Min brake pad thickness? Gen 2

Blkoutbusa

Registered
What's the min brake pad thickness for front and rear brake pads? And is it measured on JUST the brake material I assume?

I can not find the info in the manual anywhere!

I read EBC says 2 mil (I would not wait that thin as they can't deal with heat as well) and the stock Zook ones have indicators.
And yes just the brake material.

My rear pads do not have indicators...fronts do. Ill go measure them when I get home. I was just reading some other bike forums (google search, lol) say 1mm but I will def be taking a closer look tonight now.

Thanks!

1mm!!!
I could burn that off in a day!
2mm sounds alot more like it, as a limit.
At 1mm the wear groove could be gone.
1mm is about 10 sheets of paper.
If you ever have a doubt with brakes, just replace pads, and rotors if need be, they're just throw away parts anyway, and kind of important.

Haha, yea brakes are kind of important. I'm fairly certain the rears are toast. But I'm always overly-cautious with replacing pads and typically do them early rather than later. I don't like running them to far down so was just curious what the true, actual min was.

There are probably wear bars -- a groove cut in the pad composition. It works the same as tire wear bars. When you reach the bottom of the groove on any pad, the set is finished. If you see no grooove, it is probably gone. You usually can see the groove if you get down on the floor and look up into the caliper with a flashlight but it's best to remove the pads to inspect. Inner/outers, upper/lower may be worn unevenly.

I have never removed mine on my busa. Here's my 14's which I are probably similar to the busa.
thumb_OEMpads.wght_1024.jpg

My EBC pads did not have wear bars so I guess it's just eyeball it. I wouldn't want to run it real thin incase it should become susceptible to cracking off. It is just the composition that would be specced if there were a spec. I'd say if you have 3mm, better change pretty soon. Remember, they do not all wear evenly ---pad location + usually they wear more at the leading edge and it is hard to see unless you remove the pads.

Back