Break-in of new Busa

Highbusa

Registered
What are the opinions of you guys? During break-in periods do you "baby the busa" for the first 500 or 600 miles or do you ride it like its already broke in??? What do you guys think?

You don't ride it likes it a baby nor do you ride it like it is broke in. You should follow the steps given in the manual of a staged break-in routine to get the proper second heat-treatment and the proper setting of rings/bearings until staged thermal loading.

Just my opinion, but I think the big thing is not to exceed the 5k or so rpm.  Like Raxen said, don't baby it but don't go to the track with it either. Follow what the manual says and you'll be fine.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081692591 -->

Mototune it, then change the oil right away after breaking it in.

I kept mine below 5500 rpm for the first 500 miles but did run it up to about 6500 a couple of times and only held it there for a few seconds. These cycles are so fast that sometimes you just get carried away. I changed my oil after I had about 700 miles on it and that was about 200 to far, but everything seems fine.

One of the best points you can take from the Mototune method is to change your oil after the first 20 - 50 miles. I did my first oil change at 50 miles and you would be amazed at the amount of fine metal particles you will see in that oil. I will always do this on any new bike I get because I don't want all that metal crap floating around through the motor and tranny. Just my .02 worth...

One of the best points you can take from the Mototune method is to change your oil after the first 20 - 50 miles. I did my first oil change at 50 miles and you would be amazed at the amount of fine metal particles you will see in that oil. I will always do this on any new bike I get because I don't want all that metal crap floating around through the motor and tranny. Just my .02 worth...
Yeah, I think that's a very good practice on any new engine.
wink.gif

Back