Bucket list Alaska ride

LC4CARL

Donating Member
Registered
2,300 miles round trip to southern Alaska. If I keep moving, two weeks seems comfortable. Camping would be fun.

IMG_1243-M.png

That looks like a gorgeous ride once you’re north of WA. Some years back I planned to take the long way round and head farther north into Fairbanks and past anchorage south down to Homer then back north into Denali NP and than back home. I’d reviewed the Milepost mag, read and plotted the maps. Never crossed the border but I’ve been to it several times in MT and ID. Do it!

Making camp (fully set up before dark) and then waking at dawn and breaking camp and loading the bike DAILY gets old FAST. Jus sayin

"Milepost" is hard core. Those guys take this seriously.

Thinking early or late in the season. Mosquitos sound awful.

A friend of mine goes out west on a hunting trip about every other year.
He went to Alaska with one of his friends in August about 3 years ago, I 'think' it was the Ankorage area(I'll have to ask him) for a Moose hunt.
He said it was as low as -20°f at night, and as high as 40°-60°f during the day.
lol...I'll pass

Have always dreamed of a ride from Florida to Alaska’s north coast on my DR650. I’m too young to retire and take 2 months to make it a nice and relaxed trip.

Have always dreamed of a ride from Florida to Alaska’s north coast on my DR650. I’m too young to retire and take 2 months to make it a nice and relaxed trip.

To Alaska's north coast up the Haul Road (would) be an adventure....in a JEEP! :D My towing service person told me of a tow they had somewhere north of Fairbanks on the Haul for a Harley pulling a trailer. Said it cost them around $1,500 to send a flatbed to get him. The rider was (very) glad he had towing insurance. I did an 8 state in 10 days tour once. The trip from CA up and back as I outlined would take no more than 2-3 weeks depending. One tour I stayed 3 days at one place, others just an overnight and ride the next day. For me its more the ride instead of the destination. A 'destination' for me is usually a turnaround spot. Had a day delay once having to locate a tire one trip. Shiiite happens sometimes. Overall though, I really like an adventure. You should make time.

I was born in Anchorage, lived in and around Fairbanks for a while, left when I was a kid. About every year I think about planning a trip back, then something else pops up! What ever you do plan for Mosquitoes! They will literally drain you, and leave you for the Wolves! :p

In grade school I read about a family doing the drive back when it was gravel. A rubber mat to protect the fuel tank and guards over the head lights. I was fascinated.

Read Neil Peart's Ghost Rider recently.

My kids have left the nest. I've got like a month of PTO annually. I should do this sooner than later.

After a lifetime of dreaming about it, my in-laws finally took a season and did it in an RV. They loved it.

A roadside assistance membership sounds like a win. Renewed my passport last year. Hmm.

IMG_7652-M.jpg

In grade school I read about a family doing the drive back when it was gravel. A rubber mat to protect the fuel tank and guards over the head lights. I was fascinated.

Read Neil Peart's Ghost Rider recently.

My kids have left the nest. I've got like a month of PTO annually. I should do this sooner than later.

After a lifetime of dreaming about it, my in-laws finally took a season and did it in an RV. They loved it.

A roadside assistance membership sounds like a win. Renewed my passport last year. Hmm.

View attachment 1678077

Type RVRoadhelp in your browser. It should lead you to an Allstate site. See if their coverage is good in Canada. I've only needed them twice but they really came through, all for less than $100 a year. Their deal is, they'll tow (whatever) you're riding or driving to wherever you have to go to get fixed, not just to the nearest town or motel. I was over 100 miles from where I had to go, in another state. They sent a flatbed from Idaho to get me in Atomic City WA. No extra charges.

Go before the mosquitoes have come to life. I was astonished at how horrendous they were. I don't know how or where they survive the winter. But holy heck I thought the south was the worst. Til I met Alaska!

But you gotta do this trip!
There is a retired Florida cop on the advrider forum that has done the trip on a DR650 and other motorcycles and he mentions how bad the mosquitos get. I definitely wouldn’t want anything bigger than a DR650. I’m not sure how you would keep a big GS upright or pick it up loaded if you happen to lose it (assuming you are unharmmed).

Very nice, I'm also planning a trip to Alaska, but will probably be next year. Good luck and have fun.

I took a month for up and back, no plan, no rush, no idea what I was doing. Just point the bike and go. That was half the adventure. Doing that ride in July meant long days too. 10pm in Whitehorse, Yukon & the sun is still high in the sky fools your brain. Just took a sleeping bag & poncho to cover the sleeping bag from the rain, no tent & slept on the ground in most places. Rode in the rain for a week in Canada, that was brutal, the constant rain. Wrote a book about the experience. If i had to do it all over again, I'd do a lot more homework about that to see and where to go up there. Doing the Haul Road was never a plan & I had no interest in the ride up to the Arctic Ocean. Did ride several hundred miles of gravel roads on the Yamaha Venture. Years later, that seems crazy. But at 23, that was just another day on the motorcycle. Jasper National Park was definitely one of the most scenic places I've ever been. The detour to see Jasper NP was well worth it. Covered 10,000 miles & 30 days on the bike.

racing_daylight_pashnit_book_800.jpg

Back