brakes and brake lines

SPEEDEMON

Donating Member
Registered
ok i just got galfer wave rotors front and rear and galfer brake lines front and rear.

the question is will i need any special tools to remove front/ rear wheel and front / rear rotors or will i be able to do it with the tools my bike came with?
i moved recently and lost all my tools so all i have are the ones in the little puoch that came with the bike.

or should i just take it to the shop and have them do it for tons of money...

thanx for the help

Hi SD,

I'm surprised no one else answered already. Anyway, you'll need the following "special" items: 24mm Hex/Allen (22mm if before 2002 to remove the front axle; 34mm (or 35mm) socket for the rear axle. Other than that, you'll need some standard tools like assorted hex sizes (front axle pinch bolts, front fender screws, ...), sockets (calipers bolts, ...), and wrenches (banjo bolts for the hoses and bleeder valves, ...). Bleeding the brakes just takes patience if you do it the old-fashioned way (pump brakes, bleed, fill reservoir, repeat as necessary). If any of this scares you, you're better off taking it to the dealer because you do not want to do a bad job on something as critical as brakes.

May not be where SPEEDEMON got his, but I get my brake stuff (lines and pads) from <a href="http://www.cyclebrakes.com">Cycle Brakes<a>. Good prices and great customer service.

I'm pretty sure I could do it with the tools in the pouch... and a decent pair of channel locks... and maybe a cheap set of sockets.

oem tools got you covered for allen wrenches/axle nut removers... but sockets would be much better for removing the brake calipers.

Back