Need tips for Bonneville

djstewart

Registered
Hi folks, I'm a long time racer but new to Hayabusas. I am planning to ride from Miami, FL to Bonneville (BUB race) this year via Rt 66 (a bucket list item!). I chose a Busa because it is the only vehicle I know of that can endure this length of road trip and still have enough speed to make a good showing at Bonneville. My Busa is a 2002 with minor mods (lengthened swing arm, headers, power commander, and lowered front) and I'm hoping to hit (not maintain but just hit and back-off) a speed of 200mph at Bonneville. I need a mentor who can tell me what to expect in terms of the reality of my goals, what to expect riding the Bonneville course, tire/gearing, any other survival tips. Thanks for any help you can give. Feel free to call or e-mail
DJ Stewart
786-252-9721
darrstew@msn.com

Give me a PM. And we can talk. Im no expert but I did have good results my first time on the salt. the website listed above was about me. It was on my bucket list too. Just remember to enjoy the run and just have FUN. :beerchug:

will also not claim expert status but have done 203 mph at BUB in 2009 with stock wheel base. found out the hard way about extended swingarms on the salt in 2010. Unless you're prepared to add 80 to 150 lbs of weight to the swingarm you will get nothing but rear wheel spin from extensions. I got rid of my modest 3" ext after 3 days of racing. Leslie Porterfield's suspension guy gave me some good advice about ride height and extentions. Seems silly to add unsprung weight but lots of people do it with success. They are mostly turbo charged with plenty of power to spare. I'm at 1397cc 200 hp but otherwise no power adders. I chose to go back to stock wheel base and it immediately improved traction. I'll be at BUB this year looking to set a couple of +200 mph records in the 1650 class. Be happy to share whatever I've learned in my 4 short years of racing on the salt but nothing beats experience. Good luck and hope to see you on the salt in 2011.

First of all - do it! Riding and racing is fun. Last year I rode to El Mirage, raced, and rode home.

What you want to do is line up some support for when you're at Bonneville. You'll need a place to stay, plan a hotel early or shack up with friends at the bend in the road. You won't be able to pack a tent with you and ride.

Also, you will need some sort of mechanical support out there. You need basic tools, shade, supplies (water, clothes, food). For your pits, you'll need to put a tarp down and you must have shade.

Truthfully, anybody at Bonneville will loan or give you all this stuff - you just have to ask. Talk to folks that are going and get started planning.

Lastly, you probably won't run 200. Sorry to burst your bubble but stock Busas don't go 200. A stock Busa will run anywhere from 150-185 and change. Basic mods will get you a little more. Big mods will get you a little more (maybe). The Salt gives what it gives.

For BUB, it is not as busy as Speedweek and the weather is different so camping (for free) is a little sketchy. Hotels will be easier to come by. Since there's fewer attendees, the vendors at the Salt are fewer (the food trailer for instance might not be there all days).

For your bike, depending on how much long distance riding you do, I would say get bar risers, a big tank bag, a big backpack, and that's about all you need. (I also have a CamelBack that I use). Of course, you will have to take all this stuff off when you get there.

Don't forget the bike will need to be race prepped which means safety wire, fuel cutoff lanyard, leathers, all that stuff. Also, I'm not sure if BUB did it but SCTA just went to a race tire rule for classes where the record is over 200mph which is every class a Busa races in. So you'll need race tires if the new SCTA rule applies (it probably doesn't but you should check).

any more questions, feel free to email as I don't check here too often. Speedracer_1340@att.blackberry.net

Back