busa make a good everyday bike?

I ride mine 60 miles to work every day. Bike has never let me down. Only problem riding it to work is you do not want to pull into work when you get there! There are so many different tires available, milage will depend on your choice. I run the Maxxis Super Max. I get 6000-7000 miles on a rear, and the tire performes great in the twisties. !0,000-12,000 miles on a front tire is common. I have had my busa for 2 years and one month and it has 37,000 miles on it with not one repair. Other than oil changes every 3000 miles, spark plugs at 15,000 miles, front and rear brake pads, and a new chain at 27,000 miles, only thing I do is clean and lube the chain every 300-500 miles, and you will need to do that on any chain driven bike you buy. Members here take their busa to the track all the time, and I'm sure someone will post some knee draging action shots for you soon. My bike has never been in the shop, I do all the maint. myself. That is another great reason to by the busa, you have a wealth of information available to you on hayabusa.org. The members are AWESOME! They are there to help you with anything you need. My opinion is that the Hayabusa is the best all around bike that has ever been produced, period!
bowdown.gif

If you haven't looked at the main Forums page, look

These forums cover ANYTHING you can possibly imagine after 9 years of cumulative Busa knowledge from thousands of dedicated members. If you can't find it there, ask and somebody will have done it or know it and be happy to share their passion.
smile.gif

Under the Maintenance forum one of the first posts is pinned so it stays there, the entire Shop Manual is posted there free of charge to peruse at your leisure. Nice!
super.gif

The reason you get so much range on tires is you have LOTS of choices, which is good. Traction and longevity are an inverse relationship of course, many of us run the stickiest street tires you can buy, and get no more than 3000 miles on a rear, 6000 on a front.
Sport Touring tires do better, you can go with what GSXcite posted above and not go wrong. Hal goes pretty good fpr an AARP member...
poke.gif
laugh.gif

I think the 'Busa is an EXCELLENT everyday bike.I use mine to commute to work everyday.Very comfortable compared to my old bike,an '03 Superhawk.I picked my '03 on June 12th w/ 2163 on the odo,and now have 6200 miles on her.I ride every chance I get.I was averaging @46mpg,then I swapped the plugs and sync'd the TB's and am getting 38.Just 'cuz she's ALOT more fun now.I didn't think that was possible
firedevil.gif

Like mentioned above, you can search website and find all your answers. I have 7000 miles on stock tires and they are not ready for a change, but I do not ride as aggressive as some of the riders on this forum. I commute more and ride twisties less. I do however get the urge to twist the throttle once in a while and have managed to keep rubber on tires. If you buy a new bike, do the break in, change the oil as described in manual, Shift into 2nd and 6th like you mean it with planty of clutch for first 1,000 miles and you will not have issues. There are issues some have with transmission on new bikes, but I think it is more the rider tearing it up than the bike. During the break-in, the crappy oil first put in the busa makes it harder to shift correctly and everything is seating still. Get the crap oil out and get some synthetic in it, shift clean and hard, and don't try any power shifting or aggressive shifts for at least 1,000 miles and you will be fine.

25K on my 2001! no major prob's that i can think of. i ride the pilot powers and can squeeze about 2000-2500k on them. i got 19k from my stock chain and i ride similar to your style. this bike is just great all around and minimal maintenance, granted you take care of it when needed, brakes, chain, tires, etcetera... i would recommend the 15k valve adjustment for good piece of mind whether it needs it or not.

I haven't owned a car since 91. I've been riding my busa since 02 , everyday! Great bike all around . I also did a trip around the country on it.

Back