Graduation Trip to Alaska on the Busa

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
I'm throwing around the idea of taking the Busa to Alaska from Oklahoma. LOL, LMAO Google can't even calculate the distance from Ok to AK. Anyone made this trip before cage or bike? What advice can you impart to two young spontaneous hedonists? I figure a months time off work should suffice. A week for traveling each way and roughly two weeks to venture out. What do you guys and gals think?

im thinkin you may wanna plan for more than a week each way. what are your riding habits, how much saddle time are you used to? it can get pretty sore if youre not used to it.

First off- I commend your sense of adventure. If your serious about this, check out the following website:

Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum

Some serious motorcyclists on that forum, from all over the world and you will gain alot of tips and knowledge from that place. Just filter through some of the BS. There is tons of info on going to Canada, how, when, and trip reports.

I would have second thoughts about doing it on a Busa. While it's a fine machine, it's simply not made to handle the rough roads you will encounter. And with no dealerships near by, you will need to learn to patch, plug and change tires on your own. Let alone figure out any potential mechanical issues that may come up. Remember, in Canada, 85% of the population is within 300 miles of the border, and Canada is a huge vast place. your pretty much on your own in terms of parts and service once you get away from the border.

Do your homework, it's not a trip one can do without proper planning and prep.

If you do it, whether you make it or not, it will be a trip of a lifetime and something you will remember for the rest of your days.

They say for folks who have done it, can't do it just once. They find a time and place later in life to do it again.

I'm currently in the middle of planning for a trip myself.

im thinkin you may wanna plan for more than a week each way. what are your riding habits, how much saddle time are you used to? it can get pretty sore if youre not used to it.

500 miles a day wouldn't be hard at all for me BUT doing it for 7 consecutive days is another question. The thing that keeps me going is the sense of freedom, the rush, the interaction between you as the rider and your surroundings. It is something that just doesn't get old to me. A good test will come this next spring when I follow my family back to OK from TN on the Busa. Well not 'following' :whistle::whistle: but ya get what I mean. The longest has been a 6 hour drive. I don't know the mileage as my speedo and odometer don't work but it was 6 hours non stop. Except, for ear plugs. :laugh:

First off- I commend your sense of adventure. If your serious about this, check out the following website:

Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum

Some serious motorcyclists on that forum, from all over the world and you will gain alot of tips and knowledge from that place. Just filter through some of the BS. There is tons of info on going to Canada, how, when, and trip reports.

I would have second thoughts about doing it on a Busa. While it's a fine machine, it's simply not made to handle the rough roads you will encounter. And with no dealerships near by, you will need to learn to patch, plug and change tires on your own. Let alone figure out any potential mechanical issues that may come up. Remember, in Canada, 85% of the population is within 300 miles of the border, and Canada is a huge vast place. your pretty much on your own in terms of parts and service once you get away from the border.

Do your homework, it's not a trip one can do without proper planning and prep.

If you do it, whether you make it or not, it will be a trip of a lifetime and something you will remember for the rest of your days.

They say for folks who have done it, can't do it just once. They find a time and place later in life to do it again.

I'm currently in the middle of planning for a trip myself.

Thanks for the link and the grounding. I just spontaneously mixed two things I really like and figured it would be easy enough. However you bring up good points. I over looked in hasty thinking. I think I'm gonna have to sit on this for awhile and really consider everything. (gear, timing, route, stops, duration of stay) BUT this is something I want to do in my life. Anybody have any real time experience with this route specifically (Alaska to the lower 48)?

i know all about that tenn to okla trip. the 1st time i ever rode my busa was when i picked her up in memphis, and road straight thru to okc.

Alaska will always be there. Do it when you are ready.

Good ol' USA has so much too offer and see, start at home first. Good luck and hope you venture out. It will change your perspective in life, and for the better.

i know all about that tenn to okla trip. the 1st time i ever rode my busa was when i picked her up in memphis, and road straight thru to okc.

yea i make about 2-3 times a years (12-13hrs). Usually straight through. Memphis is the exact opposite side of the state. The drive across Tennessee is the worst! Too friggin long. One road the entire way, I-81 west into I-40. YUCKKK.

