Busa Recall

Bob thanx for the info and advice; roger wilco.

It doesn't give me too much solace that winter's coming up...I like to keep the bike ready to go all year round. This is better for it than storage, too.

No studs planned...but we get plenty of clear, dry, cold days in the winter. Just throw on the snowmobile suit and fly!

Motoboy, off topic is right! Let's wait until the RC51s are on the road before we waste the forum's time talking about them. :)

Vegas-
I'll be at Desert Suzuki on Saturday (10:00) for my repair work. Bert's in Azusa is being a bunch of lame-O's! So, Todd in service said he'd do it for $00.00! It's a 2 hour ride for me, but the desert's pretty nice. Maybe we can have a coffee or something if you get an itch.

Bert Branson
The L.A. Hayabusas

PS: Thanks for the tip, Vegasdude!

Can someone post the serial number range that is recalled. That will answer the Year 2000 question.

ALL 1999 GSX1300RX's.
The Bulletin number is 110.
Most dealers only rec'd a fax. I do not know part numbers or any other details yet. My friend who is a mechanic at a dealer did not receive anything else yet. He said he would look into it to see if the parts/Bulletin are available yet.
The fax does not say much other than to inform the dealers of the recall campaign.
Bob

The parts to fix your bikes will be available at the dealer where you bought the bike. If you bought your bike at XYZ Suzuki you need to go to XYZ, and not ABC Suzuki.

Suzuki US is shipping parts to the dealerships by VIN #. This is how they explained it to me today.

Called three dealers,
One did not know a thing and said that a lot of info on the web is BS, and he will respond when Suzuki contacts him.

Another dealer said that he recieved a notice but no further info, he took my name and number and said he would call me back when he heard the rest of the information.

Dealer number three explained what I outlined above that the repairs should be carried out at the point of purchase as that is where the allocated parts would be.He also went on to explain that the repair could be involved requireing inspection of the chain wear guides and required removal of the valve cover, and that it may not be just a matter of unbolting the tensioner and replaceing it with a new one. This was all conjecture since he has not recieved the parts or any further info as of monday.

call any other dealer and ask if they received the "cam-chain tensior fax". My dealer tried to give me a copy of the fax but their coppy was broken.. I gave them my fax/printout of the service bulletins.. which they didnt have.

The fax was all the notification my dealer got about the recall. And they got it the day I was there. like Saturday.

Bert, I just posted what the dealer told me in person. His statement was based on that Suzuki was only shipping enough parts to him for the bikes his dealership sold.

This was the same dealership that did the warranty work on my bike for 108 and 109 bulletins.

A warranty is good at any dealership in the US, other dealers in the area have not even responded to the recall at all. Taking the we have not seen the recall notice yet approach.

Sorry if I added any confusion, I was just posting what I was told.

Dirty Pete.
This summer I worked at a Suzuki dealership ( had to earn some money to pay my education )and I changed several cam chain tensioner on 600 and 750. The instalation takes about 1,5 hours because U have to change the tensioner between the camshafts also( dont know if U have to do that on the busa also). Its a very easy thing to do but its also very easy to screw things up, so my advice would be to get to the dealer ( and pray they know how to turn a wrench :) ) as soon as they get the parts in.
And now over to some FalconCop stuff.
Since I worked at the dealership I can do it on my own and the warranty is still void...hehehehe
And EVERYTHING I do on the bike is also "legal" since I am the guy who approwes it....Take that FalconCop. :)

Kawabuser-
ANY (I stress ANY) authorized Suzuki dealership can do the work and will charge you ZERO. Some dealers don't have the info yet, but I bought mine at XYZ (Bert's in Azusa) and I'm taking it to the only darn place that will do it (Desert Suzuki/Honda in Vegas).
So, call around and talk to folks...I did!

Bert Branson
The L.A. Hayabusas

OK. You're going to have to forgive me for this but how do I know if I'm having a problem with the tensioner? What noise should I listen out for. I definitely have a few new noises but they could be normal.

SH-
Even if you don't hear any noise, take it in. Suzuki will pick up the bill-parts and labor. Find a dealer that will do it-that's the hard part!

Bert Branson
The L.A. Hayabusas

Hmmm. This is where my Parallel Import might be a problem although, as it was bought in the EU, it should still be covered. I have a 2 year guarantee with the shop I bought it from though so should be ok.

But just for the record, what noise will I hear if the problem is present?

Holy Kaw! My dealer just told me tne parts were in and to bring her on down! Thats Cycle Performance, Torrington CT, 860-489-6616... don't take no bull from no bogus deraler...Suzuki wouldn't like that...Kudos to them for the prompt(well practised?) response...almost enuff to forgive them for not being Honda!

Back