Brother was in a serious accident.

Lyrikz

Registered
Well, back on april 22nd my brother crashed my wifes brand new ex 250 ninja. He was doing right around 35mph around a corner and has been in ICU for 12 days now... WITH ALL Gear on.. I will have pics, video, and complete explanation once he is up and running.. It was pretty bad. Yes BULLETTRAIN, the same ninja i just got for my wife with that cute butt picture.
Anyways.. I had insurance with progressive, but since my brother was on the bike, i thought they wouldnt cover it.. Well, they are covering it and they are just basically covering it 100% since the bike was so new and only has 100 miles on it..
My questions are
1) does anyone want to buy this thing?? Motor is still perfect, frame is bent, but everything internal wise is golden still.
2) whats it worth? ALl plastics are gone, tank has 2 dings, cluster is broke. Frame is tweaked..
3) and also, is progressive just going to GET me a new 2004 ninja, or are they just going to pay off my loan???

ANOTHER question. Do insuance companies pay for the GEAR also?? He was wearing my Helmet and gloves.. Trash now...

Update on the kid. Yesterday he got his tube out of his throat. He will make a full recovery, minus the mental trauma of missing 3 weeks of his life and the huge 20 some odd inch scars on his body. I will have the full story once i get pics.. I have been at the hospital most of the time.

holy poop!!!! jesus man thank god he's alve man i cant help on the insurance side but at least your fam is still alive

Sorry about your brother Lyrikz..........................that sucks!
Gives us a reality check on invincibility in leathers!!!! Did he hit anything or just go down and tumble?
sad.gif

Damn, sorry to hear this bro....Most insurance companies will either declare the bike totaled or repair it. They wont just pay off your loan. If they are covering it 100% they will give you the blue book value of your bike. Not a penny more. So if it depreciated at all, that the $ amount they will give you. Sorry thats the only quetion that I can help you with.

Prays are with you and your brother..

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother Lyrikz...I'm glad he's going to be okay...thoughts of a speedy recovery for him...

I don't know about the insurance questions, but I am surprised they covered it with a non-policy holder on the bike...I'm glad they did...

Damn, sorry to hear this bro....Most insurance companies will either declare the bike totaled or repair it. They wont just pay off your loan. If they are covering it 100% they will give you the blue book value of your bike. Not a penny more. So if it depreciated at all, that the $ amount they will give you. Sorry thats the only quetion that I can help you with.

Prays are with you and your brother..
Thanks for the quick replies. Most of his trauma was caused when he hit the ground.. he was doing 35mh and washed out the front.. the impact alone of his chest hitting the ground severely bruised his lungs and heart, then as he slid off the road he landed in these two trees... rupturing his spleen and breaking his back in two spots... 35mph people...

I will have the whole story later with pics and a little video of the road and landing spot we were on.

The insurance company is paying the ike 100% since its basically brand new.. But i wanted to know what they do about the gear thats gone... If anywthing.

Glad to hear your brother will make a full recovery. I don't know about the gear. If they pay off the loan, you had better hope you have gap insurance to pay off the interest. I would ask for another bike. You both are lucky they are covering him. If they let you have the bike after it is totaled. I have no idea what the motor is worth. It is likely that there is internal damage to it. I am interested in buying it if the price is cool. May be worth the risk of it having damage. Good luck with everything and sorry about your brother.

I hope he makes a fast recovery. As for the gear, a friend of mine wrecked last year and his ins. covered his helmet and maybe his gear. (I can't remember)

My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery!  
cool.gif
OK. Thanks guys. Tonight im going to post the full story up...

As for the insurance.. They do cover the gear.. Only problem is i dont have receipts for my helmet and the gloves. The helmet was a New HJC Cl 14 or cl12.. Cant remember.. I have it at home. I basically fa her the receipt and then take the gear in for them to look at... I just dont keep those kinds of receipts ya know.. poop... ANybody have a receipt for a set of joe rocket gloves, dont really matter the cost, and a HJC helmet???

Glad to hear your brother will make a full recovery, but sorry to hear about the accident! Don't know what else to say except sorry 'bro!

My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery!  
cool.gif
OK.  Thanks guys.  Tonight im going to post the full story up...

As for the insurance.. They do cover the gear.. Only problem is i dont have receipts for my helmet and the gloves.  The helmet was a New HJC Cl 14 or cl12.. Cant remember.. I have it at home.  I basically fa her the receipt and then take the gear in for them to look at... I just dont keep those kinds of receipts ya know.. poop... ANybody have a receipt for a set of joe rocket gloves, dont really matter the cost, and a HJC helmet???
Sorry to hear about your brother Lyrikz -

I would just take pictures of the damaged gear that shows the model. And then produce a price quote from the company as to the cost of replacement for identical gear.

I would think that should be good enough.

When you have a car accident, I have never heard of them asking for a receipt for the purchase of the vehicle.

Yeah funny think about motorcycle accidents (not that there funny or anything.. but) I knew a guy that came down a mountain road, full gear, front tire blow out at 110mph.

His body tore THROUGH a chain link fence. and his bike went through the same chain link fence 50 yards down the road.

He came out of it with a few breaks in his hands and that was it.

We had another friend of ours within a few months of that, was doing about 30 - 35mph down a street, lost it turning a corner on some wet pavement, broke his jaw, and he was wearing a full face helmet.

As I have always said, when it is your time it is your time.

But I am still going to wear all the gear I can.

Sorry I don't know anything about the insurance side of this topic. Glad to hear you brother is alive and doing better. My prayers for a speedy recovery.

Wow...another one!
mad.gif

I reallly wish him the best on his recovery. Will have him in my prayers along with Nova's recovery!

Glad to hear he will make a full recovery.
Ins. company will only pay blue book value, you'll still have to pay off the rest of the loan--unless you have gap insurance. Don't know about the gear, it varies from company to company.
Hopefully you can sell what's left of the bike to payoff the loan and buy new gear!!

Insurance follows the driver first and then the vehicle... If your bro has insurance, you may want him to use his so your premiums don't go up... His insurance company should cover the bike as well... (That is what I would do if I were you...)

Most insurnace companies will not cover medical unless explicity bought. (I know most of you probably don't know this, so check your insurnace before you talk poop...) Your health insurance usually is the one to pay for medical on a motorcycle... (I would even check this because some health insurance companies won't cover moto accidents under regular coverage...Yes, this means there are plenty of motorcyclists driving with no health insurance and don't even know it... !)

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083788246 -->

Insurance follows the driver first and then the vehicle... If your bro has insurance, you may want him to use his so your premiums don't go up... His insurance company should cover the bike as well... (That is what I would do if I were you...)

Most insurnace companies will not cover medical unless explicity bought. (I know most of you probably don't know this, so check your insurnace before you talk poop...) Your health insurance usually is the one to pay for medical on a motorcycle... (I would even check this because some health insurance companies won't cover moto accidents under regular coverage...Yes, this means there are plenty of motorcyclists driving with no health insurance and don't even know it... !)

Cloud
Cloud 9, your correct.. Motorcycle insurance doesnt cover medical unless you purchase that coverage. My brothers medical isnt covering the bike.. He kinda lucked out.. His aflack policy JUST started.. He has 3 different policeies with them, PLUS full coverage medical insurance.. He will be gettin a pretty big check from aflack.

Glad your brother survived... AndI will keep him in my prayers!

35mph crash what did he hit???

Also if the insurance pays off the bike the bike will belong to the insurance company unless you buy it back from them.

Back