Bringing dad in for Lasik this morning

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, dad has decided at 55 he needs Lasik , so this morning he's getting it done. I guess it only takes about 1 1/2 hours. I hope it works out for him, but sorta nervous when people start messing with eyes.

Has anyone went through this , and how long of a recovery should he expect. Guess Im more nervous than him than he is about the whole thing...just dont want them to say he was that .001% that stuff went wrong..but they figgured out what they did wrong on him and wont make the same goof on someone else...thanks for comming, that will be $2700.00 please.

Everyone around here is getting it done with ZERO complications, he MUST follow the doc's after care instructions. He'll be glad he had it done.

Robb

I know several who have had it done with great results. Just follow the directions for recovery and he should be fine.

David

I have had it done follow the directions and DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES made that mistake must have done in my sleep scratched my cornia hurt for awhile and was not fun. Might be sensitive to light for a while and the wind will also so watch out for debris but seems to be worth it so far.
cool.gif

good input, warming up Jeep & gonna be taking him in for the eye thing in about 20 minutes....Brrr its cold outside.
cool.gif

I have friends that have had it done... and they are extremely happy... I went to a couple of places for the pre interview... One said he could do it the same week... While the other said I would need to wait 3 months because I wear contact lenses 24 hours a day... Watch out for the ones who just want your money! Stick with the well known doctors. I plan on getting it in the next few years... or develop some type of sonar system to get around because I'm blind as a bat
tounge.gif
Good luck and post an update...

Hubby's been hounding me to do this, but I just can't commit...

I have two close friends that did have it done, and they had no problems and absolutely no regrets...

Let us know how Dad does...good luck to him!
smile.gif

Got it done on last april. Op takes 20 minutes, eyes are uncomfortable for a day or so and follow every single direction and don't scratch for a month or more. He will see much better but ther will be some night glare for a long time. Also don't force reading for quite a while and got to retina specialits in a few months. Op stretches the retina and need to be checked every once in a while.:D

I had it done three years ago and have absolutely no regrets. My eyes dry out at night but other than that I have no problems. I keep the tears beside my bed and put in a couple drops every time I wake up. I shoot hipower rifle competition and love being able to see the target well. I think he'll love it. I told my wife, I may be blind in the morning but I was going through with it. I've worn glasses for 40 years and decided that was enough. I still wear them for reading but I see fine for distance now. Good luck to your dad.

Dan

Let us know how it turns out. I have been thinking about getting it done for afew years now...still can't get nerve to to it.

If you really want to get scared go to surgicaleyes.org and read their horror stories. The people that have bad results are ashamed to tell for some reason I don't quite understand. But there is a lot of good info there.

Well we just got back...He is wearing his Terminator glasses
laugh.gif
He was in and out in under 2 hours. Dr. said it went great, and his vision is a little blury right now, but says his eyes dont have the "Built up pressure" hes been dealing with for years, and can already notice a difference. I will pass along all the tips you all kindly suggested, and if all works out well I might think about getting it done. Just freaks me out thinking about the "what If's" ....I dont wanna be blind...I would cause alot of accidents on the Busa with no vision.
tounge.gif

Thanks again everyone...much appreciated

I had it done in 2000 and had excellent results. The methods now I hear are so much better than the "primitive" corneal flap way. I highly recommend it.

I had it done in 2000 and had excellent results.  The methods now I hear are so much better than the "primitive" corneal flap way.  I highly recommend it.
Did they used to NOT use lasers Warren? I've seen the surgery on TV (thanks to TLC) and they cut back the flap and used a laser to redefine the surface of the eye...how was the process years ago? Just slicing away at the eye?
rock.gif

I'd love to toss the contacts...but, I'm nervous...
blush.gif

that was wicked to watch....my wife getting the flap cut..then flipped..the laser running...then flip the flap back...smooth out the air....etc.
most brutal part I think is the prongs the pry the eys open with.

did you watch the TV screen while they procedure went on?
tounge.gif

I've been thinking about it, especially after breaking my glasses last week. Just paid out £320 smackers for a new pair with thin lenses
sad.gif

Did I hear right somewhere that they laser you're eye so that you still have a slight prescription - to say -0.5 or -0.25 or something?

I must say, I've worn glasses for 20 years, kinda got used to them, but I just find them a pain for sports.

Valium,

Glad to hear it went well. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. His vision should steadily improve over the next few days, to a few weeks.

Michelle,

It all depends on why you need lenses. My vision is slightly near-sighted (20/50 uncorrected), but I have a wicked astigmatism that puts me at 20/200 uncorrected in both eyes. The astigmatism in both eyes is different, so contacts are a real bear to get right. It usually take 6 or 7 different lenses to find the right one for each eye.

I have spoken to several doctors to find my best option, and everyone told me RK. A few said "Don't do LASIKS". The reasoning was that they can correct my astimatism or my near sightedness, but not both. So 20/20 with blurry edges everywhere, or clear vision at 20/50 to 20/60.

Get a few different opinions from a clinic that do several types of corrective surgery before you commit to it.

beerchug.gif

Back