Brighter headlights?

G

Any idea how to remove the blue flakes from inside the low beam housing? I'm thinking of trying a shop vac with modified attachment to fit in the bulb receptacle.

So do we know of anybody that just makes a single filament 80w replacement bulb? I don't want the blue ones or any other color than white. Just mainly want the low beam to be brighter.

Well - these are 80 or 85 watt low beams and they are white. (after the blue filter falls off :)) I left the low beam in - works pretty good but not much whiter in color than stock. You can find the clear bulbs for sell from the same retailers.

Let me preface this by saying, I don't know what I'm talking about. I read this somewhere and it sounded right to me so I'm relaying it to all of you.

First of all my understanding is that the hyperwhite bulbs make a blue light because they are brighter than standard bulbs, not because they have a blue plastic coating. If you have a bulb with a blue coating, it's a fake. While it will produce a blue light, it is a not a hyperwhite light. In fact the blue paint will block some of it's output thereby lowering its power, not increasing it. The analogy I was given was a propane torch. When you light a torch the farthest from the source flame is yellow, like a std bulb's light. The flame closest to the source is blue, and is hotter, like a hyperwhite bulb. If you've ever used an oxyacetylene torch you'll know that the hotter you make the flame the brighter the flame gets. When it's really cranked up, the light it puts off is blinding.

Again, this isn't gospel. I heard this story and it seemed reasonable. If I'm wrong speak up.

All that said, Lyle, if you get on Trindle and head toward Carlisle as you are leaving Mechanicsburg you'll pass the Four Wheel Drive Shop across from Mechanicsburg Sportscar something or other. Know where I mean? There where Trindle and the road that runs parallel to it merge together at the grocery store, near NAPA. I had a buddy who was into brighter head lights in his car. He got an H4 conversion kit for his car. Then he could run motorcycle headlight bulbs in his car. At the 4WD shop they sold 130 watt H4 PIAA bulbs for $35 (or so). While 130 watts may overload your wiring 100 might be OK. You could even wire up a relay to handle the 130 or bigger bulbs. After the big conversion my buddy thought it was a lot brighter, I wasn't impressed.

Newholland? There by F&L fittings and the Police station?

Jamie

I'm glad were re-visiting this issue. I am under the impression that a true gas zenon system cannot be obtained for less than a thousand. To worsen matters more, the install is tricky and its actually a conversion kit. I personally ride with both beams on always and am very impressed with the stock lighting, especially the magnified projector on the bottom. When both of these are fired at night people tend to notice, just what I want. Still I would love to have the HID system, just not bad enough to drop that grand.

You can replace both your high beam and low beam with true xenon HID bulbs for $710, if you send the company your headlight assembly they will do the conversion for you. If anyone is interested let me know, I am trying to get them to give a group deal.

i to have had the blue flake problem with the hyperwhites two times i sent the bulbs back i have piaa platinum bulbs in my 916 and they work great.the place i purchaced the hyperwhites from don`t have piaa h7 bulb yet.

ray

Let me save you some reading at that site.

"
I FOUND BLUE-TINTED HALOGEN BULBS AT MY LOCAL RETAIL AUTO PARTS STORE. THE BULBS WERE MARKED AS BEING DOT APPROVED. ARE THESE OK?

No. This marking is fraudulent for two reasons:
•There is no such thing as "DOT approved". DOT does not "approve" products as the European regulatory body does.
•Semantic questions aside, the relevant regulations (US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 108 and 108.1, and ECE Regulations 5, 6, 8, 20 and 37, all call for "white" light, defined as discussed above, so the statement of DOT compliance itself is false.

THEN WHY ARE SO MANY MOTORISTS USING THE ILLEGAL BLUE BULBS IF THEY'RE SO BAD?

There are several reasons I have learned by talking to users of these bulbs:

•Because they have been confused by marketing claims for the blue bulbs which falsely and incorrectly equate the blue bulbs' performance with the very expensive arc-discharge headlamps found on top-line luxury cars. They have been led to believe that by replacing their car's proper headlamp bulbs with the blue-coated bulbs, their headlamps' performance will be increased. In fact, quite the opposite is true; their headlamps' performance is decreased by the use of blue bulbs.

The placebo effect is alive and well, however, and the motorist who pays $35 or more for a set of these bulbs often will continue to insist that his headlamps have been made "better". Some motorists have continued to insist that the blue bulbs' performance was better, even when the low emitted-light values are shown to them on a non-chromosensitive light meter in comparison to the readings from proper non-blue bulbs.
2) Because they believe that the blue light makes their car look "cool". This would fall into the same category as the dark plastic headlamp and taillamp covers that are snapped-up by certain drivers for their appearance "enhancement" value, despite the fact that these covers, like the blue bulbs, are illegal and dangerous.

Why can't you just go to your'e local dealer and buy a snowmobile lamp they are brighter. But also illegal. When was the last time you got stopped for a headlight check? Me never i use them all the time.Somebody tell me why i can't.

So thats it then, 710.00 for the real deal and send them the assembly. Sorry, unacceptable. Gonna have to wait till that comes down some. 300.00 I could probably live with. I believe bear's looking into something with a company in la who makes HID systems. Lets see how that turns out.

