Brakes.

newman

Registered
Went for a ride yesterday with Lynne to Ipswich, took the country lanes there lots of twisty roads, on the way back took the motorway, just cruising along at 70mph up to 80mph to 90mph when overtaking all this in 6th gear for about 20 miles.
Now I don't know if I imagined this but the brakes seemed worse after the high speed run, like more stopping distance, and not as powerful.
Well we turned off the motorway and was going about 40mph and went down a steep hill with a right hand bend at the end, and with the weight of the bike, me being a big old lump and Lynne I braked and it seemed to take ages to slow down, also on the straights at normal road speed it seemed the same. I know the brakes get hot but would they do this, or am I going mad.
Any help would me much appreciated.
Oh yea it's a 2010 gen II with just over 500 miles on it.

Squeeze the lever a little harder. 500 miles of curising is not enough to get the hang of braking. Braking skills are developed through practice.

Braking skills are IMO the most important aspect of motorcyling and the most overlooked. You can easily shave off 25% of your current stopping distance in one afternoon with propper braking drills.

That's and riding 2 up is completely different. Took me a while to my brakes with my girl on the back. I would say with the little drills I have done I have cut my stooping by 50% and I know where my tires lock up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Down shift and brake, use the engine as well as the front and rear brakes. I ride two all the time and my stopping distance is almost the same as solo. A few thousand miles and I dont even notice the difference even when riding. I also had my suspension adjusted and it makes a world of difference, busa is too squishy without it,especially 2up. CRG adjustable levers and SS lines are a must too.

It would take several panic, or near panic, type stops in a row to overheat the front brakes enough to cause them to fade. Even at track days, turning the rotors blue/black from the heat, I've never noticed any fade from my lesser quality Gen 1 brakes.
One thing (if your Gen 2 doesn't already have them) you can do that will help your brakes more than any other single thing, is to swap to braided steel lines. The improvement in braking force and feedback is amazing.

I need to change mine soon...thinking steel braid
My next mod... Im not happy anymore with stock

Ordered mt SS lines fron Tim... waiting patiently for delivery

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I thought I was braking as I normaly do. It must be all in my mind.:laugh:.
I think I'll get the braided steel lines anyway, read good things about them before, yea my first mod. :cheerleader:.

Back