BMW s1000RR engine siezed

Hmmm! Could you seize a Busa by doing the same thing? I THINK NOT!

Anything's possible:laugh: Every bike, machine, whatever is subject to being screwed up during assembly. And on a production line, tolerances will vary slightly anyway(of course usually not enough to matter)Humans make mistakes, and humans program the machinery that can screw up something.
Maybe whatever the failed part in question turns out be is one of a few bad parts from a supplier that slipped through. At least BMW is making it right. They kinda have to for the reputation of the new bike, especially on a track.

Just so you guys understand how the race guys work, they don't buy a bike of any make or model and gently break it in over the first 600 miles. The bike goes straight from the dealership like a big dog (In the back of a pickup truck) to the dyno where it's given the HARD breakin for an hour or so (The HARD breakin gains an additional 2-3 HP). Some racers will break them in on the track using the HARD breakin system but they all get the HARD breakin.

It's then given all the suspension/brakes etc. upgrades before it's hauled to the track for a few test runs. Usually a few track days before it ever sees a race. This particular BMW passed through these very same hoops.

Every race bike I know has gone through this HARD breakin period and not one Gixxer1K, R1, ZX10 or CBR1000 has siezed up. As a matter of fact I have not seen or heard of any one of the big 4 having a single siezed engine during the warranty period (12 months). That's an entire season of racing!

This single BMW sieze alone does not mean BMW has a problem but this particulay engine did have a problem. So I understand, the BMW dealer is replacing the engine today from a floor bike and the race bike will be back on the track for tomorrow's WMRRA race in Seattle.

I'll keep you guys up on how the second engine works out! :beerchug:

Apparently there were a number of reports of pre-mature wear on bikes used at various tracks and that is why BMW re-called to put in the 600 mile 9000rpm limitation. This is not a single case. Time will tell, the bike is doing well in Superstock SBK leading all the way but the Superbike section Suzuki is leading. So it means once you do work on these motors, the Beemer shows no advantage, but in stock mode it sure does.

I remember a thread a while back that showed a cutaway of the valves and valve train running full on.
In the video it talked about all the extensive testing done to make sure it was tough.
Strange how Bimmer cars are almost indestructible and run forever and now their bikes are crapping all over ?

One blow engine does not make for crapping all over :poke: :laugh:

Straight to the race track from the dealer is a bad move for any engine motorcycle or car:laugh:

I have heard good things from BMW bikes only complaint was cost of maintenance or repair but most of the owners I talked too bragged about their reliability.

Lets see how it goes a little longer down the road before planting the epic fail flag out.

No one beats Honda for reliability imo :thumbsup:

Last edited:
this is why you never buy the first one... every time it seems like on of the companies "break ground" their engine break right after. look at the new aprilia, they broke the magazine bike. didnt even make it 1 day.

im sure theyll get it fixed and itll work out. you can only test so many things, giving a product to racers is probably the best testing out there.

hopefully they warranty this bike better than previous machines

also even if they warranty it fully and the owner doesnt lose a dime, it wouldnt set well with me to have the most expensive and supposedly best liter bike in the shop because of a blown engine

Last edited:
I can't understand why people flog the piss out of their brand new bikes. I remember back in '84 seeing a guy riding a Ninja like mine who was abusing the hell out of it. It was blowing smoke from the exhaust too. I pulled up next to him to tell him this and he basically shrugged his shoulders like bfd.

One member here said they (BMW) was going to replace the engine, this is a good move on behalf of BMW. Granted I have never heard of a Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, or a Yamaha with seized engine during the warranty period. But how much static would you catch trying to get one of these 4 bike builders to replace a seized engine. Give'm a chance to make it right and lets see what happens then.

You've been watching too many BMW commercials...I've got one (2003 M5) and they are a HIGH MAINTENANCE machine (but FUN).

I don't think I'd go out and run one like that without breaking it in first to be sure....which is also the reason why you don't buy first year run models...

They aren't that bad, cost to repair just depends if you have a "M" model or not... :laugh:

Lets not forget anytime you take it to the dealer you are going to get raped. It doesn't matter if it's a BMW, Chevy, Hyundai, whatever....a local shop is always going to be cheaper. You've also got to know where to get your parts from... ;)

I'm sure you take care of your vehicles but our family has had a few BMW's with pretty good luck. We had a 325i with over 325k miles on it. My parents currently have a '01 325i with 180k+ miles. Also had a 190e with 210k+ miles on it when they sold it. The wife currently has a '07 328i with 40k and not a single problem yet... :beerchug:

LOVE the BMW's but they are a little more pricey (but worth it IMO).... :thumbsup:

Back