Thank god (well Suzuki at least) for twin bulb headlights!

OB_DangerMouse

Registered
I was travelling down the motorway at night on Friday at about 120 Mph when the headlight bulb exploded, after the initial few milliseconds of ohmegawdImgonnnadie panic I hit the highbeam switch and all was well again apart from the need for unsoiled under wear.
It was a cloudy night and the Motorway was unlit, it was very dark I would have crashed - perhaps fatally, if the Busa had a conventional bulb as the bulb physically exploded which in a twin filament job would have taken out both my high and low beams.

Now recite the Hail Mary's 25 times......
Was that the original bulb? Was it possible that the bulb was touched by someones fingers?

No it wasn't the OE bulb, but a higher rated one (90 Watts) I suspect it over heated, I put the bulb in myself and definately didn't touch the glass, I also checked it for marks or smears before I fitted it.

I've now replaced both bulbs with Phillips White Visions, which have the same wattage rating as OE but produce about a 30% more light for the same wattage.

I always ride with the high beam activated which means both bulbs are lit at all times. I'm sure its unpleasant to oncoming cages at night but I figure fukem. They definately arent going to miss me.

OMEGA:

I was told both high-low beam on at the same time will cause electrical problems ...

will it???

or won't it

both beans, same time makes for good nite vision ...

I usually drive with highs on too, except when behind cars at the stoplight. Hey, that would scare the **** out of ya on a dark road
if your headlight failed completely!!! You might be able to turn on the flashers to get some light, but who can think that fast when everything goes black suddenly? Thank God and Suzuki in this case.

Oh, yes, praise be to Suzuki.
Now if the cheap muthas would have just wired the front turn signals with dual bulbs, so they'd be night time marker lights, LIKE NEARLY EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM.

Dangermouse:

Halogen's sure are sensitive. I stalled 80/100w's in my truck and thought I did a good job rubbing them down before installing them, well later that day or so, poof, she blew, had a hot spot (oil from my finger I guess). So the next one we wiped with alcohol and my buddy installed it incase I screw up again...

Make sure you wipe then down with alcohol, even if they are need out of the package! Hell, I wear thing cotton gloves sometimes, especially if I can't see wear I am installing it and might accidently tough the bulb with my palm or something stupid like that...

Fair point Bulldog! although I've installed loads of bulbs in my time - never had a problem until now!

Richard, the wiring or the indicaters as you suggested is illigal in most countries. I suppose Suzuki didn't got to the trouble of moddong the electrics just for the US.

DM, did you get your brakes sorted?

I finally got braided lines on mine and as usual they give a lot more bite and feel. To work really well in the wet, I suspect that a different pad would be advisable. Hasn't rained enough here to be sure.

I took the opportunity to get into a little bit of the rain on my way to work this morning, Slowhand! I-15 up to Escondido is kind of exciting on a new Busa at rush hour in the rain, when none of the drivers around you have a clue about driving in rain. It's a good way to "bond" with your bike. Every idiot out there is trying to kill you and smash your bike. All you have for survival is horsepower, handling, brakes, and skill. Fuk 'em...clueless as they are, I won't let 'em touch me or my baby.

DM, I've had great luck with Phillips Halogen bulbs. It has to be clean to make sure it doesn't run hot, of course. If you have any doubt, a little bit of alcohol or acetone on a soft clean cloth is the ticket. My Phillips 55 watt low/100 watt high beam lamp has burned weeds off the sides of roads for me on my old bike since about 1985. After more than 80,000 km., it still turns night into day!

Back