.

That's too much 4 that busa IMO...... the bike has been laid down or tipped over and I agree those Gsxr stickers annoy the hell outta me don't know why but they do :laugh:

I've seen a lot of Gen1 busa's in much better shape with less miles selling for that price or less. Pretty much any Gen1 between 2003-2007 is identical minus the color scheme. So if I was you I would just save whatever $$$ you have and wait till something better comes around. The big issue that would worry me is the tranny issues that come with a Gen1. Seeing how it's snowing and cold where your @ there's no way for you to test drive it and see 4yourself. So you could end up buying it and not even know that the tranny is slipping and that's gonna be a $$Grand+$$ to fix.

FWIW.... I was in the same predicament not long ago. It was actually my introduction to this forum. I paid a little less than that for a 2004 with double the miles. But, it hadn't been dropped, everything was stock, and the guy who had it before me toured with it (Pashnit-style). Mine was very well-taken care of, and the color was exactly what I wanted.

If you're looking for a busa.... is this exactly what you are looking for? Meaning, this color and year? Do you like all of the aftermarket gear, or do you feel like you're settling just because you want a busa? You could find a better one for that price I think, especially if you're looking for a private dealer. Does the guy have all of the original parts with it?

When I got on mine, I knew practically nothing about these bikes, but I definitely would not have purchased if they would not have let me test drive it. I would STRONGLY discourage anyone from purchasing something like this without at least a test drive first.

I would check out cycletrader.com, and look at craigslist. Get some ideas on what people are selling for and the quality of the bikes. :thumbsup:

Actually, at this point I almost feel that I need to be persuaded to buy a Gen. 2 over Gen. 1 because of the mechanical improvements. I really only like the front of the Gen. 1 and that it might not cost me as much to purchase one over a Gen. 2. Maybe I should go and look at more pictures of Gen. 2 and hope that the look will grow on me. It almost seems like a much better investment to buy a Gen. 2.

I would say get the newest,lowest mileage bike you can afford(I've seen Gen II's in the $7K range and the look will grow on you,took me a while but now I actually prefer it).

I'll bet money that it has been damaged. If you look at the close up of the rear break - you can see that the frame has a dent in it.
If it was mint and you couldn't ride it that would be one thing - but I wouldn't buy that one without a ride, and since you can't - pass on it.
I would pass on that bike. It looks to rough for it's age and miles IMO.

With that being said I would not be afraid to buy a Gen I. I'm sure there are nice bikes out there that run very well and have been taken care of
and would suit your Needs fine. It's your choice for sure - just saying there are nice Gen I's - that run fine.

Buying a used bike without a test ride is a HUGE RISK, especially 1.5 hours away. I bought mine, also '06 two years ago, and the seller said everything was perfect. I test rode the bike for about 10-15 min (while the seller was holding $6500 cash in hands), both on the street and the highway. Guess what, 2nd gear popped twice on acceleration. I returned back, got my cash, and drove back home with an empty trailer. It was a 40 min drive one way.

A short time later, I test rode another '06, and everything was perfect. And that's the bike I trailed back. 1 hour drive one way.

There could be a gazillion things which you may discover during a test ride, but not any other way: strange sound, jerky engine, tranny problems, leaking oil, leaky forks, bike pulling to the side, something rattles, smoke from the exhaust, and so on.

Nothing wrong with Gen 1. Also, keep in mind if you decide to go turbo route, you get more bang for the buck with Gen 1.

My apologies about that. I uploaded too quickly and forgot to blur him out of the picture.

I thought that was you! (after i couldnt figure out why the hell someone would want a gauge face to be of some random guy)

The big red flags have all been mentioned above, I'd pass unless you could get it for 3k or so, If he is a confident seller ask him to strip the plastics and the tank bra off for closer examination.

-D

If the frame has a dent, I think 3k might be too much. I don't think that can be repaired, can it? Wouldn't that call into question the safety of the frame as a whole? If I have 4 wheels, that's one thing. But with two.... ?

For reference I just sold my immaculate 05 Hayabusa with mods and 11k miles for $5800 and I'm about to buy a 9.5/10 Gen2 with 12k miles and exhaust for $6500. Be patient, deals are out there.

Back