Brake fade after parked for 4 days

Good observation. Let's see if someone outside the US experienced it. I'm in the EU, never had this problem (knock on wood). It could also point at faulty setup as suggested by @Hayabusa Wannabe , if all NA bikes are set up by the same service provider.

Every dealer I've been in, in multiple states, always has machines in their factory crates.
Some need little to no assembly, others need wheels and small parts put on.
I'm not buying that Suzuki or anyone else is letting 3rd parties assemble their bikes...especially bleeding brakes.
All that is done at the factory.
It is either a run of bad parts from the supplier, or a missed or failed step in assembly or QC.

Good observation. Let's see if someone outside the US experienced it. I'm in the EU, never had this problem (knock on wood). It could also point at faulty setup as suggested by @Hayabusa Wannabe , if all NA bikes are set up by the same service provider.no p
A very good point, we have several out of country gen 3 bikes out there who's owners are on here...
I also didn’t had any issues with the brakes, and the bike is always sitting a few days each week.

I had 1508 miles on my bike when I took it apart to do things to it. I did not have this issue at all until I reassembled it. I did not do anything to the front brakes or it's MC. Only thing I did was remove the wheel and changed out the handlebars as well as rotate the levers down some. There is a few on here that have the issue without ever doing anything at all their bike, corrrect?

To me, with how non-consistent it is and how it seems to pop up after some miles are put on in some cases, seems like it's something we provoked some how.....maybe?

5k+ miles now and a year old, sat for 3 weeks at one point, often goes days without being touched...never had a problem and trying to stay cognizant of the issue everytime I start it just to see if it springs up.

I'm not buying that Suzuki or anyone else is letting 3rd parties assemble their bikes...especially bleeding brakes.
All that is done at the factory.
It is either a run of bad parts from the supplier, or a missed or failed step in assembly or QC.

Notwithstanding that you are probably spot-on regarding the origin of the brake problem, I was referring to "setup" and not "assembly". A large number of bikes are setup by external services today, and possibly on-site at the dealership. Just something to keep in mind, ergo who is touching our vehicles.

So quick thought to this has anyone changed out the master cylinder yet? Not for OEM either. Like Brembo or even a different oem like yamaha or ZX 14? If swapping it out and bleeding it fixes the problem then we can move on. Id gladly buy a better part thats safer and bypass the OEM garbage on my dime any day of the week. We do it with filters and exhaust without griping. Why not for a safety issue too?

FYI- This morning, after too many days as a garage queen, (Actual Monsoons, I'll take the KTM SAS, or Ram.) it happened again and as someone suggested, I tried the rear brake, and it seemed fine.

I did an easy 200-mile time-killer with only a couple of 150 MPH bursts, of course and then about 4 hours parked at the g/f's house. It did it again and the rear brake was normal. (Why does this always still catch me off guard?)

I'll have the Dealer bleed the system and report it to the Mothership.

FYI- This morning, after too many days as a garage queen, (Actual Monsoons, I'll take the KTM SAS, or Ram.) it happened again and as someone suggested, I tried the rear brake, and it seemed fine.

I did an easy 200-mile time-killer with only a couple of 150 MPH bursts, of course and then about 4 hours parked at the g/f's house. It did it again and the rear brake was normal. (Why does this always still catch me off guard?)

I'll have the Dealer bleed the system and report it to the Mothership.
So we need to look at the front calipers and rotors closer as well as inspect for any leakage. It has to be the master cylinder or front end. I am perplexed as to why its happening and thankfully its not happening to me at all.

I started this thread on last October when I noticed the fault. The MC was replaced under warranty, and since then no problem (done 15000 km since then). The bIke was bought on May 2021 in Greece, so it is a European model.
Thanks for your kindly reply. I am following some long term gen3 owners/youtubers from Japan, they didn't report MC issue like this thread. I will keep eye on it.

Just checking back in…about 800 miles since the dealership bled the brakes and the issue has not happened again and it has sat for 3-4 days between rides a few times. It took a little over a thousand miles to happen the first time. Time will tell.

