Bonneville info needed

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I took a look at several options for the Busa - 1/4 mile, track days, street riding, etc...and have decided that a friend and I would like to possibly try out the World of Speed ,2006 September 13-16,Bonneville.

Besides the Usfra home page, can anyone point me in a good direction to get further info? What is the Registration deadline, and fee? What should my friend, and I expect the first time out there?

Im pretty serious about this so I dont need any b.s. about this or that - just want solid facts - Thanks in advance.

John

Are you dead set on Bonneville? http://www.saltflats.com/

Just curious because you may have just as much fun at Maxton (http://www.ecta-lsr.com/) or the http://www.texasmile.com/ and it would be a lot cleaner.

I'd hate to take the pretty Black/Grey bike on the Salt.
sad.gif
Otherwise any of them will be a great time if you are looking for TOPSPEED.
smile.gif

Good luck!
cool.gif

Try looking up John Noonan he holds some top speed records on his Busa. The 200 mph club was a small following of older peeps, (mostly-but not all) who worked hard for years to get into it. Then John came along a nailed it hard, he has shoved the record hard into the the twofiftys. John is around on some boards. He was also profiled on discovery channel. You need a rule book first. Dito on Maxton as your best chance to get your feet wet at no great expense. Then you can always take the big trip out west. G/L and "See u on the salt"

Thanks for the info, yah John Noonan is the man to talk to. Last year I got some parts from him, and he was very friendly. No real desire for Maxton at this point. Utah is a little more travel friendly for me. I might have to give John a call or drop him a pm about this matter. I have the rule book being sent out to me at this point. Anyhow, Im looking forward to planning for the event and have the support of my family which always helps. Not out to set any records on this end, just want to get my feet wet and experience a part of history at the same time. Thanks again for the replies.

Hello,
Let me know what you find out - I want to do the same thing. My wife's grandpa is an old salt racer and he's offered to sponsor me. He paid my membership to the BNI which I received a few weeks ago. It's pretty cool getting that member card and the medical waiver that says "in the event you are unable to speak, you authorize us to take you to the hospitable" hahahahah I love it...
firedevil.gif

I bought an 06' Limited that I just broke in. I figure I'll spend this year getting used to the happy grip and then make the trek to the salt.

I was looking at putting a nitrous bottle under the tail and running in modified fuel. I think that's the class anyway - it's tough to figure out. The record is 191 something which seems low to me.

Lemme know what you find out - I can't wait to safely twist it up!

I'd love to go to Bonneville too. I have so many questions, yet information seems pretty hard to find.

One concern I have is that Rick has a P-P record set for Bonneville at over 201MPH. I wonder what the P-P limitations are? The pictures of the bike do not show the exhaust

http://www.yacoucci.com/gallery/hayabusa

I have a TRE, Power Commander, and Two Brothers exhaust so I wonder what they will allow in that class. If they are strict, will any bike ever again apart from the 99 busas make over 200?

It's funny that the (M-F?) record is only 191mph, which seems to me that a modified busa could take that record. The rule books state that if you enter the wrong class you will NOT be reclassified, so you really have to know the rulebook well. I have a lot more to learn about the classes.

My dream is to pack up a camper with the BUSA, go to Bonneville and join the 200 club.

I want to go . It costs $60 to join the BNI . Then they send you a rule book . I don't no what all mods you have to do if you want to run over 200 I was looking to go this year but my wedding has gone a little over budget. Theres a few guys over on SHorg that have done it . I will be there next year GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!! So If you wait till then lets plan on meeting ! PM me on your thoughts.

Hey if Vic wants to go too , lets see if we can get a group together for next year, even if you go this year!

<!--EDIT|frisbee
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151277713 -->

I`m going this year for sure.
smile.gif
Next year maybe... If I like it this year...

Now I need to figure out how to bring Busa and my little car together...

I'd love to go to Bonneville too.  I have so many questions, yet information seems pretty hard to find.

One concern I have is that Rick has a P-P record set for Bonneville at over 201MPH.  I wonder what the P-P limitations are?  The pictures of the bike do not show the exhaust

http://www.yacoucci.com/gallery/hayabusa

I have a TRE, Power Commander, and Two Brothers exhaust so I wonder what they will allow in that class.  If they are strict, will any bike ever again apart from the 99 busas make over 200?

