Brake problems?

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Just replaced all the pads with EBC HH and HEL stainless lines.
In the front end you can hear something clicking or hitting something.
At first I thought it might have been the brake lines hitting the fender, but I think I took care of that.
Is it possible that the brake pads are bouncing around back and forth hitting the rotor and the caliper making the noise?
If so what is the fix.
Take back out check the pistons?

Also, the rear is dragging bad, and when backing the bike up it squeals only in one place.
Rotor not straight?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I have the same brakes on mine. They have a buzz to them, but I don't have any of the symptoms you are describing.

For the fronts you can look at the pads where they meet the rotors with a flash light to see if they are touching the rotor, use a small pocket screwdriver and see if they move around. They shouldnt move if they do then one or more of the pistons may be stuck, try to free it up by grabing the lever and pumping it hard-But you may want to rebuild it if it is sticking! If the rear drags in only one spot then chances are that the rotor is warped, but first check the rear wheel alignment!

Nathan,
Check the routing of your new lines... there is a bracket just underneath the fairing stay that sticks out just a hair, my lines were draging on that and causing sort of a click when they would snap over... I put some spiral wrap around the line closest and the problem went away...

Also, if the rear is draggin only in one place, then you might have damage to the rear rotor - is it possible that you rear wheel alignment is off?

Also did you bleed the rear caliper from both bleeder screws? One on outside by line other on inside pointing toward the back might have some air in there.

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 21 2007,21:10) For the fronts you can look at the pads where they meet the rotors with a flash light to see if they are touching the rotor, use a small pocket screwdriver and see if they move around. They shouldnt move if they do then one or more of the pistons may be stuck, try to free it up by grabing the lever and pumping it hard-But you may want to rebuild it if it is sticking! If the rear drags in only one spot then chances are that the rotor is warped, but first check the rear wheel alignment!
I just glanced, but I saw my brake lines popped out of the holders, so I didn't look hard.
I'll check it out again prob Fri or Sat and see.
Rear wheel alignment measured out good when I put it back on.
I'll have to check it again to make sure.
Thanks.

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 21 2007,21:13) Also did you bleed the rear caliper from both bleeder screws? One on outside by line other on inside pointing toward the back might have some air in there.
Yes sir.

(MC MUSTANG @ Mar. 21 2007,21:11) Nathan,
Check the routing of your new lines... there is a bracket just underneath the fairing stay that sticks out just a hair, my lines were draging on that and causing sort of a click when they would snap over... I put some spiral wrap around the line closest and the problem went away...

Also, if the rear is draggin only in one place, then you might have damage to the rear rotor - is it possible that you rear wheel alignment is off?
Shawn are you talking about the u-type bracket that is on the bottom of the lower triple that held the factory line?
If so I have both brake lines routed up through that to keep them in place since this is the dual line kit.

Will check alignment again to make sure.
Can a machine shop check to see if the rotor is warped and turn the rotor like they would for a car?

Look at the small black bracket where the lines sort of "catch" behind when the wheel is turned to the left...

DSC05530.JPG

When I would turn the wheel back to the right, the inner line would catch and when it snapped back it would sort of click off of the fender...

I'll have to check it out.
But it does it going in a straight line and quits when the brake lever is pulled.
So I'm thinking that the caliper pistons are froze up and sticking or not getting even pressure.

I'll have to just check everything.

I just yesterday finished putting the exact same lines an pads on my bike too (for the Bash you know) I'm not having the problems you described either so I'm not sure what it might be. Hope you find it and let us all know..... can't learn too much you know.
cool.gif

Haven't looked at the back, but I think that the rotor may be warped.
05BusaLe is sending me a complete set of rotors, I am going to install. Big thanks to David.

I took the front brake pads off yesterday and cleaned the pistons out as far as I could without popping them out and they went in smoothly with very little resistence. So I don't think they are stuck.
I am now starting to think it is the bearings. I can grab the front wheel with the bike on the stands and just barely move it back and forth and it makes the popping sound. Vertical motion, twisting the wheel.
There is no side to side movement.

Lines do not seem to be hitting anything.
So right now I'm leaning hard towards bearings for the front and a warped rear rotor.

(Pipefighter248 @ Mar. 24 2007,11:21) Haven't looked at the back, but I think that the rotor may be warped.
05BusaLe is sending me a complete set of rotors, I am going to install. Big thanks to David.

I took the front brake pads off yesterday and cleaned the pistons out as far as I could without popping them out and they went in smoothly with very little resistence. So I don't think they are stuck.
I am now starting to think it is the bearings. I can grab the front wheel with the bike on the stands and just barely move it back and forth and it makes the popping sound. Vertical motion, twisting the wheel.

So right now I'm leaning hard towards bearings for the front and a warped rear rotor.
Just got back from post office, parts are on their way!

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 24 2007,11:flamethrowing:)
(Pipefighter248 @ Mar. 24 2007,11:21) Haven't looked at the back, but I think that the rotor may be warped.

Just got back from post office, parts are on their way!
bowdown.gif

Thanks a bunch.
I owe you one.

Back