Close Friend (Young Airman USAF)

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Tyson was geared up and traveling down the city street here in Colorado Springs.  Lady may have been on a cell phone waited until he was right on her and she pulled out from a side street in front of him. He locked the little Ninja 250 down and took the pavement but did not hit her.  Rolled and tumbled and damaged both knees and his back is hurting and a poping in his hip and as well his neck is soar.  He was took to the hospital and exrayed his knees and shoulder but not his spine and such.  Now, he is covered by progressive and so was the lady that caused and the wreck for failure to yeald.  Bike had only 2000 miles on it for they are military and had it in storage for a while.  Bike is mint condition.  He has been contacted this morning and progressive offered $2200 and of course want to see his gear and will need receipts.  I would think that since progressive is going to be against progressive they will not be working in this case for the best interest of the member.  I would think not to sign a release for the injurys could be some that are unforseen at this time.  Any inputs as to how to get the most out of a mint condition bike!  They totaled it.  Thoughts please for those that have been there and done that!

Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad he is still around to talk about it. Dont think your going to get anymore out of the insurance company than that. Unless the Ninja 250's have changed, i thought they were only $3000 msrp?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad he is still around to talk about it. Dont think your going to get anymore out of the insurance company than that.  Unless the Ninja 250's have changed, i thought they were only $3000 msrp?
Indication was they paid approx $3500 and I guess over the three years they may be a very fair offer.

may be a fair price for the bike, but not for bike and injuries. are they paying all medical bills? what about pain and suffering?

like said above,may be good payoff on bike but not injuries,,,took me 4yrs to settle on a car accident,they offered 5k upfront,said no and waited it out...6 figure settlement in the end..but i'd give it all back if I didnt have to live with the nagging back problems (torn and herniated discs..sucks)

Goodluck to him,glad he survived

My thoughts exactly. If he is already having probs with pain and hip poping then he should not sign a release and make them wait a few weeks so he can see how he is after the initial pain should have healed. Then if needed get additional treatment/diagnosis. Good inputs guys! Thanks much

The worst of it will be all of the damned safety paperwork and scrutiny his chain of command will focus on him.. Good luck.

like said above,may be good payoff on bike but not injuries,,,took me 4yrs to settle on a car accident,they offered  5k upfront,said no and waited it out...6 figure settlement in the end..but i'd give it all back if I didnt have to live with the nagging back problems (torn and herniated discs..sucks)

Goodluck to him,glad he survived
Its better to live that stuff with six figures vs. with 5k only i am sure though...

He may need to get an attorney. I hate to recommend that anyone get an attorney involved unnecessarily but . . . .

At the very least, if they try to get a signed release, maybe a statement of, "Let me have my attorney review this before I sign," will sometimes make some miracles happen.

Wish him luck for me.

--Wag--

Hope he gets well soon!
thumb_up.gif

He may need to get an attorney.  I hate to recommend that anyone get an attorney involved unnecessarily but . . . .

At the very least, if they try to get a signed release, maybe a statement of, "Let me have my attorney review this before I sign," will sometimes make some miracles happen.

Wish him luck for me.

--Wag--
Thanks WAG... will not hurt to hold them off with that comment and at least wait till he is sure his hip and knees/kneck are all AOK!

If he is in the Air Force, he better have worn a DOT approved helmet, full fingered gloves, boots or shoes that cover the ankle, eye protection, shirt or jacket that covers to the wrists and reflective or highly contrasting colors...otherwise he may have to cover his own medical costs. I bought my wife's 250 several months ago brand new for $2800 OTD. Take $2200 for the bike. If he is covered by military insurance, Progressive knows this and will hold out as much as possible. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry to much about the military not covering the rider for medical costs. I've not seen them not cover a rider yet that went down under normal circumstances. now if he was acting a fool or under the influence then all bets are off for coverage.

Tricare takes care of me and I'm a vet. He might get yelled at by his 1st Sgt and Commander at most. Glad he's okay
beerchug.gif

Back