Busa prob still :(

javie

Registered
Ok so I go to start the bike and it's trying to fire, buncha white smoke comes through and some backfiring
sad.gif
there are no codes when it does the system check and fuel pump prime thing. After I try starting it for 5-10 seconds the FI flashes. I pulled the code and I'm getting C11.

C11 does not look like something good. Camshaft position sensor or circuit malfunction. Apparently the signal does not reach the ECM for more than 2 seconds after receiving the starter signal.

What exactly does this mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

well step 1.. were you in the area for maintainance?? did you forget to plug the cam position sensor plug back in?... 2, pop the cover and see if the sensor pickup(protuding pin on the cam) fell out... from then it's to resistances and connections and eventually perhaps a ckp sensor... baby steps

Ok this is probably a stupid question but which one of the sensors is the cam position sensor? Is it the one to the left of the first spark plug positioned sideways? If so, then yes I was in the area when I was changing out my plugs. I disconnected the wire to that sensor to made sure it was clear of corrosion put it back on tried to fire it up, same c11 code.

This is the sensor I am talking about here.

Far view, top sensor

Closer view, sensor at top, left of spark plug wire 1

c11 is deffinlty stating to be something to do with the cam sensor...!!!

yes, that's the one... resistance between contacts is listed as .9- 1.3k ohm.. and there should be no continuity to ground... if your resistance and insulation is correct you're at the point where you need a peak voltage meter to check ac output.... or just go nuts and take the cover off (or the sensor out) and look for the intake cam position rotor... it's a big conspicuous pin sticking out of the intake cam that the sensor detects... we could go through step by step, but that would take forever.. search "service manual" and try to find the downloadable pdf version on here somewhere, and it'll walk you through it

Hm I'd go do it right now but its 1am and dark and cold and might lose something in the bike. I'll check out the resistance in the morning and I have a copy of the service manual on my computer somewhere just gotta find it. Is the pin on the sensor or on the actual cam?

pin is on the cam... you will have to rotate the engine to see it if you just take the sensor out, it's easy to see if you have the cover off

Sounds pretty straight forward, I'm gunna grab some lunch, head home, and take the cover off and see what I find. Does the pin screw into the cam? How is it attached? Thx

It's pressed in ...supposed to be secure, never had one fall out for me, but have heard of it, so thought we'd better check because it mimics the code and symptoms of a bad cam position sensor

yep that's the pin.... looking more and more like a cam position sensor is bad.. of course,you'll want to check the wiring as well

Is there anyway to actually check if the sensor is bad? Or just run through and check the voltages/wires everywhere and last resort is the sensor dead?

Definitely check the voltage and continuity in the wires first as described in the diagnostic chart. Nine out of ten times it's a wiring problem and not the sensor. The last components to be condemned are the actual sensor or the computer. Too many people, (whether it's a bike or a car) pull a code and then buy that sensor and wonder why it's not fixed. Follow all the steps in the diagnostic chart and it will lead you to the exact problem.

Sounds pretty straight forward, I'll probably have time to do it this weekend I'll post up what I find out, thanks guys!

Alright pulled all the tests and here's my data. (Followed page 4-36 on the service manual)

CMP sensor resistance is 1.10 k ohms - OK
CMP sensor continuity came up as 1 on my meter so i'm guessing that was infinity - possible OK
CMP sensor peak voltage - .014V @2v meter on my multimeter - not OK, BAD; repeated it a few times, .014V was the highest it got.
Just for the hell of it I tested the voltage at the emc and here's what I got.
Lead 37 - .750V
Lead 44 - .750V
And also pulled the voltage on the other end of the wire where it connects to the CMP sensor and here's what I came up with.
Black/yellow wire - .723V
Brownish (peachish looking) wire - .724V

So to me its looking like the sensor is bad. Anyone wanna read my data and see what they interpret it as?

Thanks!

.014 peak on a spec of >= .7 would have me replacing a CMP sensor , yes sir.. and if they were big money or there wasn't one in stock a confirmation on a known good unit would probably be in order as well. Not a luxury the do-it-at-home guys have,I know.

Alright update here, I just got the new sensor, installed it. Tried starting the bike she wasnt having it. Tried it again and she fired right up, idled really high though (3k) so I figured i would turn it off, pull it into the driveway and check the throttle cables. Pulled it into the driveway, wouldn't start up, flashing me the C11 again after I try starting it for a bit. Checked the voltages on the wires to the sensor, theyre fine, the leads on the ecm, fine. Tried checking the peak voltage, not getting anything, and I don't have a peak voltage adapter to check the peak voltage.. Any suggestions?

Alright update here, I just got the new sensor, installed it. Tried starting the bike she wasnt having it. Tried it again and she fired right up, idled really high though (3k) so I figured i would turn it off, pull it into the driveway and check the throttle cables. Pulled it into the driveway, wouldn't start up, flashing me the C11 again after I try starting it for a bit. Checked the voltages on the wires to the sensor, theyre fine, the leads on the ecm, fine. Tried checking the peak voltage, not getting anything, and I don't have a peak voltage adapter to check the peak voltage.. Any suggestions?

Did you have any luck fixing it? I have the same problem at the moment. I havent checked my cam sensor yet but I did check the crank sensor and the resistance is ok but there is no voltage being produced through the sensor at all. Spec says 3V peak hold but I got nothing. No codes unfortunately as I have binned the gauge set as it is a drag bike

Back