It's funny that the (M-F?) record is only 191mph, which seems to me that a modified busa could take that record.  The rule books state that if you enter the wrong class you will NOT be reclassified, so you really have to know the rulebook well.  I have a lot more to learn about the classes.

My dream is to pack up a camper with the BUSA, go to Bonneville and join the 200 club.
The rulebook says "any performance modifications must be out of view" after saying that the exhaust system must be unmodified. Page 100 of the 06' rules lists Handlebars, footrests, side/center stands, air cleaner element, toolbox, license plate brkt, lighting and instruments, and tires as the only allowable mods for P-P class. I think that rules out the TRE, in which case - the stock record might only be challengeable on the early Busas.

The rulebook says "any performance modifications must be out of view" after saying that the exhaust system must be unmodified.  Page 100 of the 06' rules lists Handlebars, footrests, side/center stands, air cleaner element, toolbox, license plate brkt, lighting and instruments, and tires as the only allowable mods for P-P class.  I think that rules out the TRE, in which case - the stock record might only be challengeable on the early Busas.
Oh no! That's not fair...

So basically never again will we get a good challenge to the record! Oh well.

There was a good 99 Busa for sale here a couple of years ago. Mint, low mileage (5k?), Yosh...but then he went down south and crashed it. Anyone else got a mint 99 for sale, cheap? ;)

Bonne has always been my long term goal. Right now I race at Maxton. Alot closer, cheaper, and you can make lots of runs.

Bonne has alot tighter rules and reeks havoc on aluminium. I'm just not ready for the commitment yet. The good thing about going to another circuit prior to Bonne is that you can get all you licensing out of the way. I'm set with my "A" license. I was able to bang out all the needed runs within one very busy weekend and even finish off at over 200 in the mile. i want to have everything setup right before Bonne and I've still got alot of work (haven't maxed out yet at Maxton, am at 207.5 after the last event). Good luck and post up your stories!

I had somebody else tell me Bonneville was "busy" and I'd be waiting a lot. How many runs did it take you to get your license? What speeds did you have to run at to earn it?

I was considering going to El Mirage which is closer to me. Also, it isn't a week commitment - I can bang it out in 3 days. Leave from work Friday, get there and sleep in the truck. Get up Saturday and tech, then run on Sunday and head home. Back to work on Monday.

No way could I do that at Bonneville.

I was having trouble figuring out what kind of leathers to get. The rulebook says "limited perforations are allowed in the armpit and back of knee" and "no cloth or non-leather panels are allowed". The perforations thing might be tricky - I've been having trouble finding leathers in town that don't have some sort of perforated panels in the elbow area. Also, any Quasimodo bump on the back of the leathers puts you in a partial streamliner class.

I had somebody else tell me Bonneville was "busy" and I'd be waiting a lot.  How many runs did it take you to get your license?  What speeds did you have to run at to earn it?

I was considering going to El Mirage which is closer to me.  Also, it isn't a week commitment - I can bang it out in 3 days.  Leave from work Friday, get there and sleep in the truck.  Get up Saturday and tech, then run on Sunday and head home.  Back to work on Monday.  

No way could I do that at Bonneville.

I was having trouble figuring out what kind of leathers to get.  The rulebook says "limited perforations are allowed in the armpit and back of knee" and "no cloth or non-leather panels are allowed".  The perforations thing might be tricky - I've been having trouble finding leathers in town that don't have some sort of perforated panels in the elbow area.  Also, any Quasimodo bump on the back of the leathers puts you in a partial streamliner class.
for licensing I had to go 125mph, then 150, then 175, then it's >200mph for the A license.

Your best bet is to talk with some fo the guys who have gone to Bonne or mirage to ask them the specifics of how thing run and how strict the rules are.

Vanson is a good source for leathers. Expensive but would have what you need. My leathers are no only good for Maxton.

try joe amo's board: www.landracing.com. it is the source for scta action, cars and bikes. joe and john have years and years of racing experience at bonneville and are veyr very helpful.

consider doing the motorcycle only event at bonneville: Bub's Speed Trials

I have run at texas and will run at maxton next month for the suepr streetbike magazine bike shootout. bonneville is finally on tap for next year. I have a slow mostly stock bike, but it makes some power
ices_rofl.gif

Also, any Quasimodo bump on the back of the leathers puts you in a partial streamliner class. [/QUOTE]
Why not remove the hump. A leather guy/gal should be able to get it done I would think.

Back