I couldn't find the old thread regarding this topic. I just want brighter bulbs for the low and high beams. I think someone was talking about ultrawhites. Any help is appreciated?

I bought a set of "hiperwhites" from autobulbdepot.com. They turned out to be a $54 RIPOFF. The blue fell off the bulbs staining my headlamp reflector and they were NOT even close to being as bright as the OEM's.

It's a good idea but the bulbs I got suked

If anybody has some that really work I'm interested.

Here is the skiny on HID

“Clearing the Confusionâ€
H.I.D. lighting versus “blue replacement bulbsâ€

Xenon or H.I.D. (High Intensity Discharge) vehicle lighting is a direct descendant of the gas discharge lamps that have been used for many years in sports stadiums and factories. The lights do not use a filament like a halogen bulb, but create light by zapping an arc between two electrodes. This arc excites gases which in turn ignite metallic salts producing an intense white light on the roadway. The results are impressive, consuming one-third the current draw of comparable halogen lighting while producing four times the light output.
H.I.D. headlights produce a color temperature of 4300 Kelvin versus 2800 Kelvin from a standard halogen bulb. For comparison, the earths sun has a color value of 5200 Kelvin. Simply, the color temperature is a unit of measure of a light source. The higher the number the closer the light resembles actual sun light. This color spectrum ranges from dark red to orange, yellow, and finally white to light blue. This explains why vehicles equipped with H.I.D. headlights at night have a slight blue hue and halogen equipped vehicles have a yellow hue.
H.I.D. lighting is currently offered as standard equipment on many manufacturers ‘flagship’ models such as the Mercedes S-class and BMW 7 series. It is expected that eventually all vehicles will have H.I.D. lighting as standard safety equipment in the next decade. The H.I.D. lights through their light output and ‘whiter’ color make a drastic improvement in visibility at night.
H.I.D. lighting is expensive to produce. It is not accomplished through replacing the stock halogen bulb with one that has a blue color. Equipment for each H.I.D. system includes a ballast, igniter, headlight reflector, beam pattern reflector, insulated wiring, and xenon gas bulb. High voltage wiring is also required to arc between two contacts inside the bulb causing ignition and bright light.

The H.I.D. ‘look’ is certainly appealing for many people customizing their vehicles. Many of these companies producing bulbs simply try and ‘cheat’ by tinting their bulbs blue. Unlike H.I.D.’s which illuminate the road in white light, these cheap bulbs emit a dull yellow/blue light that in most cases actually reduces visibility by rating lower on the color temperature spectrum.

Remember that H.I.D. lights are also referred to as Xenon. Some companies will market their replacement bulbs using Xenon in the title. These are still nothing more than halogen bulbs which may have a higher wattage output to impress the consumer. They will still illuminate the roadway in the familiar yellow halogen light hue or even blue!

In review: H.I.D. lighting systems are generally only available at this time on vehicles over $40000. H.I.D. after-market lighting kits are now becoming available for the motorcycle market. Remember that these are a ‘system’ of many components not just a halogen bulb replacement. H.I.D. lights emit a bluish/white light as they are closer to actual sunlight and have a higher color temperature than halogen, the light pattern on the roadway will appear white, wide, and consistently bright. H.I.D. lights are designed to only operate on the low beam setting. Halogen lighting emits a yellow light and a smaller light beam on the roadway, often highlighting one spot and dissipating from that area. Blue tinted halogen bulbs will always emit a dull reduced light on the roadway

Good grief people, all I wanted to know was where I could get a higher wattage halogen replacement bulb in white to increase the light output of my stock lights. I don't want blue or yellow or whatever else. I just want a brighter stock type bulb mainly for the low beam as it is not quite bright enough. Who in your opinion makes the best stock replacement bulbs in a higher wattage.

Thanks

Let me try and shed a little light on this confusing thread since I've had a lot of experience with different bulbs with my cars and now the Busa. Firstly - the bulbs we tried in our Busas are replacement bulbs using the same plugin and are Xenon/Halogen mix. They are not regular halogens and they are not true Xenons - they are a mix of the two gases. They are a little better than regular halogens but not as good (or as expensive)as true Xenons. In the past there have been blue colored "ion" bulbs on the market. (yellow too) These have proven to be worse than regular clear halogen bulbs. The blue filter material (which burned/flaked off) of our most recent Xenon/Halogen mix bulbs filtered out the yellow spectrum and actually appear white. The old halogen blue ion bulbs appeared torquoise in color and are not the same. Having said that - clear higher than stock wattage halogen/xenon bulbs are a good economical upgrade to the stock bulbs. The blue filter on the Hyperwhite brand bulbs we tried flaked off - either due to the higher wattage/higher heat or substandard quality. The high beam Hyperwhite bulb did not seem to do well in the projector lamp and I changed it back to stock. The low beam bulb is nearly clear now and I'm staying with it as it is higher wattage and performs better than stock IMO. True Xenon is the best but at hundreds of dollars not feasable for me.

Omega's idea of riding around with the hi beam's on (most) of the time sounds like a better solution than an $800 lighting "system". I don't want to blind folks on a dark night hence the most qualifier.

Simple and cheap sounds good to me.

Back