Busa oil leaks

OB_Don Vernay

Registered
I remember reading a couple of posts from guys who were findi drops of oil under their bikes. Well, I must have changed 100 oil filters on everything from Honda Hawks to GSXR race bikes, but this is the first time i have ever had one leak on me, when I just did my 600 mile service on the Busa. I socked it down to specs and started to synch my throttle bodies when I noticed a couple of drops of oil under the bike. It looked like it was coming from one of the lower case bolts, but it was actually weeping out of the bottom of the filter. ANother 1/8 turn took care of the problem, but I can't remember ever having to tighten an oil filter that much.

Don, did you turn the filter 2 full turns after contact according to owner's manual the first time? Did you use Suzuki filter?

I just did my 600 mile and have not noticed any leak.

Don Vernay,

I noticed the same with the Busa oilfilter.
Two full turns after first seating meant having to put more torque on it than I've done on all my previous bikes with spin-on oilfilter, but hey ... no leaks!

It is a Suzuki filter, but I guess I didn't make it the full 2 turns. The last 1/8 turn stopped the leak though, but I can't remember ever having to sock down an oil filter that much.

Back