Brocks map or ECU flash

Delgado

Formerly known as KAI
Registered
I just recently installed a new exhaust system and planned on getting the ECU flashed. After I got home from work, Brock sent me an email telling me about their free map support (I guess I must of told him about wanting to get it tuned in a previous email) and told me I would be better off going this route. I don't have a power commander, and I assume I would need a TRE as well since I don't have that either but, what I do have is the $8 harness from smithabusa which, from what I understand, would eliminate the need for both of those items once I got it flashed (right?). And fortunately for me, there is a shop that is about 1-1.5 hours away that does ECU work so, I'm definitely leaning more towards the ECU flash route. I was just wondering what do you all think is better?

I dont know.??? But I did just ordered and brock exhaust and power commander. So I will be watching for answers. :laugh:

I have the brocks exhaust and pc usb and I have there maps which they do alot of r & d on. ecu might be better but I do not fully understand that and the simple route is the pc usb plug and play. I am afraid of blowing up my bike or hurting it.... just my 2 cents

ecu route and have it custom maped. better yet is learn how to program it yourself and get a data loger so you can custom map it on the track. then it will be perfectly maped in real world conditions and can tune it for different conditions/fuel. I make small tweaks to mine all the time to keep it runing perfect. believe it or not the bike's a/f makes small changes with differeing weather conditions and different pump gas. some times I will have it at 13.3 a/f and put some new/different pump gas in at the track and the a/f can change .1 to .3 when I put the different gas in and I always get the same gas from the same gas station. Can't figure it out, but it happens.
Don't rely on a map from any one else. no matter what any ones says I have never seen a downloaded map work perfect in a bike.
I got my ecu map from some one that had pretty much the exact same bike tuned by ryan schnitz and the map was off a decent amount. gsxr 1000 short stacks, bmc race air filter, and brocks alien head. the majority of my 100% tps a/f was 12.7. I try to keep it tuned to 13.2-13.4.

ecu route and have it custom maped. better yet is learn how to program it yourself and get a data loger so you can custom map it on the track. then it will be perfectly maped in real world conditions and can tune it for different conditions/fuel. I make small tweaks to mine all the time to keep it runing perfect. believe it or not the bike's a/f makes small changes with differeing weather conditions and different pump gas. some times I will have it at 13.3 a/f and put some new/different pump gas in at the track and the a/f can change .1 to .3 when I put the different gas in and I always get the same gas from the same gas station. Can't figure it out, but it happens.
Don't rely on a map from any one else. no matter what any ones says I have never seen a downloaded map work perfect in a bike.
I got my ecu map from some one that had pretty much the exact same bike tuned by ryan schnitz and the map was off a decent amount. gsxr 1000 short stacks, bmc race air filter, and brocks alien head. the majority of my 100% tps a/f was 12.7. I try to keep it tuned to 13.2-13.4.

Yea I'd love to know how to do this stuff on my own. Unfortunately, I don't know a dang thing about any of it. Maybe I'll get a chance to read up on this stuff in the future sometime.

Thanks for the responses guys.

**Oh yea dumb question but, I bought new sprockets (front/rear) and was wondering if I should wait until I install those first before I get it tuned. Tuning is more of an engine performance thing right? I wouldn't need to worry about the sprockets changing anything

Last edited:
Have Brocks send you the files for a Bazzaz instead of Power Commander. Then have the shop use the BZ maps as a starting point for your tune. Brocks put a lot of time into their maps and they work well, they just don't offer ECU flash maps.

The BZ maps will convert to the ECU flash files much better than the PC maps will.

Whichever you decide, DO NOT USE A TRE ON A GEN-II... :beerchug:

why not ???

and question...: when i put some other exhaust, i am looking for full sys. what will happen if i dont put power comm. or that ECU thing ?! will bike lose power F1 will turn on ?! what

thx

Flash the ECU and ditch the power commander. Is this a GENI or GENII?Also if u flash the ECU you wont need the speed restrictor and tre . I use the ecu flash for street and for drag racing and havnt blown anything up (yet:laugh:) :laugh: PC maps can be converted into ecu editor ,but depending on the map and how the tuner did the map it will only control 1 set of injectors( on the GEN II bikes), The ecu editor program is easy to use. Go to Boostbysmith.com and view his tutorials on this. :thumbsup:

Whatever you do with your fuel mapping when you tweak it with whatever tool you have (ECU, Power Commander, etc), don´t leave the map to guesswork or somebody else´s map.

It will not ruin your engine in the sense of wrecking, although in extreme lean conditions you can blow a piston - however, there is such enormous room for improvement over stock mapping (universal mapping for unknown atmospheric pressure is what they give you stock so your bike will certainly work no matter where your Busa is in the world).

I´ve seen a lot of people trust tuners that know nothing about proper fuel mapping as they are only familiar with devices that do it like Power Commander, Bazzaz or Rapid Bike - none of these devices have the capacity to true fuel mapping, only to intercept ECU commands to the FI and change values - they are not accurate and their resolution is nowhere near the efficiency of ECU mapping directly, over a dyno that can tell you right away how much the power curve is being optimized.

Definitely go for ECU mapping as it is a direct fuel map change on all cylinders, just do not forget to have it dynoned and tuned properly, even with Brock´s map. Brock´s, even though it is one million times better than stock mapping, it is still somewhat generic for atmospheric pressure, as he wouldn´t know where everyone´s Busa will be located in the map.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. What is the average price of getting your bike's ecu flashed? I'm currently trying to get into contact with walter spouts from jacksonville but, I think he has been a tab bit busy lately. And also, has anyone here ever used his services before? I think he used to be in Arizona if I'm not mistaken.

generally speaking ecu flashing tune would be a little more expensive than just power commander as it does require more time as there are more places to tune etc.

Thanks guys. What is the average price of getting your bike's ecu flashed? I'm currently trying to get into contact with walter spouts from jacksonville but, I think he has been a tab bit busy lately. And also, has anyone here ever used his services before? I think he used to be in Arizona if I'm not mistaken.

Mine cost me $225.00 @ Stedman Motorsports, Jay is the Bomb! :thumbsup:

Back