Sprocket size opinions please

InfiniteReality

Registered
When I installed the extended swingarm and 250 tire, decided I'd go up 2 teeth in the rear to offset the extra tire/wheel weight and so it'd be more fun. I average 33mpg with this setup.. Fast forward 5 years and last 3k miles have just been riding to work and where ever, lots of interstate travel. I definitely roll the throttle for fun still, but thinking of going back to stock gearing to help with the mpg and still be fun. I'm considering even going down 1-2 teeth in the rear over stock, but I don't want to feel like the bike is a slug.

What's everyone's thoughts? Stock gearing or go further and drop couple teeth as well? How does it feel if I went with -2 teeth in the rear?

I have not experimented with sprocket sizes on this bike as I think its pretty well spot on for me being it has a 6 speed box and my fuel econamy is great on mine 400km easy on a tank I love it :thumbsup:

Right now with +2 sprocket I get about to 130 miles when my light comes on. I'd love to get 200 miles before that happens.

I think stock may be best option or if I feel like it maybe -1 in rear. I have to adjust my speedo back either way from where I have it set now.

I run 19 front and stock 43 out back .
Best mpg 52 plus avg 47 mpg low when playing is 38 to 42
Been 263 miles on a tank

That big wheel is costing you more fuel mileage than the gearing! If you want to go down, I would leave the front stock and go down in the back a little. Remember small changes to the front sprocket have a bigger reduction in the gear ratio than the larger rear shock.

Yep the big wheel is causing it to suffer, as well as +2 in the rear. Think -2 is too much to go down in the rear and still be fun to play?

I'm up 2 in the rear and down one in the front. This changes the feeling of the bike significantly. The bike feels more angry and aggressive, which works for me and my riding style (I only ride for fun - no work or runs to the store). I used to use 6th gear as an overdrive, now I occasionally use it and it will pull pretty hard in 6th. I ride in the 4K -8K range normally, which makes for a bit buzzier cruise on the interstate. I used to roll around 3K on the highway (minding my manners of course) with stock gearing and the bike was very smooth, if a bit lazy. So there are a couple things to think about:

1. Power - go too high on the gearing and the bike can become unrideable
2. Buzzing - higher gearing mean more buzz and noise
3. Gas - mileage and gearing are inversely proportional.
4. Tires - high gearing more tire wear.
5. Smaller front sprockets wear chains more, so for general street use a bigger or smaller rear sprocket is better. If you are racing and looking for every advantage a front sprocket is lighter with less inertia, so you might go there and risk chain wear. I was told this by a knowledgeable source, take it with a grain of salt.

Of course you know all that but some might not so I went through it. Gearing is a big part of setting the bike up to your riding style. It is actually amazing how much you can change the character of the bike. Gear too low and the bike will feel weak and lazy. Gear too high and throttle control becomes more difficult and you can get into trouble much quicker.

Now to your question (finally)! I don't have experience with larger tires but a 250 is not crazy over-stock, so stock gearing will probably be fine. I would not go lower than stock though. I am a heavy guy and that plays into it too. IMHO, I think you will make the bike boring long before you get to any real gas mileage advantages.

Thanks fallen!! You're right, with me up 2 in the rear makes it alot more fun around town riding. When I did the wider tire and +2 in the rear I did alot more in town driving. Since then I've built a house in a small town and now do mostly interstate and back road riding. The RPM buzz when riding is alot more noticeable now and of course notice my MPG go down. Sad I'm even worried about gas mileage, but really it's more on how often I have to fill up now which is like every few days. I think with a gearing change I can at least make it a full week before needing gas (~200 miles). It sounds like stock gearing would be the best overall setup for my riding. Better gas, less fill ups, yet still fun when I want it to be. :)

Thanks again for the info, I feel better about what I should go with. Just occurred to me I should dig around and see if I can possibly find my stock rear sprocket and swap them out for a week and see how I like it.... Just wonder if I actually kept it, lol

