broken ignition wire

motjoo

Registered
Hi,

Last week I noticed the ignition cutting out when moving handle bars fully left and right. It got worse and worse till in the end the engine would cut out at the slightest movement of the bars.
I had the bike (K8 by the way) picked up by the dealer and it turned out to be
a broken ignition cable.
In respect of the general recall some time ago concerning this issue I am wondering if any of you had a simular experience.
Thank god this did not happen while driving.
According the the dealer it was unrelated to the issue of the recall because it was very close the the ignition lock, not further down on the cable harness.

The recall was because the harness was not secured correctly...and when you turn the bars it would put stress on the wiring to the back of the ignition switch.

If the dealer doesn't want to warranty...DEMAND that they call Suzuki of North America!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

The recall was related to the wire harness coming off the back of the ignition switch. This harness gets bundled with two other harnesses and the three are connected together few inches away from the switch and form like a triangular grouping. The orientation of the three harnesses to each other in that bundle and what order they are in or way they are grouped together is critical andmakes all the difference as to whether or not there is enough slack in the harness so as to not pull on the wires at the ignition switch when the bars are turned from full lock left to full lock right. If the three harnesses were not grouped in the right order then the shop was suppose to put them in the right order and make sure the little metal clamp that holds the harness in place was holding it at the correct spot. The harness is slightly reinforced or has an extra layer at the clamping point. So if the clamp didn't match up with that exact spot on the harness then you knew the harness was probably not oriented properly were the three are grouped together. Once the three were in the right order then the reinforced area lined up with the clamp and no more pulling the wires on the ign switch. I think the switches were changed just in case they had gotten damaged from the pulling. That original recall had more to do with the harness being routed and properly installed than the switch and if the dealer just put a new switch in and didn't check the harness routing then that could be a problem. We all might want to revisit this recall and check to see if it was done completely and correctly.

Back