Currently have a 1998 CBR 900rr. Purchasing a new bike soon, Busa? Help?

wick001

Registered
I have a 1998 Honda CBR 900rr. I love the bike, won't ever sell it. I'm in the market for a NEW bike and was considering the 2012 Honda CBR 1000rr or the 2012 Hayabusa.

I live in Michigan, and my riding is 95% commute to work 30 miles a day. 5% riding around Detroit Belle Isle doing some mild twisties.

How would you compare the two? Thanks!

went from first mike 99 CBR 919 to an 06 busa limited. Never looked back the busa was way better in every aspect then the old honda. Never been on the new CBR1k but people do seem to like them but i would still pick a busa over that. My Gen2 busa is an improvement over the Gen1 and the Gen2.5 that comes out is adding ABS and brembo so personally I would get a 2013 over the 2012.

Honestly there is no comparison.... I've owned a 98 CBR 900rr too! That was an exceptional bike, I don't blame you 4 not wanting to part with it. I wish I still had mine, with that being said it still pales in comparison to the Busa Gen1 or Gen2. I was a Honda man my whole life prior to going busa. Trust me when I tell you it will be a decision you won't regret :whistle:

Welcome to the .Org! Growing up, I remember spending time at the local Honda dealership drooling over that bike. I think the new Honda liter bike is a great bike, but for a commute on a sportsbike, you'll never get anything as comfortable as the Hayabusa--unless it's a ZX-14. Oh, and post up a pic of that Honda!

Welcome to the .Org! Growing up, I remember spending time at the local Honda dealership drooling over that bike. I think the new Honda liter bike is a great bike, but for a commute on a sportsbike, you'll never get anything as comfortable as the Hayabusa--unless it's a ZX-14. Oh, and post up a pic of that Honda!

Here's my current baby 1998 CBR 900rr! BTW I'm 6'2" 230 as well. Still think the Busa would be better for a 30 mile round trip commute? Would the CBR be more fun?

1998Honda900rrFireblade012.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade011.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade010.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade009.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade008.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade007.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade006.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade005.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade004.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade003.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade002.jpg

1998Honda900rrFireblade001.jpg

Yeah show a pic of the bike I used to have as a reminder of what I foolishly got rid of :banghead:

Never rode a 900r
I can say this, if its like leaning over a 1000 the Busa is much more comfortable All around.
Is it as fun? Not really sure what your fun is but by looking at your 1+" chicken strips doesnt look
like you are a knee dragger or an aggressive weekend corner carver so that leaves straight roll on power
which it would be like getting off a 150CC scooter! my 09 Busa torque wheelies with my 6'7" 255 suited first 3 gears and settled the front wheel down around 115 MPH.

Here's my current baby 1998 CBR 900rr! BTW I'm 6'2" 230 as well. Still think the Busa would be better for a 30 mile round trip commute? Would the CBR be more fun?

Classic beauty, and really clean! The Busa will fit you perfectly, but you may want to add a double-bubble windscreen for more wind protection. Suzuki makes a nice OEM, and Puig and Zero Gravity also make nice replacements. As for fun, you'll be able to throw the liter bikes around in the corners, but the Hayabusa is a bigger, heavier beast, more comfortable and more stable at speed, and no matter what gear you're in, when you twist the throttle, it'll keep pulling like a freight train until you decide you've have enough. Try to take one for a test ride, and you'll be convinced.

Ive had and rode both extensively and the 900rr is fun to ride but the Busa is way more comfortable especially since you are taller not to mention that the busas are FI vs the carbs on the 900rr :whistle:

Back