Long trips on the busa?

Two

Banned
I feel like doing something i never did before and take a long trip on my busa this summer.
How many hours have you done on your busa in one day?
Could I have some tips from you folks in taking looong trips on the busa? Thanks guys and gals.

I have been on the bike for about 12 hours in a 24 hour period. Although, if you are not in some turns to move around a bit, then your time will greatly decrease.

I've done 1,144 miles in a little over 21 hours. Like what Black Sheep said, with the right seat, you'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1067 miles in 19 hours. Stock seat.

Here are my tips for long distance touring. I've done multiple 600 plus mile days, 2000 plus mile weeks, and an Iron Butt SS1000 on the Hayabusa.

Modifications to the Busa: TL1000 pegs for more leg room, AudioVox Cruise Control so I can rest the throttle hand, Puig double bubble screen for better wind protection, +1 front sprocket for reduced vibration and better MPG.

1. You should work your way up to it. There are ways to build up your endurance, but it requires lots of riding. Seat time is the best way to increase your riding distances. I know, I know, it's a sacrifice

2. Earplugs! I can't stress earplugs enough. The constant wind noise, and engine noise will wear you down. Not to mention the damage to your hearing.

3. Hydration is VERY important. Make sure you are hydrated before leaving, otherwise anything you do on the road is just playing catch-up. If you can stand wearing a small backpack while riding, I'd suggest getting a Camelbak, and learn how to drink from it on the move. It's not too hard to get the bite valve up between the chinbar of the helmet and your chin. Getting dehydrated will seriously tire you out, and you'll be taking alot of extra time at gas stops if your trying to rehydrate standing still. I drink about a liter of water per tank of gas. Slamming a redbull at each gas stop won't keep you hydrated on a long ride.

4. Compression shorts (aka bikecycle shorts under your leathers) believe it or not these can reduce saddlesore a great deal.

5. Do not rely on pills and caffine to get you through. A regiment of aspirin or Ibuprofin can mask the damage your doing to yourself.

6. Meals should not be huge, but modest in size. So no double quarter pounders and fries for lunch. Too much food will cause what some of us call 'food coma' not a good thing to go into while trying to ride. But don't try to exist on Powerbars and Gatorade. Eat sensibly.

7. Something as simple as a Throttle rocker (less than $20), can help exend your range. A cruise control of some type is better, but they're more expensive and depending on what you get can take some adjusting to get right.

Here are my tips for long distance touring. I've done multiple 600 plus mile days, 2000 plus mile weeks, and an Iron Butt SS1000 on the Hayabusa.

Modifications to the Busa: TL1000 pegs for more leg room, AudioVox Cruise Control so I can rest the throttle hand, Puig double bubble screen for better wind protection, +1 front sprocket for reduced vibration and better MPG.

1. You should work your way up to it. There are ways to build up your endurance, but it requires lots of riding. Seat time is the best way to increase your riding distances. I know, I know, it's a sacrifice

2. Earplugs! I can't stress earplugs enough. The constant wind noise, and engine noise will wear you down. Not to mention the damage to your hearing.

3. Hydration is VERY important. Make sure you are hydrated before leaving, otherwise anything you do on the road is just playing catch-up. If you can stand wearing a small backpack while riding, I'd suggest getting a Camelbak, and learn how to drink from it on the move. It's not too hard to get the bite valve up between the chinbar of the helmet and your chin. Getting dehydrated will seriously tire you out, and you'll be taking alot of extra time at gas stops if your trying to rehydrate standing still. I drink about a liter of water per tank of gas. Slamming a redbull at each gas stop won't keep you hydrated on a long ride.

4. Compression shorts (aka bikecycle shorts under your leathers) believe it or not these can reduce saddlesore a great deal.

5. Do not rely on pills and caffine to get you through. A regiment of aspirin or Ibuprofin can mask the damage your doing to yourself.