Alaska will always be there. Do it when you are ready.

Good ol' USA has so much too offer and see, start at home first. Good luck and hope you venture out. It will change your perspective in life, and for the better.

Completely agree. Perspective being the key word there. :beerchug:

lol try taking the 40 from memphis to flagstaff, or barstow....

I am planning in the august time frame of either 2011 or 2012 to ride from FL to AK doing that IBA trip.

if you have only been in the saddle for 6 hours at a time, i would suggest going on a primer trip. 500 in a day is easy but by day 3 you are going to know what pain is lol or naproxen....

:whistle::laugh: i just went through and read that thread again, now i wanna go to alaska.:laugh:

here i stole some pics. just awesome! who would say no to alaska? it looks amazing. :thumbsup:

tezasbusa.jpg

texas busa.jpg

I have to agree with earlier posts, Busa is not a good choice on gravel roads and competing with semi trucks meeting you at 70mph. You would be lucky to get back with the Busa in the same condition. It can be done, just not the best choice.

I plan to take four weeks and ride Alaska in June 2012. Still a long ways away, but I've had this bug up my a$$ for a long time, have to do Alaska.

I plan to ride it on my Husqvarna TE 610 though, will take five fun days to trailer the bike up from North Carolina, to Anchorage ride the following in Alaska:

•Wrangell- St. Elias National Park
•McCarthy
•Valdez
•Denali Highway
•Thompson Pass
•Matanuska Glacier
•Mt McKinley

The above should take eight to nine days and then trailer back home.
Don't want to do this alone though, will start recruiting around mid next year for folks who are interested and start the planning. With my truck and trailer should be able to haul at least 12 bikes, if they are the size of a Husky.

I plan to ride to Anchorage in 4.5 years when I retire from the military. I will be taking the busa from GA to Anchorage and back in about a month. I plan to enjoy the ride, not do a sprint.

I've driven the Alaska route twice in a cage. Once from SC to Fairbanks and then Fairbanks to MD. Your biggest enemy will be distance between service points if you should need any. Gas stations in some parts are far between so don't try to squeeze every ounce out of the tank or you might end up pushing. It would be very wise for you to plan your stops carefully by measuring the distance from one stop to another. This allows you to break your trip into segments and explore the towns you stop in for a bit. A big plus is you will be doing it in the summer so there will be no shortage of tourists on the road. This might come in handy if you break down and need a lift or help. Alaska is beautiful though and the views in parts of Canada are amazing. Oh, watch out for animals of all types. I've seen wolves, bears, buffalo, goats, and tons of smaller critters darting across the roads.

search for "long way around" the around the world trip w/ ewan mcgregor. I saw a few episodes and I think they came down from alaska to canada and ended up in NY. i might be wrong but i think that's the route they took. +1 on choosing a different bike man, look at that texas themed one in that pic... I don't want my ride lookin like that:laugh: maybe on a bmw1200 or like the Husky (that would be fun:whistle:)

You said two, assuming your wife or girlfriend on the back(or even on her own bike). It doesn't matter what you can handle. Can she handle that?! You better make sure, if not, you'll be turning around or dropping her at the airport.:poke::laugh:
I wouldn't even consider it unless it was on a Goldwing.:laugh:

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh where to start................First thing: pick up a recent copy of the Milepost. That "book" has EVERYTHING you will want to know about the AlCan. I've made the trip several times but only once half way with a bike and for the first trip or two it will be your bible. When you get to Anchorage, I'd LOVE to ferry on over and ride back with ya then turn around in BC or Washington and come back. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have but a lot of it has been covered here. If you're gonna do it, plan to be able to take you time as there are a lot of wonderful places to see and experience. I have found Canadians VERY nice and helpful and be prepared to explain what you are doing at the boarder, have your passport, and be able to show them you are capable of buying your own food and stuff (no booze or guns hiding in the trunk LOL) Sometimes you get a cool person at the boarder that'll just shake their head and say "Have fun" but there is always the possibility you'll get "That Guy". Hell, I live here and I'm stoked for your trip!!!!!

Rio

Back