Busa Recall

OB_jr7501

Registered
Heard from the area Suzuki rep today that Suzuki just declared a recall on all Busa's. There seems to be some type of problem with the cam chain tensioner similar to what the 750's went through awhile back. Parts will be shipped to the dealers next week and letters to owners to go out soon there after. That's all I know.

I hope its true -- I've been telling the wrench down at the dealership that the noise I've been hearing is coming from the cam-cahin tensioner, and he's been telling me I'm nuts.

Vindication is sweet.

:)

Now, I can only hope that she'll hold together 'til they fix it.

:(

-- Falconer

VegasDude

Can you get recall notice #'s or copy of any paperwork for the rest of us ?
would appreciate any help. Local Atlanta shops play dumb about cam chain recall !
Please send any info to mtd@bellsouth.net

Thanks

Yes my bike is making strange noise also in the engine area,hope this posting is true cause the noise is getting loud,sounds like loose chain or something,same sound my Harley softtail primary chain makes when it's not adjusted correctly.

whats involved in changeing the tensioner ? I dont have a shop manual. have'nt had to mess with one of those since the 70's with
my CB350 !

Saw a few non-believers and yea, its true. Again, I was in the dealership picking up my new Victory (everyone needs at least one slow bike)and the Suzuki district rep stuck his head in the office to tell the owner that he just got off a conference call where they discussed the recall. He went on to say that the parts would be sent out next week and owner mailings to follow soon after. That's all I know....

Does any one has access to the Service Bulletin? It would be nice to post it or
offer it on the mailing list. On the TL-list there was someone who had a contact at Suzuki and every time there was a recall, he'd offer
to send a jpg. copy of the recall notice to us.

I've had a sound that is consistent with the movement of the chain. It can really only be heard at low speeds, like on a surface street. I don't hear it when moving with traffic on the highways.

I've been listening to it ever since we heard about it a couple months ago.
Is this something we can do without alot of dismantling?
I can't stand having people I don't exactly trust work on my bike.

Hey guys, I might have something for you, then again I might not...

Does the 'Busa have combination chain/gear driven cams like the TL's do?? Or does the chain wrap the crank and then wrap the two cams direct?? If it has chain/gear system I have some info for you.

Please don't flame me if this is a stupid question!

Roman, the chain goes around the crank then reaches for the sky up to the cams. Wraps around the cams then takes a dive to the crank. On the back side of the motor resides the tensioner.

I bet there will be a cam chain tensioner gasket shortage next, remember the Japanese writing translates to *backorder*!

A question from Dirty AND Ignorant Pete:

I've never had a vehicle recalled before.

I have no symptoms of this problem.

Do I have to take it in to maintain warranty?

If I decline to take it in and I get the problem after warranty is over, what happens?

How many hours of labor are involved in this job?

Perhaps some Members own Chyslers. They would be experts at answering questions about recall protocols.

Any help appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 09 October 1999).]

Hey 99TLR -

Kinda off-topic, but today I was at Del Mar and in the Honda tent was a new RC51. The rep started it up for us to hear...borrrrriiinnngg. Like the VTR. (it'll need pipes immediately). The rep said 130 hp. Sounds like it'll just match the TLR!

Thanks Kawabuser, glad you didn't take the p.i.s.s out of me for not knowing. On the TL's there are gears on the cams, driven by a gear, and then a chain to the crank. We get a problem with the anti-backlash mechanism on the gears, makes a noise when the mechanism doesn't work but no problem other than the noise.

I kind of like it, makes a clack-clack at idle, but grows into a delightful whine at revs, combines with the exhaust growl to make a very nice "race engine" sort of sound. I bet Honda's RC51 twin doesn't have that Suzuki magic, no more than the ZX-12 will ever "out-sexy" the 'Busa.

PS. Back on the topic of recalls and people who do their homework, there is a guy I know from the TLR sites that (don't ask me how) got the ENTIRE Hayabusa micro-film stuff, the same/similar that the dealers use, put it on a CD, and you can see all the exploded part diagrams and part numbers when you need stuff just like your dealer can. You get the CD when you join his club, about US$30 or so.

Once you start talking recalls and you want to know part numbers and keep one step in front, this is a good thing to have. I think his web site address is posted somewhere on this 'Busa board.

[This message has been edited by 99TLR (edited 09 October 1999).]

Pete--If your Bike falls within the Recall GET IT FIXED.
Your warranty will most likely not be covered after some reasonable time beyond the letters going out.
I also have heard this sound at low rpm, not real loud but there.
Your life is what you will be risking if you don't take of it.
Its getting cold soon anyway, or did you install the studs on your tires already.
Bob

Back