Buy gen3 or gen2?

Dear friends,

I apologize if already asked elsewhere but couldn't find anything with a simple search.
I was ready of purchasing a brand new gen3 but I noticed that the idiotic "climate" rules in Europe have suppressed the engine's power to 190 HP.
Is it non-sensical to prefer a low-mileage gen2 model, or is there any way of restoring the lost power of the gen3 without risking engine's health?
I am not a speed-addict, I only resist to the politicians...

thank you
Antonis

Welcome,

I suggest you take a bit of time and look over the Gen 3 threads and posts....all the answers to your questions are in those...

Your question as to what generation bike to get all boils down to your own personal taste....nobody on this forum are qualified to know what your desires are.

Good luck on whatever generation you decide to go with.

Welcome,

I suggest you take a bit of time and look over the Gen 3 threads and posts....all the answers to your questions are in those...

Your question as to what generation bike to get all boils down to your own personal taste....nobody on this forum are qualified to know what your desires are.

Hi. If you want to make big power buy a Gen 1. If you want to keep it mostly stock ( no motor work ). I ( this is only my option ). Buy a well keep Gen 2.

Welcome,

tnx, I'll go through more thoroughly.

tnx, I'll go through more thoroughly.
It really would be worth your time...the gen 3 has been out for a while now and there have been lots of real world testing and riding......enough to make a decent comparison between gen 2 and 3...

Honestly other than the electronic suite, cruise control and body work, the two bikes are very similar and all the same sorts of mods people did with the gen 2 are being done to the gen 3...

Some say the gen 3 is more comfortable but you will see post after post of people modifying it for comfort-the same mods done to previous generations so I would wager stock for stock it's comfort isn't much better than the gen 2.

To get the gen 3 up to even gen 2 power will cost your pocket book but the research has come a long way and the gen 3 can be improved in that aspect.

In my opinion, if you are asking that question, just get a Gen 2 and save money. Why? You mentioned power levels, not design and new features. The bikes look totally different, which was my main requirement when getting my Gen 3.

Wordiness incoming, I couldn't care less about it being a few ponies short. Despite less peak power, stock for stock, from all I've gathered throughout my research, the Gen 3 noticeably feels faster (and is faster) than the Gen 2, plus the QS also helps with that feeling of non-stop acceleration and thrust.

Even if the Gen 3 had much less horsepower than the Gen 2, I still would've bought it because, again, my motivator was its new design and new features, not increased horsepower compared to the previous gen.

Now, you say you're not a speed addict, which is also my case. You have a strong chance of loving the Gen 3's feel versus the Gen 2 if peak horsepower is not at the top of your priority list even if your post suggests that.

Last edited:
It really would be worth your time...the gen 3 has been out for a while now and there have been lots of real world testing and riding......enough to make a decent comparison between gen 2 and 3...

Honestly other than the electronic suite, cruise control and body work, the two bikes are very similar and all the same sorts of mods people did with the gen 2 are being done to the gen 3...

Some say the gen 3 is more comfortable but you will see post after post of people modifying it for comfort-the same mods done to previous generations so I would wager stock for stock it's comfort isn't much better than the gen 2.

To get the gen 3 up to even gen 2 power will cost your pocket book but the research has come a long way and the gen 3 can be improved in that aspect.

In my opinion, if you are asking that question, just get a Gen 2 and save money. Why? You mentioned power levels, not design and new features. The bikes look totally different, which was my main requirement when getting my Gen 3.

Wordiness incoming, I couldn't care less about it being a few ponies short. Despite less peak power, stock for stock, from all I've gathered throughout my research, the Gen 3 noticeably feels faster (and is faster) than the Gen 2, plus the QS also helps with that feeling of non-stop acceleration and thrust.

Even if the Gen 3 had much less horsepower than the Gen 2, I still would've bought it because, again, my motivator was its new design and new features, not increased horsepower compared to the previous gen.

