Blackberry users, I need some serious help.

Zoinks!

Registered
I have an 8330 and I got an email the other day saying a software update was available. So today I tried to update it. When it got to about 2/3 complete it told me it couldn't connect to my device. It connected fine when it was removing everything, but right before it started loading everything it said it couldn't connect. It told me to disconnect it, restore the backup file it created right before starting the update, and try again. It wouldn't let me restore anything, so I decided to go ahead and download the new software, restore the old file to get all my apps, contacts, etc. back, and then try to update it again. So I did that, but when I loaded the backup file all my apps were gone, including some of the original apps that came on the phone like the password keeper. Then when I tried to update it again it told me there weren't any updates available. I still have v4.5 instead of 5.0. I had 5.0 until I restored the old file, obviously, but now it won't let me get 5.0 back and I can't find any way to get my apps back. I even tried restoring a file from a few months ago, but it still didn't give me my apps back, and I specifically remember them being backed up. Is there anything I can do to get everything back?

I love mine, but I'm pretty pissed about this. I don't understand what the point of backing it up is if it's not gonna give me the stuff back when I restore it. It backed up everything. Why won't it give it back to me?

Well if it turns out to be a problem with the phone I still have mine and can send it to you.

The phone works just fine. I just lost all my apps trying to update the phone. And now it still won't give me my apps back even with an older backup file. Thanks for the offer, though.

Well, I finally figured it out. You have to go in and manually reload all the apps, and then restore the data to them. I've been working on this crap literally ALL DAY. I'm glad it's finally done.

Yep, you figured it out - sorry ya had to do it....it's a PITA.

But in defense of that, all the phones are a PITA. I've spent all day fixing iPhones, too.

I'm assuming that you're doing all of this through BB Desktop Manager. In the Backup/Restore part, you should be able to select several different things to restore from the backup file, apps being one of them.

glad you got it fixed :beerchug: i got an update e-mail a couple days ago also but am just ignoring it since i'm about to replace the phone anyway, it's not worth the risk of something going wrong at this point!

I went through a similar situation. Worst part I didnt have anything backed up so I lost EVERYTHING! End result, I got a refurbished phone. the refub one just started acting up. I cant lock my phone and my camera wont open! time for a new phone! All done with bb's

I was dealing with crap like this on the way to the Bash......took over an hour on the phone with a rep to fix an issue with my BBM. September I get my iphone!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm assuming that you're doing all of this through BB Desktop Manager. In the Backup/Restore part, you should be able to select several different things to restore from the backup file, apps being one of them.

Yea, I was using DM. The problem I had was when I first started, I was using DM v4.5. The one that comes with the phone. Reason is, I had updated it on my computer and then it wouldn't recognize my phone. When I tried to restore the apps it said there weren't any. Not even some of the default ones like the memo pad and password keeper (the 2 main ones I was worried about). And when I'd open the backup file, things like the memo pad and password keeper were read only files that I couldn't restore cause the app wasn't on the phone. I finally decided to download the updated DM since I was on dad's computer and maybe it would work and it did. And when I clicked on the "applications" tab they finally showed up and let me add them back to the phone. Then it was just a matter of going back to the backup file and restoring all the content into the apps. Still a royal PITA and major time consumption. But at least it's all back now.

so true, had to do it to mine the other day.

Before getting my Torch had a Pearl Flip and had same issues, one thing did find out if you goto BB site and download O/S file for your phone do not download the generic one look on their site for the file for your specific service provider. Each provider provides different software packages as OEM with the phone when you buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back