Brake pads

flynjay

Registered
Ready to put new pads on her...but have a question or two.

Service manual says just remove a couple of smallparts from the caliper and slide the pads out, slide the new in.

1. Will I need to spread the pistons before he new pads go in?
2. What's the best way to spread the pistons if the calliper is still mounted to the fork. (the manual doesn't say remove the calliper)

Thanks for your support...

BTW, tried the search and found one thread, but the link in that thread was out of date.

I have not done my fronts yet, but when I replaced my chain and sprocket I went ahead and put pads on the rear. The caliper piston twists back in, I used a pair of channel locks and a rag, screwed right back in. I would assume the fronts are the same. If there is any pad wear, the piston will need to be retracted a bit. Step by step? download the shop manual "sticky". I printed the whole thing, 513 pages. Printer stunk for a week.

Its easy. Easier if you take the calipers off of the forks for the extra little bit of room but I know some who choose not to.

I had to move my calipers back in front and back. The back was virtually seized and I had to take it completely off so I could get enough leverage to break the rear piston loose again...

The fronts I didn't have to take the calipers off, but again, I had to push them back. Keep an eye on your brake fluid resevoir... It is probably about half full now if you are pretty worn and haven't filled it up. If you are full because you have kept adding as time goes on, you may have to bleed off some of the fluid...

If you are not that worn, maybe you can just "slip them in there..." I tried and tried, but ended up pushing pistons back.

Its always better to remove the calipers from the fork... its easier to work with, and saves you lots of scratches and stuff! Just my opinion... each to his own

Back