Back From Bonneville

V8Pinto

Registered
I am back from a week and a half at Bonneville Speedway in Wendover, Utah.

We ran production class and had a really great time meeting really nice people.

My bike and Pat Womack's Busa were the two fastest in Production Class. Both of us topped 190+ at times - not too bad for stock bikes.

(editor's note - I talked to an Aussie team running Zed Ex 14's and they didn't break 176mph)

The racing was thrilling to say the least. I ran a 138 (licensing pass), then Pat ran 140something. I came back and ran 158 and he put in 160 something. It went like that, back and forth back and forth. I'd bump his speed and then he'd bump mine. I think the next closest production bike was either the Aussie's on the ZX14's or another Busa running about 170 (Gordon from Kent Riches' (Airtech) team).

What a rush! Imagine running full-tilt-boogie on a surface that is moving around, on a bike that is moving around, but still having that feeling that somehow it will be "ok".

I honestly don't feel worthy to ride such a competent machine.

Even at 191+, bars moving around, bike wiggling side to side, tachometer flashing wildly around and bouncing off redline as the tire spun at one hundred and ninety one miles an hour... Digging for traction where there was none to be had, front end skating side to side like a hound dog on a scent... DAMN!!!!!... I just can't explain what it's like to live like that!!!

And to come back safely and do it again? It just doesn't get any better than that.

I most certainly am blessed to have such an opportunity to REALLY LIVE.

congratulations-i would like to go to maxton-when you say stock does that mean you can't do anything to your bike-stock exhaust and everything?how did you prep it?

Production Class means no visible mods. You have to run stock pipes, stock mufflers, stock throttle bodies, no external airbox mods, nothing that can be seen as a mod. The bike must look 100% stock. You can change gearing and optimize things. And you can learn how to ride better.

GPW - thanks for getting me that Pipercross filter in-time to run to the Salt. I really like it!

The coolest part about land speed racing (for me) is the people. After several days of trading first place back and forth between me and Pat Womack, the starter comes up to me and says "are you ready? This guy in front of you isn't moving and you can go now or wait". I said "yeah..let's go" and the starter said "ok, you be ready in 10 seconds..now move!".

I still didn't have my gloves or helmet on and had to move my bike and all of a sudden things went from "I've got plenty of time" to "I need to move NOW or wait another 5 hours to run again" and I started to panic.

Who comes up to help but Pat Womack! he walks up and says "put your gear on dude, I'll get your bike". The same guy I've been competing against all year and in a heated battle with for days straight helps me put on my gloves, get situated to run, and pushed my bike to the line for me so I could focus and not be rushed!

That folks, is sportsmanship. Ya gotta love it and I can't wait to return the favor to Pat and all the other people that helped me out. I have numerous stories like this one, each as heartwarming.

Landspeed racers are the greatest in the nation!
super.gif

Awesome story, great speed! Glad to hear there are still quite a few good ones out there.
super.gif
I say quite a few because the Org is rich in great people!

(V8Pinto @ Aug. 18 2007,15:46) GPW - thanks for getting me that Pipercross filter in-time to run to the Salt.  I really like it!
You are very welcome, did you run any comparision with the OEM filter? Shoot me some pics of your machine and slips. I will get them up on the Pipercross website.

I see the Falkner Livingston ZX-14 was also present in the production class and broke the production bike class record with a speed of (196.604 MPH):

12-Aug-07 730B FL Racing / Cycle Barn 1650CC P-P 196.604 Kawasaki

So not all the 14's were turds.........

Shane, You did an awesome job riding on an less than perfect course. I hope to see you on the salt again soon!

Hey, who is this movie star?

Shane.JPG

All week long I've been following the progress of the whole event! Glad you had a great time and some really good runs!! Personaly I feel Bonneville is more about the whole experience and the racing is just a piece of the whole thing. LSR folks are the best even though you may be competing against someone they're always there to help out. Everyone just wants to see everyone do good, have a good time, make some fast passes, and share the moment!
beerchug.gif

Has your bike had any adverse effects from the salt cosmetic wise? Like corrosion or something. Or do you give it a good bath right away?
lurk.gif

DEFINITELY adverse effects from the salt. When I race at El Mirage, the bike comes back dirty. This time from the salt? The bike looked like it had been through a fight. It was beaten up, dirty, corroding, and generally just looked like crap.

The rotors are still rusting to the brake pads if I let it sit for too long - need to pull the calipers off and clean everything out.

My oldest daughter was in charge of cleaning the bike after each day's runs. She would take one of those garden pump sprayers and hose the bike off with water we drained from the ice chests. Each night I bet she got 10 lbs of salt off the bike - easy. To be honest with you - at times I think the damage to the bike wasn't worth it. But then...it's Bonneville. That probably only makes sense if you've been there.

Hey Got-Busa - I got your email and will answer shortly. If you want, I document a lot of my racing on my myspace page.

myspace.com/ssanmiguelracing

Check the blogs for my rookie stuff.

Back