Boot on the Road

BigJon

Registered
I have been riding for a little while now, but have yet to really get my busa to lean hard through the corners. So i decided i should start little by little in turns i know around my area. I took one turn yesterday it was a pretty sharp left and with my foot tucked and under the gear shift lever i managed to scrap the edge of my boot. does this happen a lot to other riders? I handled the turn fine after that and nothing happened just curious to know others experience.

Welcome to the oRg. Move your feet back and put the ball of your foot on the peg. You had your heel on the peg and that is why you folded your foot under there. Be careful and again, welcome! :welcome:

Oh, and if you are going to start leaning her vert far, make sure you are working on body position and get your butt of the seat. You never want to drag hard parts.

That happen to me too, now I move my feet back right before I enter the turn just like twotonevert mention.

:welcome: to the board...+1 on getting your feet up on the pegs, you don't want your foot to get caught between the peg and the road!

Toss your stock pegs and go to a slash cut peg. They don't have the feelers on them and are more rounded on the ends. Put the ball of your foot on the ends, and push down with your thighs. If anything try different body position and pretty soon you'll be draggin' knee in no time.

And welcome! First post!

:welcome:

hayabusa_kneedragger2.jpg

hwy_49_busa_800.jpg

918_Pict0096_800_800.jpg

hayabusa_gopro_1.jpg

ozz_3.jpg

hayabusa_kneedragger2.jpg

hwy_49_busa_800.jpg

918_Pict0096_800_800.jpg

hayabusa_gopro_1.jpg

ozz_3.jpg

:welcome: to the oRg and never go through a corner with your foot under the shifter.

Thank you all very much for the welcome. I have been browsing the site since i have had my busa, but just never posted. So the past few days i have tried to pull my foot back through the turns and my left foot is a pain. When i pull it out from under the shifter it lifts the peg up and its hard to get my foot back down to ride through the turn. I think i just need to practice it more. Im determined to handle this bike through the turns. Everyone tells me its not a twistie bike but I would love to prove them wrong.

it just takes practice...the more you ride, the more flexible you will become so it will be easier to maintain proper form during runs through the twisties...btw, make sure you don't put your knee on the pavement unless you have pants with pucks on :laugh:

Everyone tells me its not a twistie bike but I would love to prove them wrong.

Jon, the only people that say that are those who have NEVER ridden the busa.

That's bunk.

Already posted the on-board pics, but here's more in case you didn't notice them. ;)

This bike is all about haulin' the mail. :cheerleader:

918_Pict0354_800.jpg

918_Pict0354_800.jpg

Those pictures are insane. I really need to get out and practice more. Thanks everyone for the help and thanks pashnit for those photos.

The busa is low, so it is quite easy to get your pegs to scrape. Like it was said above, if you plan on knee dragging remove the peg feelers. At extreme lean you can scrape the exhaust and side covers.

Where the story of "Busas can't corner", comes from is the tendency of the busa to push hard upright when you use the throttle wrong in the curves. Due to it's torque even at low rpm, you have to apply less power coming out of a turn, than you would on a 1000cc. On the smaller bikes you can start powering up before the apex, and go full power after the apex. You can do this on the busa as well, but it will understeer. This is what give riders, that are unfamiliar with the busa, the feeling it can't corner.

Road riding is different from the track in one primary aspect: Generally you can not see through the turn, due to obstacles. Therefore cornering is always wide in, and late apex when you can see the exit. This works well for the busa - you can use the torque to power out of the exit very quickly. Many inexperienced riders think they can ride the road like the track. It does not work, and they will end up in the bushes on the first decreasing radius corner. Apex too early, and you have no lean left to complete the turn, and you will already be on the throttle. Add a throttle chop to too much lean, and you end up with a low side slide. Watch the dragon crash videos on youtube.

:welcome: to the Org!

The added 2"-3" of wheelbase and 120+lbs over a liter or 600 tends to add a lot to the "Busa won't corner" theory. A longer bike will turn slower than a short one, that's kind of a granted. And I can sure feel the weight when going from a big lean angle one way to an equally big lean angle the other way. But considering a Hayabusa was designed as a drag and top speed bike, where length and girth equal stability, it does pretty good in the twisties. I've been riding with the local sport bike guys off and on for several years now, and always manage to hang toward the front 4. Also have had some great times at the track on it (well, all except for one, but that's another story:laugh:).
Foot under the shifter/brake levers is always a no-no. That's why the reversed shift pattern is used in racing, so if you have to upshift in a full lean, you can. Doubtful you'll ever have to deal with that, but the theory is the same.
Enjoy your bike and ride safe.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the Board!
If you ever get a chance to do a track day the knowledge and experience you gain will pay high dividends in everyday riding...but beware.... highly addictive!

Back