Just checking back in…about 800 miles since the dealership bled the brakes and the issue has not happened again and it has sat for 3-4 days between rides a few times. It took a little over a thousand miles to happen the first time. Time will tell.

Crap. Sounds like it's getting narrowed down to the MC. At least Parmenion had good luck so far with a replacement. Would it be worth/possible to simply swap a 2020 MC if someone wanted to give it a shot?

No, it's a different part, and you would still be guessing if it were the problem.

I understand it's a different part and looks different as well, but I was curious from the technical side it would be a direct swap IF it happens to be the actual issue we have?

Just thinking out loud as I know my warranty is gone and what I'll need to do to fix the issue myself.

Update about my brake issues. I was having the same symptoms as everyone has described. First dealer trip they bled the calipers. No change. Second visit they bled the abs and the calipers. No change. Third visit the brakes actually failed pulling into the dealership. Suzuki got involved and they sent a rep to look at the bike. They replaced everything related to the brake system. Have to say the dealership and Suzuki have been great. That was a few months ago. Last week when i was backing out of the garage the lever went to the grip again nearly causing me to dump the bike. I notice that after a 15 minute ride on the freeway I will have to pump the brakes before reaching the end of the off ramp if I want full braking power. This happens nearly every time I ride. This will be my 4th time taking it back to the dealer and maybe my last, Ill have to dig into the lemon laws. I love the bike but brakes are kind of important and losing them could potentially have fatal results.

Maybe they did replace the entire brake system...maybe they didn't.
I don't trust dealers.
To Anyone bringing their gen3 in for supposed brake part replacements, you should buy a blacklight marker.
Put a mark on the abs pump and whatever other parts.
Shining a blacklight on the mark is the only way to make the mark visible.
Video the process.
If they don't swap parts...legally you've got them, social media, local news, and court, with a brake issue...that's not to go over too well.
I would also mount a Go-Pro camera or phone camera and point it at the brake lever, to show failure in motion and in real time.
Cover your own ass, as the Dealers will not.
I hate reading these posts too, this is a terrible situation on so many levels.
I hope none of you or your bikes get hurt as a result, and that this is fixed asap.

zx14 have a Brembo master setup? Maybe swap over to this?

They do...but if the gen3 MC is at fault, it can only be a bad seal, or an out of spec or damaged piston or cylinder bore.
That will cause an air leak, and will lead to a spongey lever and failing brakes.
BUT, assuming that is the case, I cannot understand how you can build brake pressure back immediately, and retain brakes for a long period of time.
That also applies to a leak Anywhere in the system.
So that leads me to think that the fault must be in the ABS pump.
Consider it is pulsing fluid at high rates in fractions of a second to create the on/off/on/off effect that is ABS braking.
I am unfamiliar with the gen3's ABS system, so I cannot comment on it's exact mechanical function.
But, they are not complex parts, rather just rapidly opening and closing valves.
I have seen one brake line and one clutch line(gsxr1k rear and Bking clutch) fail.
No fluid leaks, nothing.
No amount of bleeding would fix them either. Both were sucking air, but with 3-5 layers of the line, no fluid could escape.
There is obviously air getting in the system somewhere, and we know that air will eventually move towards the end of the lines, to the calipers and the MC's.
The rapid action of the ABS pump seems to be the only part capable of moving the fluid in the line, and therefor the air in the line that quickly.
The only info that I can find on the gen3 ABS pump says that it is a gen3 specific part only as well, so it's not a gsxr transplant, but rather based on it.
It's also been proven now that bleeding doesn't fix this.
I also wonder what the odds are that a defective ABS pump was replaced with another bad part.
There's no telling how many bad manufactured anything make it to suppliers.
I would think and hope Suzuki's QC is taking a serious look at all the braking components.
For as long as this has went on, it's gotten pathetic on their part.
DO SOMETHING SUZUKI!!!!!!

Back