Buying 06' busa: what mods are necessary...

just start the bike and let it warm up an every clear opening on the road you get nail the hell out, go through the gears. thats the only way to break in,but i do agree with the oil change, but like they said everyone got his or her opinion.it's up to you to decide.
devil.gif

Mods that are necessary? None really. Although there's a few things that most people do. The kick-stand mod and some protection for the back of the tank might help save its looks from nasty fall-overs or belt-buckles. And replacing the lower headlight bulb with a HID lamp is popular too (I must admit the stock low-beam brightness leaves something to be desired).

But nothing is really "necessary" to do to enjoy your Busa. Now... if you want to go nutz with the mods, that's another story. Just open your wallet and let the green-backs fly away!
smile.gif
For me, I like the stock look, but hey, each to their own. Your first order of business should just be, ride! Congrats on your new Busa!
cool.gif

Mods that are necessary? None really. Although there's a few things that most people do. The kick-stand mod and some protection for the back of the tank might help save its looks from nasty fall-overs or belt-buckles. And replacing the lower headlight bulb with a HID lamp is popular too (I must admit the stock low-beam brightness leaves something to be desired).

But nothing is really "necessary" to do to enjoy your Busa. Now... if you want to go nutz with the mods, that's another story. Just open your wallet and let the green-backs fly away!
smile.gif
For me, I like the stock look, but hey, each to their own. Your first order of business should just be, ride! Congrats on your new Busa!
cool.gif
+1 Ride it and you soon see what mods you want to do.

I'm completely comfortable with leaving my Busa stock, aside from reflector/decal removal and a tank pad protector installed.
Change the oil and filter after a couple hundred miles and clean and lube that chain every 300-400 miles and you should have many trouble free miles of enjoyment ahead of you.
Your idle speed might start to drop towards 1000RPM as your busa starts accumulating miles, adjust it up to 1200 and you should be good to go. One thing I did do the first day of ownership and this is strictly personal preference, is I adjusted the slack out of the throttle play; I like the "instant on" response when I twist the wrist.

For me the must have purchases were a throttlemeister, lowering the back, and an aftermarket screen so I could see the signals.......Other than that, everything else is just gravy!
biggrin.gif

Mods that are necessary?  None really.  Although there's a few things that most people do.  The kick-stand mod and some protection for the back of the tank might help save its looks from nasty fall-overs or belt-buckles.  And replacing the lower headlight bulb with a HID lamp is popular too (I must admit the stock low-beam brightness leaves something to be desired).  

But  nothing is really "necessary" to do to enjoy your Busa.  Now... if you want to go nutz with the mods, that's another story.  Just open your wallet and let the green-backs fly away!
smile.gif
 For me, I like the stock look, but hey, each to their own.  Your first order of business should just be, ride!  Congrats on your new Busa!  
cool.gif
Thanks FJ, but I hope I haven't given the impression I want to turn it into a showbike. Personally, I hate the extended swing arms, spinners, overabundant supply of chrome, tacky paint jobs, etc. Just not my flavor.

Does the owner's manual provide the "how to" when it comes to cleaning and lubing the chain, changing bulbs, etc.? Or is it something I can find from members (best methods) here on the board?

Thanks again everyone.

I had a 2005 and learned the hard way about watching out for the sidestand; make sure it is down and secure or do the mod. I have an 2006 now without the mod and am ok but watch it like a hawk when putting it down. Others here have mentioned good breaking in procedures and chaing the oil. I went to synthetic after 1000 miles and the engine revs easier and the tranny is tigher with it (watch the first 100 miles for any missed 1-2 or 5-6 gear shift misses which seem to be normal for this tranny at first). Other than that, I put a gel seat on it and some M-1 Sportecs which I like better than the stock tires. Michelin Pilot Powers are also highly rated here. Other than that, enjoy it and get used to its power. It is quite a machine. Doing 150 mph feels like 70 mph...lol.

There is nothing that you have to do other than....RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!!

Take some time to get to know the bike before you start messin' with one of the "BEST BIKES EVER MADE"  
wink.gif

What's wrong with the OEM stator cover?
rock.gif

Just don't crash...
tounge.gif
 If you are planning to crash, there are a lot more mods you need to do.  May as well install the new Goldwing Airbag mod....
laugh.gif
j/k
There was a right smooth comment.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Who are you Superman? Do you ride around like a grandma?
laugh.gif

I see you are from Ohio. You're probably a straight line, stretched arm, wannabe dragracer who knows nothing about twistie riding. If you were you would know that the possibility of going down is always a possibility! Get a clue!
lmao.gif

laugh.gif

Absolute necessary mods?  There are none.  Good things to do:  kickstand mod, reflector/sticker removal, trim mudflap.  After that, since you are tall you will probably want to replace the stock windscreen with a double bubble screen.  Then it's all a matter of what you have planned for the bike.
Couldn't agree more
idea.gif
except for the mud flap (styling some people don't like) . I like the mud flap because when I'am riding in the rain, it keeps MY backside clean  
laugh.gif

I'm gonna tel 'em Cookie sent me.....beautiful piece.

STATOR_COVER.jpg

For me the must have purchases were a throttlemeister, lowering the back, and an aftermarket screen so I could see the signals.......Other than that, everything else is just gravy!
biggrin.gif
Did you lower it for drag strip racing (saw the photo), looks, lack of leg length, etc.?
No lack of inseam, I am 6'3", lol

Partly for looks, a lot for the strip, but a BIG reason was that it took a TON of weight off my wrists and makes it more comfortable to ride, especially two-up. My wife used to smash me during braking, due to the nose down attitude. Now it is much better. Oh, did I mention looks??
laugh.gif

I like the mud flap because when I'am riding in the rain, it keeps MY backside clean  
laugh.gif
Riding in the rain!? Unless it's my main mode of transportation I'm only riding on Sunny days. Unfortunately, here in FL for about 4 months it's rain and sun on and off every couple of hours. Right now is a good time to ride here. Rain and sun is forecasted well this time of year.

Just keep it tasteful. Two general rules.

1. only replace original pieces with ones of better quality. (sounds funny but there is lots of junk aftermarket for the Busa.)

2. Form follows function my Busa brotha. Never sacrifice ridability for looks. If it goes fast and stops good it's cool. If it looks good while doing it, it's a bonus!

Damn! it's 2am and your screen name is making me hungry for eggs.
biggrin.gif

Just keep it tasteful. Two general rules.

1. only replace original pieces with ones of better quality. (sounds funny but there is lots of junk aftermarket for the Busa.)

2. Form follows function my Busa brotha. Never sacrifice ridability for looks. If it goes fast and stops good it's cool. If it looks good while doing it, it's a bonus!

Damn! it's 2am and your screen name is making me hungry for eggs.
biggrin.gif
I definitely like the clean and tasteful look while keeping function over form. I always feel that "Showchrome" bikes with extended swingarms and horrific airbrush paintjobs are for those trying to make up for a lack of something else ("please look at me" posers maybe). Too each his own. Like I said, just my opinion.

Oh and over easy is the best way to have eggs.

"Over easy...as to not break my yolk."

Back