6. Meals should not be huge, but modest in size. So no double quarter pounders and fries for lunch. Too much food will cause what some of us call 'food coma' not a good thing to go into while trying to ride. But don't try to exist on Powerbars and Gatorade. Eat sensibly.

7. Something as simple as a Throttle rocker (less than $20), can help exend your range. A cruise control of some type is better, but they're more expensive and depending on what you get can take some adjusting to get right.

all very good tips :thumbsup:

last summer i went 1244 miles in 21.25 hours---stock seat, no throttle lock, stock pegs fit me fine at 5'8"----dallas, tx to cody, wyo---- on the way to Busa Stampede in Reno. I was 60 at the time, older now but not wiser, plan to go again this summer. :cheerleader:

Nice write up, thanks:thumbsup:

Last year I did 5000kms in 7 days on my way to a Pashnit Tour. An average of over 700kms/day. A good seat, Corbin, and a cruise control, CCS100, made it no problem. The total mileage for the trip was over 9000kms. Oh, and don't forget a GPS.

From home to Daphne LA @ 1K, next day from Daphne to Orange Beach Fl, some riding, Back home. I'm an old man and I was riding with a guy about 10 years my senior on most of that one. He had about the same distance out of Tn.

The Busa is good on trips and there's always the benefit of Busa time :whistle:

If you have a choice, stay away from an all day slab ride. Seat time can be measured in miles or hours. 8 hours of twisties will break you down mentally, 8 hours of slab will hurt physically. I'm a firm believer in carrying the mini cans of Starbucks cold coffee when I tour. Being tired after a meal will be tragic. A camera will force you to relax and enjoy the ride. Taking pictures and telling a good story will fun for all your family and friends. Good luck.

the trick to the long haul is mindset. you need to be mentally ready for a long trip. in order to be able to ride a long way you should build up your riding muscles. go on some longish rides before your "trip". i drink water and Gatorade, and eat snacks while im rollin. i also eat peanut butter & cheese crackers and drink a V8 at every gas stop. it helps keep the energy up.
i enjoy living on the bike for extended periods of time. :thumbsup: just freakin love it! it bonds man and machine. forces the smell of nature right up your nostrils. after the 3rd or 4th day, you begin to realize it's just you, your bike, and the thoughts in your head.
don't forgit your flat fix kit:rulez: they can come in handy.
here's my last epic trip.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...31146-casper-keys-back-travel-log-w-pics.html

After doing 4200 miles in 7 days the first day was 1150 miles, after the first 500 miles was over it seemed to get easier for some reason. Maybe the fact that you get so relaxed in you seat. Great write up by busawhipped. Cruise is a must, bluetooth headset is a must. When I had some long hwy stretches I would call the wife and talk. Maybe listen to some music. And for sure a gps.Also make sure you very comfortable in ur gear. Your gonna be in it alot.Dont forget the sunglasses. I always carry a small bottle of glass cleaner cause I hate a dirty visor and u will get alot of bugs. Do the trip. It is something you will never forget. I dont regret it one bit.

I've done 1,277 miles in 23 hr 47 min. , but my suggestion for you is to schedule no more than 400 to 450 miles per day. Even on an interstate that would be 8 to 9 hours of riding for most people. And with a day after day trip, believe me, 350 to 450 is enough for 99 per cent of those who try.

Most important is that your COMFORTABLE. That means starting with your hands and wrist (I use helibars), going down to your BUTT ( you need a comfortable and SECURE seat that allows some movement but still keeps you from sliding or moving while traveling) and last but not least, your leg positions (as in rear sets, or different pegs (what I do). You'll also need ear protection (NOISE (as in wind), will make you really tired really quick), comfortable gear and a helmet that fits (meaning it doesn't feel like it's being pulled off your head at speed).

Know where your fuel stops are and when fueling the bike, DRINK WATER whether or not you think you need it. BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED WATER. Gadoraide is OK for every other stop (to replenish electrolytes) but you need WATER.

And above all, ENJOY THE TRIP :cheerleader:

Back