Busa cap at 189 or 182?

MikesHardware

Never Forgotten
When I got my busa last week the dealer (San Mateo Honda/Suzuki) said that its capped at 189, a bit higher than the 03. Does anyone have any info on this? I think Suzuki did this to the ZX-12 guys to regain the top-speed king status. Any thoughts?

184. 2000+ years.

speed restriction does not mean the other guy is faster......... check all the landspeed records.

I thought it was 186? Not sure, just read that sumwheres... Not that it matters much.

eh, I could be off by two. not as far off as the speedo's tho!
laugh.gif

pac-if-busa, the '99 is unrestricted. after that, the manufacturers agreed to limit the speeds...  186 or 184, cant remember. doesnt matter, can be unrestricted in 5 minutes with a 10cent resistor. only for high speed runs tho. unless we must get into the TRE debate again....  
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|cache
Reason for Edit: "DOH!"|1080626446 -->

when i bought the busa i didnt know about the ledgendary speeds, i got it because im 220lbs and 6ft tall and it fit me better than the little bikes. I guess I got lucky. The fastest bike i ever had was a gpz550 back in the 80s (i was 174 then).

No, i dont plan on going above 80 most of the time, just when a vet or something comes by thinking they are king of the road ill have to teach em a lesson, you know what i mean...

mike

mike, you got the fastest production bike in the world. guiness book of world records even has that stat.
you will get to go faster than you WANT!!! have fun, be safe.
wink.gif

The speed to which 2000 (or was it 2001?) and later bikes was limited to is 186mph as agreed upon by the big Jap makers (all of them). This was reported by the media as self imposed to prevent governments from stepping in and imposing their own limits which could set a far reaching bad legal precedent of government control over motorcycle manufacture. So it was nothing more than a conservative PC move for the manufacturers.

Now keep in mind that if one of them has decided not to follow the agreement and raise theirs above 186 there is nothing stopping them except better judgement, but I have not heard of any such thing taking place.

Just a little clarification:

1. 2000 was the year of the 'gentleman's agreement' between the major manufacturers that would limit top speeds to 300 kph or 186 mph.

2. 2001 was the year the restrictions actually became effective. Year 2000 models (be it a 1300 or ZX12R) are NOT restricted.

3. A TRE is nothing more than a way to 're-route' the gear position sensor's signal to tell the ECU that it's always in 5th gear, avoiding 6th gear where the RPMs are limited to limit top speed. This can be done with a simple 2¢ 6.8K-ohm resistor.

NOTE: The TRE was originally made in 1998 for the TLR which introduced FI to Suzuki. Its purpose was to eliminate the timing retard (hence T.R.E.) that was placed by the Suzuki to limit power in gears 1-3 (something to the effect of making them less wheelie-prone).

Ideally, a 4.3V diode should be used on 2001+ models in line with the gear position sensor, rather than bypassing the GPS altogether with a resistor. This will leave the signal alone in gears 1-5 and limit the sensor voltage when in 6th gear. For those with a 2003+, a PCIIIR or a Yosh EMS for the rest of you, and you can 'properly' fix the 1-3 gear timing retard.

cool.gif

Reposted from SH.org... reposted from Fast Sjonny...

4.3v 350 mw zener diode
Digikey Part
BZX84C4V3DICT-ND
$0.44

www.digikey.com
Speedlimiter on 2002 models
When your only problem is the speedlimiter in the 6th gear, the easiest way to bypass it is by using a zener diode wired with the cathode to the pink wire and the anode to ground. You will need a voltage of 4.3volts and 250 mw should work fine. It will leave all gears up to sixth alone. As soon as the bike goes into sixth the diode will clamp the voltage to 4.3 volts so the ecm sees fifth gear selected so no speed limiter.

Again, this is assuming you have a way to map the timing either via a PCIIIR or Yosh EMS. If you don't have one, just use a resistor and keep the wires intact for when you can afford on of those systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back