Bluegauges Problem

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
My bluegauges are less than a year old, and the LEDs barely light up anymore. I contacted Scott at bluegauges and found out a few things it woulld have been nice to know when I installed them.

1) The gauges run on 140V AC
2) The adjuster for the 12V DC to 140 V AC transformer is not waterproof.
3) Getting the adjuster wet will cause your gauges to stop lighting up.
4) Scott can make them without the adjuster if you want them that way.

Be careful where you mount the adjuster. It needs to be mounted where it cannot get wet. I'm not sure where that is on the Busa.

Dennis,
Is he going to fix it for you? I put my adj right ontop of the gauge pod above the clock. As long as I am moving very little water should get that far up. The other thing is I try very hard not to ride in the rain.

Don

Thanks for the info. i will try to keep mine water free when I install mine.

I read your post about getting the adjusted wet in the group buy section, so I mounted mine on top of the ram air tube under the upper inner pannel. I would need to reach it much, since I don't plan to adjust it much, other than from blue to blue green.

Thanks for posting the "Don't let this happen to you" thread...
+1 on scott fixing them? Is he going to take care of that for you? One issue that I see is that he would probably have to replace the transformer and adjuster... I wonder if you could splice in a new adjuster?

Dennis, sorry to hear this... I mounted mine above the gauge cluster/clock!
Road in a two hour down pour coming home from the MNGII, without any problems!

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 23 2006,06:06) I read your post about getting the adjusted wet in the group buy section, so I mounted mine on top of the ram air tube under the upper inner pannel.  I would need to reach it much, since I don't plan to adjust it much, other than from blue to blue green.

+1 on scott fixing them?  Is he going to take care of that for you?  One issue that I see is that he would probably have to replace the transformer and adjuster... I wonder if you could splice in a new adjuster?
What option did you get to be able to switch colors??

Dayum........Did I miss and option.

Please post some pics when you get them in.

(BlueHaya @ Oct. 23 2006,09:40) I posted the pic below over in the group buy thread... s far as switching colors, here's what I mean: the dial on the right side of the adjuster controls the brightness, the two position sliding switch on the left changes tyhe hue of the gauges - basically shifts from a blue to a blue green.... this is basically evident if you look at the color differeince on the top of the adjuster... from what I can see that switch controls the illumiglo part of the gauges; with leds the lights (blue and red are bright) but the illumiglo lights up the whole gauge...
So, you got all the options, ya didn't miss anything.

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 23 2006,06:06) I read your post about getting the adjusted wet in the group buy section, so I mounted mine on top of the ram air tube under the upper inner pannel.  I would need to reach it much, since I don't plan to adjust it much, other than from blue to blue green.

+1 on scott fixing them?  Is he going to take care of that for you?  One issue that I see is that he would probably have to replace the transformer and adjuster... I wonder if you could splice in a new adjuster?
What option did you get to be able to switch colors??

Dayum........Did I miss and option.  

Please post some pics when you get them in.
I posted the pic below over in the group buy thread... s far as switching colors, here's what I mean: the dial on the right side of the adjuster controls the brightness, the two position sliding switch on the left changes tyhe hue of the gauges - basically shifts from a blue to a blue green.... this is basically evident if you look at the color differeince on the top of the adjuster... from what I can see that switch controls the illumiglo part of the gauges; with leds the lights (blue and red are bright) but the illumiglo lights up the whole gauge...
So, you got all the options, ya didn't miss anything.

bluegauges_4_bessie__Small_.jpg

(usn04limited @ Oct. 23 2006,07:01) Dennis,  
   Is he going to fix it for you?  I put my adj right ontop of the gauge pod above the clock.  As long as I am moving very little water should get that far up.  The other thing is I try very hard not to ride in the rain.

Don
He's going to fix them. I just need to mail them back. I'm not sure if I want the adjustable transformer again or if I just want a set transformer. I have time to think about it since I'm not doing anything with them until I'm ready to pull the bike apart this winter for some other mods.

hey dennis sorry for your problem hope it works out for you.
after i read about yours geting wet i moved mine to where the top of upper inner panel
i used velcro and stuck it between the gagues and the push pin that is there.

just throwing this idea out there. my 2.5cents

Good for you BusaWhipped. BlueGauges and Scott seems to be stand up, that is a great attribute.

Thanks for the explaination Shawn. I should get mine in a day or two.

I've had mine on the top of the cluster for 1 year on my 04 and 2 years on my 02 and never had a problem. I ride in the rain all the time and never worried about it when I was washing the bike either.
rock.gif

Hokay, so a couple of things have had me thinking since I got my gauges back -
1. Why does my dimmer change colors when I move the switch, but my gauges don't?
B. What happens if my dimmer gets wet?
3. Why do whales beach themselves, but elephants never wander out to sea?

Here is what I have come up with. I have the reverse style illumiglo guages. The green is unavailable on the gauge side, but still works on the dimmer side. Simply put, I only have one color.... I thought I noticed a difference, but it is only that the gauges flicker once when I change the switch.

Also, for anyone who's dimmer no longer works... the dimmer and inverter unit is only $20 located at Street racer parts here
It has plug connectors, so all you would have to do is pull your gauges and replace the unit your self, rather than have to send the whole thing back to blue gauges... for just a little more than shipping, you have no down time on your scoot.

Still working on number three...

Thanks MCM. I'm going to run this past Scott at Bluegauges and make sure its the same thing. I'll keep y'all posted.

(BusaWhipped @ Oct. 27 2006,21:11) Thanks MCM.  I'm going to run this past Scott at Bluegauges and make sure its the same thing.  I'll keep y'all posted.
I am pretty sure it is, 'cause the dimmer even says Street racer parts and I spoke to them on the phone...
But let us know what Scott says...
Just trying to keep you from having to send them back brother!

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 27 2006,21:41)
(BusaWhipped @ Oct. 27 2006,21:11) Thanks MCM.  I'm going to run this past Scott at Bluegauges and make sure its the same thing.  I'll keep y'all posted.
I am pretty sure it is, 'cause the dimmer even says Street racer parts and I spoke to them on the phone...
But let us know what Scott says...
Just trying to keep you from having to send them back brother!
Thanks for looking out, but it looks like they need to go back.

"Yes, that is the one. It has not been modified in any way but it is soldered to the circuit board inside the gauges and cannot simply swap it. If you try to open the gauge, it will be very difficult to get the gauges back together without pinching wires and therefore your warranty will be void. There is also the possibilty that the transformer isnt the problem to begin with.

Scott"

I sent the gauges back to Bluegauges on Monday. I have an email today saying they are fixed and on their way back. I don't know what went wrong with them. I asked Scott today. I'm sure I'll have an answer this weekend.

BTW, for anyone trying to contact them, their power was out for a day and a half this week.

Yes he is and he stands behind his work.   The transformer went bad.  He wasn't able to determine why.  Could have been manufacturer defect that took a while to rear its ugly head.  Some of they guys noticed the gauges flickering a little at the M&G.  Its all good though, Scott repaired under warranty.  Since the bike was apart for the paint job anyway, no lost riding time
smile.gif

Hi,

My bluegauges stopped working on Monday. I believe it happened due to overheat as I saw smoke comming from the adjuster.
Now I can't see anything when driving at night.
Do you guys believe that the dimmer and inverter mentioned below from Street Racer Parts will fit? I have the reverse style for 2008 model busa.
Has anyone tried it out?
I wonder as I'm living in Greece and to send back the gauges to Bluegauges is out of the question due to long shipping time.

Thanks.

Back