Now, you say you're not a speed addict, which is also my case. You have a strong chance of loving the Gen 3's feel versus the Gen 2 if peak horsepower is not at the top of your priority list even if your post suggests that.
Thank you for your ideas. There is also a third option, it had escaped my mind: a low mileage Gen3 with horsepower already raised, as I found in Belgium one, 163 kW (222 hp). I will anyway keep looking because I could only try out the saddle of the Gen3 (sincerely comfortable and not aggressive for long journeys).

cheers

Thank you for your ideas. There is also a third option, it had escaped my mind: a low mileage Gen3 with horsepower already raised, as I found in Belgium one, 163 kW (222 hp). I will anyway keep looking because I could only try out the saddle of the Gen3 (sincerely comfortable and not aggressive for long journeys).

cheers
If the hp on a gen 3 is raised to 222, it has to have had engine work, bolt ons won't get it to that level.

I've had all three gens, 1, 2, and now 3. Hands down, the gen3 is the best motorcycle money can buy for anywhere from $16k to $18k! Has all the bells and whistles, clutchless up and downshift. I know a little clunky but works just as good a the BMW1000rr I had. The most important for arm, wrist, and hand fatigue is cruise control. The little throttle helpers on other bikes don't cut it. Also, the gen3 gets 42mpg. In Europe where gas prices are high it's a +++++! It's quiet and has the I think the euro5 pollution controls. My last gen2 stunk from the exhaust and bothered me a lot with the fumes coming up into my nose at red lights. Now men, don't eat me alive, it's just my personal opinion, ok?

Gen 3 hands down just for the added electronics package. Most mods from Gen2 are coming or are already here for the Gen 3. Quickshifter is a beast although im looking into the woolich kit to make it even better.

I've had all three gens, 1, 2, and now 3. Hands down, the gen3 is the best motorcycle money can buy for anywhere from $16k to $18k! Has all the bells and whistles, clutchless up and downshift. I know a little clunky but works just as good a the BMW1000rr I had. The most important for arm, wrist, and hand fatigue is cruise control. The little throttle helpers on other bikes don't cut it. Also, the gen3 gets 42mpg. In Europe where gas prices are high it's a +++++! It's quiet and has the I think the euro5 pollution controls. My last gen2 stunk from the exhaust and bothered me a lot with the fumes coming up into my nose at red lights. Now men, don't eat me alive, it's just my personal opinion, ok?
Hello, thank you for sharing your experience regarding the fumes, I currently have (put for sale) a Kawasaki Versys 650 (2022) and I also have (had) stinking fumes from the pipe, with a taste between burning rubber and burning oil! The investigation boiled down to grease from the chain and rubber particles from the chain guide, all dependent from that part's overall design (confirmed otherwise by the mechanics), nothing to do with the pipe and catalyst in any way. I also know that most pollution comes out from the diesel engines, emitting particles dangerous for our lungs. The petrol engine is much more clean, and personally I do not follow the CO2 pollution religion. Unless we look at engines prior to EURO3, I do not think we will observe any strong differences as far as it concerns our smell/taste sense.
have a nice day

I bought a Gen-3 then a Gen-2 in that order. Ive had a few Gen-1’s but didn’t want another, I ride the 2 and 3 back to back. The Gen-3 really is a better bike for the street. Ignore the drama queens who go on about the 3’s lower horsepower, it’s still a great bike, it has a stronger mid range, and tuners are matching or bettering some of the Gen-2 numbers with the 3’s.

I bought a Gen-3 then a Gen-2 in that order. Ive had a few Gen-1’s but didn’t want another, I ride the 2 and 3 back to back. The Gen-3 really is a better bike for the street. Ignore the drama queens who go on about the 3’s lower horsepower, it’s still a great bike, it has a stronger mid range, and tuners are matching or bettering some of the Gen-2 numbers with the 3’s.
So the Gen 3 should be, Suzuki had how many years to get the formula right?

If we look back at the Gen 1, when the Gen 2 came along it didn't exactly wipe the street with the Gen 1...

The original Gen 1 was a hard bike to beat and still is....

Get the GEN3. If you want power you can do the exact same with the Gen 3 as the Gen 2. Turbos are coming out slowly. Motor builds are here. The aftermarket are catching it up to the GEN2. Comfort is there. Electronics are there. Cruise control, although i never been a fan, is stock on it. bi directional quickshifter is here too. Way better headlight comes factory LED and is super bright. ECU flashtunes are here and if you need it Aftermarket ECU are available. So there is nothing the GEN2 has that the GEN3 doesnt at this point.

Back