Brakes Fading

Tian

Registered
Good Morning,

My rear brake, when playing quite hard in the city (robot to robot hard acceleration and braking etc) it just fades away completely! I had this issue on my Gen1 aswel even after i upgraded to waved disks and braded hoses.

So what happens is that it disappears completely, then after a couple of pumps it will start coming back. If i leave it for a while like say tops a minute it will appear again working 100%. Is anyone else having this issue? How can i fix it?

I use FUCHS brakefluid (Semi or full synthetic cant remember)
GOLD Fren Brake pads (Ceramic Carbon and Sintered Metal is on the package)
On this bike the hoses and disks is stock.

I once tried Ferodo brake pads but that did not make much of a difference.

Front brakes after quite a while is also getting a bit weaker but they don't disappear completely, if i can guess i lose about 1/4 of their braking power.

I've been more than satisfied with EBC HH pads for years now but I did have that loss of rear brake once to find out I had air in the line. It's a very short line and just a tiny lil bit of air can foul up the brakes. Maybe try bleeding them.

I did try bleeding before. But it did not change. Maybe i bleeded it wrong- will try that again though. With YouTube guidance :-)

Wow how are you riding to work the rear brakes that hard? Stock brakes will fade, that is not unusual but I don't get how you heat the rear up that much.

My GF and i was playing with her brother on his K9 1000. Did robot to robot racing etc. It was really hard acceleration and very hard braking. So i used both my brakes quite hard and when i approached a robot it was just like gone. lol.

This rarely happens only when we do higher speeds in city or playing like yesterday when much harder braking is needed this happens.

So the fading is normal then i guess with all the heat and so?

Except for Braded Hoses and Waved Disks, is there any other upgrades on brakes available?

Its that yellow pole, with 3 lights in. Red Light, Orange Light and Green Light.... Not sure if robot is the proper name for it? Sorry.

Yes sir, she was on the back.

Its that yellow pole, with 3 lights in. Red Light, Orange Light and Green Light.... Not sure if robot is the proper name for it? Sorry.

Yes sir, she was on the back.

Sorry man, i see it's called Traffic lights.

Tian.... seriously reconsider racing with your girlfriend on the back.... its ok to gamble with your own life... but imagine if anything ever happens to her? You re really working that busa hard in those hot climates also..... consider... maybe part of ure problem is ure calipers sticking from sand and dirt getting into them... again... the brake pads could be applied ALL the time just a little bit and THATS why ure having brake fade issues... make sure ure wheels spin freely with no drag..... and in 20 years I have never seen a rear brake fade like u describe... but again.. I never put a female on the back and gave the bike hell either...... I have to ask.... Have you ever been in a bad crash? please be safe.

Are you sure your foot isn't slightly resting on the rear brake pedal?
If it is, and very little, the brake will heat up and fade fast.
Also, if you have "Race" pads, they are not good for the street, as they must be kept warm to work. Once they cool, and they do quickly, they will feel like hot brakes do when they fade.

Tian.... seriously reconsider racing with your girlfriend on the back.... its ok to gamble with your own life... but imagine if anything ever happens to her? You re really working that busa hard in those hot climates also..... consider... maybe part of ure problem is ure calipers sticking from sand and dirt getting into them... again... the brake pads could be applied ALL the time just a little bit and THATS why ure having brake fade issues... make sure ure wheels spin freely with no drag..... and in 20 years I have never seen a rear brake fade like u describe... but again.. I never put a female on the back and gave the bike hell either...... I have to ask.... Have you ever been in a bad crash? please be safe. [\QUOTE]

The wheels does spin freely when on paddock stand... they turn easy when turn by hand hand and i do not hear that sound of pads scratching against the disks.

I also rinse the disks and callipers once to twice a month when i wash the bike and once every 2 to 3 months i clean the disks properly. Around the piston which pushes the pads toward the disk is also clean. The pistons moves smooth. So not really dirty by eye or by feel?

What do you mean by working the busa hard in our hot climates?
When we do that kind of riding we do it past 8 pm.... so its quite cooler temperatures then say approx 19-25max celcius....

We have 3 roads which is "safe to race" depending on how a rider treats the traffic light sections. Its 3 lanes up-pavement in the middle-3lanes down. Thats where we do our racing and also after 8 pm... its quite that times so we basicly own the road most of the time.
It may sound stupid and selfish and wreckless racing with my gf on the back but i t sounds worst than what it is. When i approach an intersection or cross road i bring down my speed to such a speed where i know i will be able to stop if a light turns red or if a car turns over the intersection or cross road. When i am over i will accelerate again. Also if it happens that we approach a car or couple of cars occupying the middle lane or are in more than 1 lane i also decrease lots of speed. I have my safe zones for picking up and then also my causious zones where i will always be at such a speed where i know i will be able to stop or prevent an accident for incase something happens. I know risk is always there when traveling on bike but when my gf is with me i will always drive in such a way that the risk wont increase because of stupidity or wrecklessness. So yes, i wont be able to live with my self if something must happen to her, so i am making 100% sure in the best of my ability, that if something might happen, it wont be due to me being an idiot driver. She absolutely loves the biking life.... the speed, when playing or racing with other bikes etc.
Yes my freind, i had an accident before.... wont say it was that bad but just was broken in hard to heal bones was in a wheel chair for a while and in bed for about 5 or 6 months.
Also had the front tyre popped on 220kmh but managed to have kept the bike upright till a dead stop. Accident i was alone but tyre pop was with my gf after a quick run on a sunday afternoon.

Are you sure your foot isn't slightly resting on the rear brake pedal?
If it is, and very little, the brake will heat up and fade fast.
Also, if you have "Race" pads, they are not good for the street, as they must be kept warm to work. Once they cool, and they do quickly, they will feel like hot brakes do when they fade.

Nope... my first bike i had the foot on brake illness :-D
So i teached myself to keep my foot away from that pedal.... i am not sure about the pads. I will quickly go google that pads and post a picture....

Pics of the girlfriend?:cool:

Lol this was shortly before the tyre poped.... we were riding for CMA but had issues so now we are riding for BusaRidersSA.... just a social media group mostly.

IMG_20170702_155040.jpg

@sixpack577 - here is the brakepads i have...

View attachment 1580335

I'm not familiar with that brand.
Ceramic is great, and does stop you shorter.
As for whether or not they are race only pads, I can't say for sure. But, since they don't say race on them, and if you have the same on the front with no issues, they are likely street pads.
All I could suggest would be to spray them with brake clean, scrub with a rag, spray again and let evaporate.
Spray and wipe the rotor too.
It is unlikely, but you could have driven through something(oil or oil based) that splashed on the rear rotor and got into the pads.

I would also bleed the rear master cylinder.
I have also seen a brake line have an apparent pin hole, that did not leak fluid out, but was able to suck air in(brake hose is multi-layered).
This is extremely rare, and it was hard to belive when it actually happened to me.
Likely not your problem, but definately needs to be checked.
If you do have air in the line, bleed it out and fix it, great. If it comes back, the line may be bad.
I also have never seen bad caliper piston seals that did not visibley leak fluid.

Thanks @sixpack577 ! I will see if i can get more info on the pads...

I would do as you suggested then....

Would have sorted out the bike completely this weekend.... (Oil leak & fitting new Radiator) Bud the oil supplier do not have any oil in stock and i am not willing to pay 200-300 dollars more at another place....
So next week the new stock will arrive so if all goes good and the workshop is available next Friday we will then sort it out. With the brakes bleeding and cleaning too then. Next service is in 600km time so should be almost done in a weeks time.

Back