Bonneville, 200mph Club

tofas2c

Registered
Hey there everybody. Well this was my first trip to Bonneville and Im happy to say I came home with a record of 218.087mph in the APS-F 1350 class. And Im a new member of the Bonneville 200mph Club.

Now Im going to Give you my formula for this record. I figure if i help you all it will push you and me to get faster if you want it.

First the body. Ill start from the front. A tiger Racing front finder brackets I made for the Gen 2. Gsxr600 tank and a big hammer to make the my chest fit into it. The tank also is shorter so my helmet is basicly on the airbox. I put a shorter battery in so i could make a seat sit on the frame rails. This lowers 4" under stock. Then the tail section had turn signals removed and a piece of plastic cut to make the section narrow. Bike lowered as much as can be with the forks and the back to match. The radiator was blocked off as well as the oil cooler. Now I did warm the bike up too much on my first run and just after i shut down at the 4 mile marker it boiled the water out. But i found out i really only needed to be going to the 3 mile marker.

Not the engine. This is easy. Stock everything other than a hand port job from a car guy that builds race engines for about everything. This was his first bike head. He was a friend of a friend and it was a 1 week turn around. It flowed better on the bench than the last head i had done. I shimmed the valves the the tightest factory specs too.

Other after markets stuff. Brocks Header with no pipe and Ultra lite clutch mod. World wide bearings and so shaved tires. I took off about a half inch off each side on the back and about a quarter inch off each side on the front. Vortex Sprocket 40 tooth rear and a 19 front.

Power adders N2O by Dyno jet. I used 3 20oz bottles which was plenty. 2 in trunk 1 in the hump. Hump mount by Tiger Racing. Guy said only a 16oz would fit but if you want you can squeeze a 20oz in there. I used a #34 jet which is I think a 40hp jet. Best of all i used the ECU editor to turn on the nitrous. It worked great. I did not have time before i left to even test it to see if it was going to work or not. I guessed the turn on this but im thinking it was a good guess the plugs looked perfect when i looked at them when they checked the engine size.

I almost for got the key ingredeant Garilla tape to make sure your leathers a tight to your body.

Last but for sure not least. I want to say thanks to the WZBD Racing team and all its sponsers for letting be join them in this most wonderful adventure. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I could never have been able to do this with out you. I learned a lot about team work other stuff too. I will not knock the car guys at all. This team did not have to take me but Im so glad I was able to post a record with there name WZBD BUSA. :beerchug:

Thanks to all on this site that helped and prayers. Big thanks to Mark "outlawbusa", Ken "Commuta_busa" and Dennis.

If anyone has any questions let me know. :cheerleader:

100_1327.jpg

100_1331.jpg

100_1333.jpg

100_1335.jpg

100_1411.jpg

100_1417.jpg

100_1423.jpg

100_1420.jpg

100_1427.jpg

100_1480.jpg

100_1484.jpg

DSCI0035.jpg

DSCI0294.jpg

DSCI0200.jpg

Last edited:
very nice, congrats on the great results :beerchug: also, thanks for sharing the "how to"

WOW, outstanding effort and behind the scenes look.:bowdown:
Obviously the tire shaving had no effect(actually + effect:laugh:) on its performance! I could not even contemplate doing something like that,much less the rest of the package! Great plannlng and foresight.:thumbsup: :beerchug:

Congrats on the record! :thumbsup:

I didn't realize you were running nitrous. Was Fred's old record a power adder record? I know he has several, just not sure which one you beat him in?

Congratulations!

What is it like stopping from 200+ with no front brakes?

:fire:

Kevin will have to confirm the details as I'm not sure about Fred's old record but it sounds like Fred helped him out a bit while he was up there.

I know we said that Kevin ran the ported and polished head and he had 65lb springs in it, but I don't think we ever said that he ran stock cams and stock motor internals (everything below the head) since this was his street bike, not his race bike.

I thought that was pretty neat getting that much speed out of it.

He said he ran out of gear at 218 running the 19 front and 40 rear I believe with a 55 series tire.

Kevin will have to confirm the details as I'm not sure about Fred's old record but it sounds like Fred helped him out a bit while he was up there.

I know we said that Kevin ran the ported and polished head and he had 65lb springs in it, but I don't think we ever said that he ran stock cams and stock motor internals (everything below the head) since this was his street bike, not his race bike.

I thought that was pretty neat getting that much speed out of it.

He said he ran out of gear at 218 running the 19 front and 40 rear I believe with a 55 series tire.

Well the springs were stock too. The guy i thought was going to put the other springs in but didnt. So it was all stock other than the port job.

Fred did give me some pointers before i got there and when i got there. He is a good guy. I beat is fuel record but I will say i dont think he used any
N2O when he set the record last year. Im glad he is ok after the 200+ fall he made out there.

Outstanding! :beerchug:

Must take a while to slow down though with only a rear brake... :omg:

Back