I'm up 2 in the rear and down one in the front. This changes the feeling of the bike significantly. The bike feels more angry and aggressive, which works for me and my riding style (I only ride for fun - no work or runs to the store). I used to use 6th gear as an overdrive, now I occasionally use it and it will pull pretty hard in 6th. I ride in the 4K -8K range normally, which makes for a bit buzzier cruise on the interstate. I used to roll around 3K on the highway (minding my manners of course) with stock gearing and the bike was very smooth, if a bit lazy. So there are a couple things to think about:

1. Power - go too high on the gearing and the bike can become unrideable
2. Buzzing - higher gearing mean more buzz and noise
3. Gas - mileage and gearing are inversely proportional.
4. Tires - high gearing more tire wear.
5. Smaller front sprockets wear chains more, so for general street use a bigger or smaller rear sprocket is better. If you are racing and looking for every advantage a front sprocket is lighter with less inertia, so you might go there and risk chain wear. I was told this by a knowledgeable source, take it with a grain of salt.

Of course you know all that but some might not so I went through it. Gearing is a big part of setting the bike up to your riding style. It is actually amazing how much you can change the character of the bike. Gear too low and the bike will feel weak and lazy. Gear too high and throttle control becomes more difficult and you can get into trouble much quicker.

Now to your question (finally)! I don't have experience with larger tires but a 250 is not crazy over-stock, so stock gearing will probably be fine. I would not go lower than stock though. I am a heavy guy and that plays into it too. IMHO, I think you will make the bike boring long before you get to any real gas mileage advantages.

I would personally never run a tire bigger than a 200 50 or 55 out back but as far as a good 190 50 set up the 18/45 is a great compromise to bring some real g forces down to the 80-150 mph mark. After that you lose a bit of umpff and a strong liter may catch back up.

I would personally never run a tire bigger than a 200 50 or 55 out back but as far as a good 190 50 set up the 18/45 is a great compromise to bring some real g forces down to the 80-150 mph mark. After that you lose a bit of umpff and a strong liter may catch back up.

I appreciate the info, but I'm running a 250 out back.

Yep the big wheel is causing it to suffer, as well as +2 in the rear. Think -2 is too much to go down in the rear and still be fun to play?

-2 in the rear will make a stock rear tire feel noticeably weaker.
With the extra weight of your 250, any less than what you already have(the +2)will take the fun out of it.
Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, I was misleading. I was meaning - 2 from what I have now so basically back to stock. For my style of riding, I think stock is best bet for it all. If not can always put the - 2 back on.

I've been procrastinating about buying it, with other projects going on.. But I have to do a retrofit on the headlight so it'll be down for a week and can get sprocket done too. Will definitely update my thoughts

Finally got around to buying a new Vortex stock size steel sprocket and installed a new chain while I was at it. Had to recalibrate the speedo, but it's dead on now. Stock was a couple MPH off. I'm not totally sure how much the RPMs dropped, I'd guess maybe 1300 or so.

Before swapping it, I filled the tank up.....kind of curious how much my gas mileage will increase. If memory serves, I getting 33mpg with the +2 sprocket. Should know in a couple days what I gained.

I just bought a new EK 3D black and gold chain and decided to get change the sprockets also. I wanted to experiment so I got 18t front and a 39t rear. I think that will give me a truer speedo reading on my 2000 Bird without the need for a speed healer. I may go up a few in the rear to see the results from both

I just bought a new EK 3D black and gold chain and decided to get change the sprockets also.

I wanted to experiment so I got 18 teeth front and a 39 teeth rear.

I think that will give me a truer speedometer reading on my 2000 Bird without the need for a speed healer.

I may go up a few in the rear to see the results from both.

This was with 17 front & 39 rear ~ still goes to the peg on the speedometer . . .

Let me know how you like the 18 front / 39 rear ~ I might go one up in the front or one down out back . . .

RedBull: I really dig the clear grab bar. That's the first time I've come across one.

Busafan08: I believe you're right, 17/43 is stock sizes.

After riding the bike for a few days, I think it's more of a 700rpm loss over the 17/45 combo. I should have paid more attention before I swapped back.

Back